Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I restore sound to my Kubuntu 14.04 Laptop?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I restore sound to my Kubuntu 14.04 Laptop?

From this source, I got the below sound troubleshooting procedure. I completed the instruction to the last command when the system required a restart. I have not installed the last command, because sound did not return, and the last command concerned me a bit. I do not understand the 'whoami' at the end and thought perhaps I was installing something I shouldn't.

The command line procedure took a long time; at the end there was no trouble shooting procedure given. I am confused; can someone explain what I should do next to restore sound, or correct any mistakes I made by attempting this procedure?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/So...otingProcedure

sudo apt-get update;sudo apt-get dist-upgrade; sudo apt-get install pavucontrol linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils lightdm ubuntu-desktop linux-image-`uname -r` libasound2; sudo apt-get -y --reinstall install linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils lightdm ubuntu-desktop linux-image-`uname -r` libasound2; killall pulseaudio; rm -r ~/.pulse*; ubuntu-support-status; sudo usermod -aG `cat /etc/group | grep -e '^pulse:' -e '^audio:' -e '^pulse-access:' -e '^pulse-rt:' -e '^video:' | awk -F: '{print $1}' | tr '\n' ',' | sed 's:,$::g'` `whoami`

Thanks!

My system is dual boot, Kubuntu 14.04/Windows Vista. Sound works fine in Vista, but not even the system sounds work in Kubuntu.
    Last edited by Shabakthanai; Nov 28, 2014, 05:40 PM. Reason: Left out something important.

Hehe, just try whoami in a konsole, no grief!

Worse is you would install the whole ubuntu-desktop!
    Carefully read the warning for Kubuntu users at the top of step 1!
    Then follow the instructions without ubuntu-desktop (2x) and ubuntu-support-status.

Sorry to see you are again having problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
      Hehe, just try whoami in a konsole, no grief!

Worse is you would install the whole ubuntu-desktop!
      Carefully read the warning for Kubuntu users at the top of step 1!
      Then follow the instructions without ubuntu-desktop (2x) and ubuntu-support-status.

Sorry to see you are again having problems.
      I sometimes think there are gremlins in my computer. I realize it is because of my inefficiency and not the machine, but I seem to have more problems than most.

I chalk it up to the fact that I always operate a relatively current version of the Kubuntu OS and am always working over my head, but I am getting old and do not want to miss out on some of the benefits of fast growing technology. I also enjoy the learning process, except when I hit a stone wall of a problem.

I can't believe how many times new problems happen when opening a new installation of the selfsame OS. I guess that is why I relate to the gremlins. In my mind there doesn't seem a logical answer.

I have installed fresh versions of Kubuntu so many times, I am getting to a point where I would like to skip that as a solution, but I suppose I will have to. In my case, I can almost expect a new set of problems with a new installation. It always seems to happen that way. Like the kids say, Ooooh Welllll. Thanks for your interest.

One last thing, I really get confused when Windows does a better job than Kubuntu on any small issue. The gap between the two is so great in favor of Kubuntu that it is difficult to understand how something simple like sound could function in Windows and provide a stone wall in Kubuntu. You see, I had to install Windows 7 at the selfsame time as I installed my current version of Kubuntu. I lost the HDD in my laptop and thereby lost my dual-boot in that computer. I appreciate your kind interest. I will never give up in my pursuit of learning the things that are so commonly known to most Linux users. Thanks again friend for the input

Comment

Working...
      X