This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need expert with transcode experience.

I am currently backing up my Stargate Atlantis Series to USB 3.0 stick; the second disk has never played on any Player, including the commercial ones used for TV's. Usind Handbrake, I am getting perfect results on all the other disks.

I used Handbrake to copy the defective disk anyway, which took an inordinate amount of time, sometimes transcoding at a small fragment of a foot per second, but got a complete copy.

When replaying the disk, the appearance is similar to a disk played on a windows transcode without the libdvdcss2 file.

The Log file is so long, just less than 6MB, so I did not post it, but Forum willing, I will, if it is necessary for review.

I read the entire log file, even though my experience is not up to the task. What I noticed was a pattern of error, or deviations, that appear not at all random, like may be realized if a scratch had damaged the disk. (The disk appears visually perfect, when looking at the DVD.)

My knowledge of transcoding and area fixing on DVDrom's is so limited, it is difficult to make a decision as to what my problem may be in failing to be able to copy some of my DVD movie collection.

Nevertheless I would like to correct the problem, and I have waited too long trying to solve this problem to take advantage of any warrantee that may have been part of my purchase of the Series.

One thought was that if I could change the code for my DVDRW to accept other reagions, I might solve the problem. That is why I need someone like you.

The other solution is to know what the region code is on the DVD. I looked for something that might suggest it in the log file, but if it is there, I must have overlooked it or misunderstood it's meaning. With this I would at least know if I got a DVD that was selected from a different reagion than the rest of my series. I would think it possible to exchange that DVD with the maker, even though I am past any warantee considerations.

I also have several movie DVD's that I purchased and have not been able to make backups. I would like to encode them too to USB 3.0. I thought perhaps the region fix may solve that problem too, but that doesn't seem as logical.

It doesn't seem fair to me that a person can invest a lot of money purchasing an expensive collection of DVDs, with no one ever mentioning the fragility of the DVD itself, and then outlawing the backup of same to protect your investment.

Backing up my collection to USB 3.0 has been a wonderful experience. The graphics are superior, and the play and use of the backups is easier. And storage space is much handier, with no surface of a DVD to scratch or damage.

If you have the knowledge to solve my problem, and not the willingness to post the solution due to ethical reasons, please post privately to me using the forum's private messaging.

I promise to NOT break copyright rules on Movies I have not purchased, if that makes a difference to you. Thanks for the help.

It does seem strange that you can backup most of your DVD's but some you can't especially ones that have never been used.

Anyway, to change the DVD region to backup your DVD's install
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install dvdbackup
    Then follow the usage here http://dvdbackup.sourceforge.net/usage.html

If you need to change the region of your DVD drive / player then install
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install regionset
    Follow instructions on this web page http://www.hecticgeek.com/2012/02/dv...-ubuntu-linux/

I hope these help you.
    Last edited by Guest; Dec 01, 2014, 08:12 AM.

Comment

I would separate the reading of the disk from the transcoding. Do a raw copy of the dvd to your hard drive. Then do a checksum on the disk and compare it to a checksum on the hard drive copy. If they match, you can go on with transcoding with the hard drive copy. If they don't match, make sure you are doing the checksum correctly. Then..maybe try a different dvd drive? This should help narrow down the problem. good luck
      FKA: tanderson

Comment

I must leave this project for a while. I had an arterial bleed on my brain and am recovering. Lucky to survive. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your health problems, get plenty of bed rest and get well soon.

Comment

Working...
          X