X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I restore my right monitor?

BOY AM I EMBARRASSED

I resolved my problem. When I unchecked the box in the center of the right screen, I deactivated the monitor. Furthermore, when I did that the image that identified the right monitor moved to the upper right corner of the screen, and I did not notice that. With only the image of the left monitor in the center of the screen I thought I had lost the connection rather than disabled it, as I must have. When I relocated the image of the right monitor in its appropriate position beside the left monitor and checked the box in the middle of the image, the screen image returned to the right monitor.

I STILL HAVE THE PROBLEM SHOWN BY THE FETCH FAILURE. I WILL MARK THIS POST AS SOLVED AND CREATE A NEW POST.

Kubuntu 14.04 dual-boot w/Windows 7
    KDE 4.13.3
    AMD 8-core @ 4Ghz
    16GB RAM
    2GB DDR5 Radeon Video Card
    SSD
    SSD
    TB @ 6GB/s
    TB @ 3TB/s
    DVDRW
    DVDRW

Here is how the problem appeared:

Applications started opening on the right monitor, but default for open is the left monitor.

I opened System Settings and found that although the left monitor was set as default, both monitors had a check in the check-box in the center of their respective image.

When I unchecked the box in the right monitor image, the screen went black.

After opening a konsole on the remaining screen, I attempted to update and upgrade to see if that might correct the problem. There were several items failed to connect.

I restarted the computer to see if that might correct things. When the login screen appeared, it appeared as normally on both screens, so I logged in, but when Kubuntu opened, the right screen went black again.

I opened Muon Package Manager and attempted to download and install updates; the download failed and although a small window opened showing problems, Muon could not continue the update process.

I opened Symantic Package Manager and duplicated the effort and got the same result. I attempted to copy and paste the items which was quite long, but when I attempted to paste them in the forum post, the window that opened when I expected the paste option showed a vertical list of underlined letters; there was no paste option offered.

I rebooted again, but my automatic login did not work at the forum, so when I logged in, my post was lost; this is my second attempt.

This is what showed when I attempted to update:

Fetched 1,449 kB in 4s (325 kB/s)
    W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 14.04.1 LTS _Trusty Tahr_ - Release amd64 (20140722.2)/dists/trusty/main/binary-amd64/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 14.04.1 LTS _Trusty Tahr_ - Release amd64 (20140722.2)/dists/trusty/multiverse/binary-amd64/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 14.04.1 LTS _Trusty Tahr_ - Release amd64 (20140722.2)/dists/trusty/restricted/binary-amd64/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 14.04.1 LTS _Trusty Tahr_ - Release amd64 (20140722.2)/dists/trusty/universe/binary-amd64/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 14.04.1 LTS _Trusty Tahr_ - Release amd64 (20140722.2)/dists/trusty/main/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 14.04.1 LTS _Trusty Tahr_ - Release amd64 (20140722.2)/dists/trusty/multiverse/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 14.04.1 LTS _Trusty Tahr_ - Release amd64 (20140722.2)/dists/trusty/restricted/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 14.04.1 LTS _Trusty Tahr_ - Release amd64 (20140722.2)/dists/trusty/universe/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

I remember this happening in the past, but I do not remember how to repair the problem, will you help me?
    Last edited by Shabakthanai; Nov 03, 2014, 08:20 PM. Reason: Figured the fix myself.

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
    I opened System Settings and found that although the left monitor was set as default, both monitors had a check in the check-box in the center of their respective image.

When I unchecked the box in the right monitor image, the screen went black.

recheck the box ,,,,,,,,,,this is how you turn on/off screens when running multiple monitors .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thx Vinny, it's been a while. I have been fighting health problems. I have missed you guys and was not disappointed when I found you still helping the needy. I actually figured the problem out before I noticed your reply, but the Fetch problems that were included in the post are still a long lasting problem and I would like to fix them. I marked this post as solved and reposted the part that is still a problem with proper identification in a new post, if you have any ideas. I hope all is well with you and yours. Thanks again, my friend

Comment

all the "failed to fetch" errors you post are for the CD you knead to remove it (comment it out) from your source list

lets see I think the easiest way would be to open muon>click settings>click configure software sources><password>in the software sources window click the "other software" tab and uncheck any cdroms: you see .

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
        X