This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound is not functioning on Kubuntu.

I am using dual boot of Windows-7 and Kubuntu 14.10 (upgraded more than a month ago). For some specific works, I must come to windows and most other occasions, I am using Kubuntu for operating the computer. And, it has been like this since the past five years that I have owned this laptop. Kubuntu versions have been progressively upgraded in the interim period and the Windows version has remained the same since installation although the necessary updates are taking place. Just today morning, some updates to Kubuntu has happened. So, the system software is updated to the latest available version.

The previous version of Kubuntu that I had on this was 12.10 --- never upgraded through the three interim versions. Since the past year or more, I have been noticing that the sound system just does not work in Kubuntu. I have been ignoring this for so long and now, even after upgrading to the latest version, the problem continues. However, the system works fine when I am on Windows and so, I am sure the problem is NOT with the hardware. None of the videos produce sound from the speakers.

The laptop is Acer Aspire 5536G. The different hardware components available are as follows: AMD Turion X2 technology RM 74 (2.2 GHz) plus 3 GB RAM plus 500 GB HDD plus 15.6" HD LED LCD plus ATI mobility Radeon HD 4570 512 MB VRAM plus Dolby Home Theater virtual surround sound.

Can someone please help me solve this problem?

Question: When in Kubuntu, I understand your laptop speakers do not function. But, can you hear sound through headphones if you have a set of headphones plugged in?

Comment

Open a Konsole and enter
      sudo alsamixer
      Select your sound device (F6) and press F5 to display all the contols (you may have to scroll sideways with your arrow keys).
      Run the appropriate sliders up to the top. IF one is not active press the M key to toggle it on. Be careful not to turn your mic boost on too high. One of them has probably been too low and pulse audio doesn't set it. After you get the sound back hit the ESC key to exit the program.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
      X