Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you help me get my package managers working properly?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you help me get my package managers working properly?

I have been living with this problem for a long time. I have not done anything about it due to being busy with other things and forgetting to address the problem, and by using the shell to update and the icons on the panel, I have not really needed the problem repaired anyway.

I believe at least one of my DVDRW's is not properly mounted, however I do not understand the Fetch notice and how to repair the problem, and I also do not know how to solve the other fetch error either.

Below is what appears when I attempt to install updates using Synaptic or Muon Package Managers:

Fetched 1,449 kB in 4s (325 kB/s)
    W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 14.04.1 LTS _Trusty Tahr_ - Release amd64 (20140722.2)/dists/trusty/main/binary-amd64/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 14.04.1 LTS _Trusty Tahr_ - Release amd64 (20140722.2)/dists/trusty/multiverse/binary-amd64/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 14.04.1 LTS _Trusty Tahr_ - Release amd64 (20140722.2)/dists/trusty/restricted/binary-amd64/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 14.04.1 LTS _Trusty Tahr_ - Release amd64 (20140722.2)/dists/trusty/universe/binary-amd64/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 14.04.1 LTS _Trusty Tahr_ - Release amd64 (20140722.2)/dists/trusty/main/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 14.04.1 LTS _Trusty Tahr_ - Release amd64 (20140722.2)/dists/trusty/multiverse/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 14.04.1 LTS _Trusty Tahr_ - Release amd64 (20140722.2)/dists/trusty/restricted/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 14.04.1 LTS _Trusty Tahr_ - Release amd64 (20140722.2)/dists/trusty/universe/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

I remember this happening in the past, but I do not remember how to repair the problem, will you help me? Thanks!

all the "failed to fetch" errors you post are for the CD you knead to remove it (comment it out) from your source list

lets see I think the easiest way would be to open muon>click settings>click configure software sources><password>in the software sources window click the "other software" tab and uncheck any cdroms: you see .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks Vinny. If I fixed the problem, I still do not understand what I just did. Will you explain so that I can learn from this correction? Will both my DVDRW's work properly now? For instance could I copy directly from one to the other? You are the man! Thanks.
      Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
      all the "failed to fetch" errors you post are for the CD you knead to remove it (comment it out) from your source list

lets see I think the easiest way would be to open muon>click settings>click configure software sources><password>in the software sources window click the "other software" tab and uncheck any cdroms: you see .

VINNY

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
        Thanks Vinny. If I fixed the problem, I still do not understand what I just did. Will you explain so that I can learn from this correction? Will both my DVDRW's work properly now? For instance could I copy directly from one to the other? You are the man! Thanks.
        In debian based distributions, it is possible to have a custom CD or DVD that can be used as an additional software repo.

Normally, this option is turned off in the settings, as the package management system would try to scan for a CD or DVD every time it tries to update the Software data, just like it scans the Software repo servers.

As you discovered, it complains when it can't scan a repo, spitting out the warnings you saw. I can't say why this setting was enabled on your computer, but there is nothing wrong with your dvdrom drive at all.

Sent from my Verizon HTC Droid DNA Android smartphone running ViperRom Kit Kat, using Tapatalk, like all that really matters

Comment

Thanks, my friend. It has been a while. I hope all is well with you and yours. Great to hear from you. Steven.
          Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          In debian based distributions, it is possible to have a custom CD or DVD that can be used as an additional software repo.

Normally, this option is turned off in the settings, as the package management system would try to scan for a CD or DVD every time it tries to update the Software data, just like it scans the Software repo servers.

As you discovered, it complains when it can't scan a repo, spitting out the warnings you saw. I can't say why this setting was enabled on your computer, but there is nothing wrong with your dvdrom drive at all.

Sent from my Verizon HTC Droid DNA Android smartphone running ViperRom Kit Kat, using Tapatalk, like all that really matters

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
            Thanks, my friend. It has been a while. I hope all is well with you and yours. Great to hear from you. Steven.

Comment

Working...
            X