This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB Formating Tool & making Live USB drive for Kubuntu KDE Plasma 5

I have recently switched to KUbuntu KDE Plasma 5 and I am loving it.

I previously used Linux Mint 17 cinnamon, which had build in tools USB Stick Formatter and USB Image Writer.

Is there any similar tool to

1) Format a USB Drive to desired format fat32,ntfs,ext4 etc.,
    2) To make a Live USB Drive

for KUbuntu with KDE Plasma 5.

For USB Formatter, I have tried one from link http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=137493, but fails at cmake. Also, some of its user comments are not encouraging to use it. Moreover, it seems it has been developed for KDE 4.6.5, can I successfuly use it with KDE 5.1.1.

I know about the command line, but would love to have a GUI tool.

Kindly help.

Manish B

For#1, look for Partition Manager, I have it here, but not sure if it is installed by default on the plasma 5 iso. It should be there if you upgraded from Kde 4. Many people prefer gparted for these tasks, as well.

For # 2, you should have the usb-creator-kde program already installed. This does work only for Ubuntu based distributions, however. Unetbootin is an option that works for most distros.

Do note that kde 4 applications do work just fine in plasma 5, as a matter of fact most all the kde programs you have in your plasma 5 are kde 4. They are developed separately from the plasma desktop. The only things your are missing will mainly be some configuration modules in System Settings which are not yet ported to plasma 5, such as Kdeconnect and Bluetooth

Sent from my Verizon HTC Droid DNA Android smartphone running LiquidSmooth Rom, with Kit Kat 4.4.4, via Tapatalk, as if phone stats really matter

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post

For#1, look for Partition Manager, I have it here, but not sure if it is installed by default on the plasma 5 iso. It should be there if you upgraded from Kde 4. Many people prefer gparted for these tasks, as well.

For # 2, you should have the usb-creator-kde program already installed. This does work only for Ubuntu based distributions, however. Unetbootin is an option that works for most distros.

Have tried #1 option once, but did not succeed, shall try once again and reply.

As for #2 will check and reply.

Also, let me know , whether there are any sites

1) Where I can download KDE 4 apps ported to Plasma 5?
      2) Where I can download pure / latest Plasma 5 apps, widgets?

Thank you for the reply.

Manish B

Comment

Originally posted by mrb260478 View Post
        Have tried #1 option once, but did not succeed, shall try once again and reply.

As for #2 will check and reply.

Also, let me know , whether there are any sites

1) Where I can download KDE 4 apps ported to Plasma 5?
        2) Where I can download pure / latest Plasma 5 apps, widgets?

Thank you for the reply.

Manish B
        The KDE partitioning tool is found under Applications >> System in the Kmenu.
        The USB tool is there as well - Startup Disk Creator.

Now, as they have split development of things up in KDE, there isn't really "Plasma 5 Applications" per se.

KDE will consist of:
        Frameworks 5 -( the core foundation and libraries)
        Plasma 5 (the desktop shell and widgets)
        Applications - the programs.

Applications will have their own versioning based on the date, the next release of applications will be released by KDE this month and will be version 14.12.

Here is some more on this

You already are running a number of programs that are built on Frameworks 5 - Dolphin, Gwenview, Konsole, Ksysguard, Kate and more.
        If you want the very latest and unofficial and likely unstable stuff, including a number of programs built using Frameworks5, you would need to use the kubuntu-ci ppa. You won't notice much if any difference in the applications though, and there are some bugs here and there.

As for plasma widgets, you probably have all the Plama 5 ones currently in existence. The community have not yet moved to creating or porting their widgets over to Plasma 5. Once more people and distros use Plasma 5 by default, we should see more being made.

So, tl;dr: you already have all the latest and greatest stuff available.
        Last edited by claydoh; Dec 02, 2014, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          Unetbootin is an option that works for most distros.
          Unetbootin won't create UEFI-bootable media; it can only handle BIOS. Modern machines require creating boot media with UEFI support. In Linux, use Mkusb. In Windows, use Win32DiskImager.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
            Unetbootin won't create UEFI-bootable media; it can only handle BIOS. Modern machines require creating boot media with UEFI support. In Linux, use Mkusb. In Windows, use Win32DiskImager.
            Awe you folks and yer new-fangled doo-hickeys

I keep forgetting about the UEFI stuff...

Comment

Ran across this, and thought it might be useful. Works for any bootable iso if you don't mind the gnome depends. I haven't investigated the backend, but seems similar to using dd. Used it to make Vivid daily live USB, and openSUSE 13.2 live USB (inside Kubuntu). Never did feel at home with Fedora.

http://fedoramagazine.org/how-to-mak...g-gnome-disks/
              Last edited by 67GTA; Dec 07, 2014, 12:33 AM.
              Klaatu Barada Nikto

Comment

Working...
              X