This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installation

Okay. Installation has been rough. DVD Image does not boot because of sa-ae issues in /etc/rc2.d/s02sddm. I do not know how to fix that because I can't find that file on the disk. So I did a terminal install:

sudo dpkg --configure -a because dpkg says to do it if I don't
    sudo apt-get-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/next
    sudo apt-get update --fix-missing
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade --fix-missing
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-plasma5-desktop plasma-workspace-wallpapers

It asks me to select a display manager. I selected the default,

sudo reboot

It boots to the login screen . So I login. All a get is a blank desktop with the default kubuntu wallpaper.

This is painful, because each try requires reinstalling 14.04 updating it, and upgrading it to 14.10, and setting up my desktop, panel, and tray the way I want it. This time I'm backing up before I retry. My data is in dropbox so I don't lose it, but the reinstall of the os each time is getting old.

Any suggestions or ideas on what to do here?

Okay. Trying again. Shortening the effort, burnt a 14.10 image to skip the 14.04 update/upgrade. Trying first without the dpkg configure. Also droping the --fix-missings and .the dist-upgrade. Installing only the desktop

Comment

Still had to configure dpkg and the install destroys 14.10. It boots to a blank black screen after following the steps given on the kubuntu install page.

Comment

I will eventually learn to back up one of these days :P I am giving up on trying an early look at this and I'm going to wait for the stable release.

Comment

Just partition with a separate /home dir, this will save you having to set up any personalizations and application settings

Sent from my Verizon HTC Droid DNA Android smartphone running LiquidSmooth Rom, with Kit Kat 4.4.4, via Tapatalk, as if phone stats ready matter

Comment

Also, figuring out the 14.10 install issues will save time- why are you having to use dpkg , etc?

Using apt-get dist-upgrade (or sudo apt full-upgrade) is actually vital and necessary

Sent from my Verizon HTC Droid DNA Android smartphone running LiquidSmooth Rom, with Kit Kat 4.4.4, via Tapatalk, as if phone stats ready matter

Comment

sudo apt update uses dpgk and fails if you don't do a dpkg --configure -a. I'm having no problem installing 14.10, never have. It's trying to install plasma 5 that I'm having problems with. Maybe I didn't make myself clear.

These are my steps:
              Install 14.10
              Open a konsole session
              sudo apt-add-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/next
              sudo dpgk --configure -a (or updates fail)
              sudo apt update
              sudo apt install kubuntu-plasma5-desktop (Doesn't matter which display manager I select)
              sudo apt full-upgrade
              sudo reboot

Those are the cli commands that are listed on the kubuntu download page for installing plasma 5 in 14.10.
              It reboots to a blank black screen after the kubuntu logo appears. Never gets to a login screen.

Comment

you may have better luck with the plasma5 .ISO ,,,,,,,, @hear http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

or the instructions @hear http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/...-5-1-released/

ether way remember this is a tech preview NOT a stable release .....that will be in 15.?

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Yah Vinny. I think I'm better off waiting for 15. The iso has a problem with sane settings and I don't know where to find the file in the iso to fix it. I have had 5 up and running in other distros but not everything runs. I like kubuntu a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by retnavychief View Post
                    sudo apt update uses dpgk and fails if you don't do a dpkg --configure -a. I'm having no problem installing 14.10, never have. It's trying to install plasma 5 that I'm having problems with. Maybe I didn't make myself clear.

These are my steps:
                    Install 14.10
                    Open a konsole session
                    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/next
                    sudo dpgk --configure -a (or updates fail)
                    sudo apt update
                    sudo apt install kubuntu-plasma5-desktop (Doesn't matter which display manager I select)
                    sudo apt full-upgrade
                    sudo reboot

Those are the cli commands that are listed on the kubuntu download page for installing plasma 5 in 14.10.
                    It reboots to a blank black screen after the kubuntu logo appears. Never gets to a login screen.
                    apt, aptitude, muon, synaptic all use dpkg underneath

Without seeing why you have to run dpkg, it is difficult to say what the problem is -this command is to configure packages that were not fully installed the last time any previous packages were installed. Odd that this would happen after installing from the iso.

Here would be the best steps:
                    1. Install 14.10
                    2. sudo apt update
                    3. sudo apt full-upgrade
                    4. log out and back in (may have to reboot, especially if there were kernel updates)
                    5. Poke around and make sure things work
                    6. add the plasma-next ppa
                    7. sudo apt update
                    8. sudo apt full-upgrade
                    9. sudo apt install kubuntu-plasma5-desktop
                    10. This step needed to install some missing stuff:
                    11. sudo apt remove plasma-desktop (to remove the kde4 package that did not update)
                    12. sudo apt install plasma-desktop (will install some extra stuff)
                    13. log out or reboot (likely will have to do so from the command line)

Note a slight difference in the order
                    I am using these steps to upgrade my 14.10 desktop as I type

I don't quite recommend the plasma 5 iso, I think many more people have had more drama with that than the much fewer who have used the ppa to upgrade, but might be worth a try

Remember folks, we are still in early stages here. IMO it is not plasma 5 that is the problem, it is the early packaging and dependencies and such, and we are the guinea pigs, those who venture to try it out.
                    Last edited by claydoh; Nov 18, 2014, 08:23 AM. Reason: NOTE ADDED STEP

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post

Without seeing why you have to run dpkg, it is difficult to say what the problem is -this command is to configure packages that were not fully installed the last time any previous packages were installed. Odd that this would happen after installing from the iso.

1. Install 14.10
                      2. sudo apt update
                      3. sudo apt full-upgrade
                      4. log out and back in (may have to reboot, especially if there were kernel updates)
                      7. sudo apt-update
                      8. sudo apt full-upgrade
                      11. sudo apt remove plasma-desktop (to remove the kde4 package that did not update)

I don't quite recommend the plasma 5 iso, I think many more people have had more drama with that than the much fewer who have used the ppa to upgrade, but might be worth a try

Remember folks, we are still in early stages here. IMO it is not plasma 5 that is the problem, it is the early packaging and dependencies and such, and we are the guinea pigs, those who venture to try it out.
                      Interesting! That worked. Playing with it now

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post

1. Install 14.10
                        2. sudo apt update
                        3. sudo apt full-upgrade
                        7. sudo apt update
                        8. sudo apt full-upgrade

Interesting, you would think that kubuntu would have those steps posted instead of the ones they do have posted. That worked for me with no glitches. I'm up and running. Most of the learning curve differences I had already discovered in other distros. I don't like the small size of the launchers in the panel though and the Application Launcher is mostly useless except for the already installed apps, it doesn't update to show new ones when they are installed. I had to use /usr/share/applications as the source for dragging and dropping links on the desktop. I assume that will be fixed in the stable release. All my apps work. I use Chromium as a second browser to do facebook auto pokes. I like to launch it from the panel and leave it minimized. Chromium wouldn't launch from the panel so I had to link it on the desktop, no biggie. I like to use system-config-samba to add samba users. It installs but does not execute. I only have one user so using the konsole to add is okay. I am happy that smb4k has been fixed to handle cifs also. It had a problem in earlier versions and I couldn't mount shares. Thanks for the help mate. It was crucial. I was about to give up.

Comment

I have solved most of the glitches like having to use cups instead of system settings to install a printer, but how do I install screensavers? The default screen locker is annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by retnavychief View Post
                            Interesting, you would think that kubuntu would have those steps posted instead of the ones they do have posted.
                            Not everyone has had a lot of problems, and from their standpoint plasma 5 in 14.10 is a non-supported thing, most people brave enough to test it out are/should be a bit more experienced in troubleshooting things. I think they are working on the packaging so hopefully it simply is a sudo apt update and full-upgrade away.
                            -
                            That worked for me with no glitches. I'm up and running. Most of the learning curve differences I had already discovered in other distros. I don't like the small size of the launchers in the panel though and the Application Launcher is mostly useless except for the already installed apps, it doesn't update to show new ones when they are installed. I had to use /usr/share/applications as the source for dragging and dropping links on the desktop. I assume that will be fixed in the stable release
                            Odd, I don't see that, though I think that app menus are updated on a schedule. I have never had missing menu items for more than a short period of time.
                            Do note that plasma 5 is NOT stable or official for 14.10, and is not meant to be - though it actually is becoming that way in general

The panel can be resized

All my apps work. I use Chromium as a second browser to do facebook auto pokes. I like to launch it from the panel and leave it minimized. Chromium wouldn't launch from the panel so I had to link it on the desktop, no biggie. I like to use system-config-samba to add samba users. It installs but does not execute.
                            That probably has not been ported over to plasma5 yet

I only have one user so using the konsole to add is okay. I am happy that smb4k has been fixed to handle cifs also. It had a problem in earlier versions and I couldn't mount shares. Thanks for the help mate. It was crucial. I was about to give up.

Comment

15.04 boots from disk and is installed. Works quite well.

Comment

Working...
                              X