X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu i64 to i386

Hi!

I would like to go down to the i386 platform of kubuntu. Currently I got the 64bit version parallel with xp on my d: partition. I also got a shared partition between xp and kubuntu 64 (FAT32 partition).
    Can I just install the i386 version of kubuntu "over" the 64bit version, deleting this or do I have to format my d drive before and also unmount the shared drive?

(reason I want the i386 version is that I can't get flash and other software working on the 64bit version...)

thx for your help!

Re: kubuntu i64 to i386

Hi,

You should be able just to install the i386 version over the 64bits...

Cheers

Comment

gday.

I've just tried this as well. I have Kubuntu gutsy 64bit and I tried installing over the top with the 32bit alternate 7.10 i386.

It asked me to make some more partitions... Whats the proper way to install over the top and keep your stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by bouncingmolar

Whats the proper way to install over the top and keep your stuff.
        If you happened to have been foresighted enough to make a separate partition on your hard drive for your /home directory, then in the installer you simply indicate the partition for "/" and the other partition for "/home" as well as the partition for "swap.

If you didn't separate the /home directory from the rest of the filesystem, then you will have to manually backup (or copy elsewhere) your data files, because there's no way to control the installation of the new OS into a single partition. :P

Out of curiosity, what problems are you having with 64-bit that cause you to want to change it?

Comment

Darn I don't think i made a separate partition for home.

This isn't the only reason, and I don't know if it would fix it anyway (probably not). But I installed a TV card and it isn't being detected. It may just be that it isn't supported (leadtek dtv2000h) But I thought i'd give it a try.

Plus I looked around on the net and am beginning to wonder why i picked 64bit in the first place if most people are still using 32bit.

Comment

You can copy your home partition to a cd if you have a burner installed as well for backup purposes. You should be able to make a home directory backup with keep which should be located in the system folder on the Kmenu. Then burn that to your cd. When your new install is complete, restore from that backup on the cd.

The Leadtek DTV2000h is supported with Kubuntu since the Feisty release (maybe sooner) so it should be recognized by the kernel. Was the card working previously? Check to make sure you also have ir-common, dvb-core and cx88-dvb modules installed as well for full (almost) functionality for the card.

As far as 64bit goes, I'm still using 32bit until the standard swings to 64bit. But you should be able to install anything on a 64bit whether it's made for 32 or 64 bit.
            Slackware 12 - 32 bit on a ABIT Fatal1ty AA8XE Motherboard w/ Pentium 4 3.6 gHz HyperThreaded CPU (OC&#39;d to 4.4 gHz) and 1066 mHz FSB, 4 GB US Modular Low Density DDR2 ram, eVGA Nvidia e-GeForce 6200 LE 512mb PCI-e x16 GFX video. Plays World of Warcraft great!<br /><br />Only Linux @ home since 1996

Comment

So the TV Card should work with the proper setup/configuration. As to getting Flash to work in your 64-bit system, check out FLASHing AMAZING! they've got it right!! (Installing FLASH plugin in kubuntu 64)
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
              X