This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Installing Kubuntu

I have an old p3 laptop that doesn't have a cd or dvd drive attached to it. I was wondering if I could remove the drive and use my desktop computer to install Kubuntu (latest version). Will this mess up the settings and hardware that Kubuntu would find? Can I put that drive back in the laptop and use it?

I am a noob at Linux so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Help Installing Kubuntu

I've installed Ubuntu on a couple of IBM Thinkpads without a drive.

First, what are your boot options? And, what kind of hardware do you have to connect to the computer? Can it boot from a floppy and do you have one? Can it boot from a USB CDROM and do you have one? Can it boot from the network, and do you have a network at home?

You need to give us some more information.

A network install is the easiest IMHO.

Comment

And yes, if you pop the harddrive in your desktop, install Kubuntu, and try to put the harddrive in your laptop you'll have major problems. Kubuntu will install the drivers for your desktop chipset, which your laptop won't have...as well as other hardware. Above poster is right, a network install is your best option.

Comment

Originally posted by neverbeentospain
        I've installed Ubuntu on a couple of IBM Thinkpads without a drive.

First, what are your boot options? And, what kind of hardware do you have to connect to the computer? Can it boot from a floppy and do you have one? Can it boot from a USB CDROM and do you have one? Can it boot from the network, and do you have a network at home?

You need to give us some more information.

A network install is the easiest IMHO.
        The laptop has a floppy drive, but no network port. The network is only available via the docking station which I don't have. It does have options to boot from cd/dvd, but I don't happen to have one. It is possible to get a drive though, but that would take some time.

BTW, I downloaded the ISO file and was going to burn that to a disk. If there is a way to do it through the fdd, then I wouldn't mind pursuing that option too.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
        X