This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to use ARK

Had to reinstall kubuntu 14.04 after a serious system crash. Completed this successfully.
    Now I want to know the precise ARK steps to restore my KBackup /Home files (stored on an external USB drive).
    Thanks in advance for your help!

Most of the options are under the right-click menu of Dolphin.

So go to the back up and right-click it, select Open with Ark or Unpack to.

Comment

Once ARK starts, what specific ARK items do I select. Tried before & got the wrong results!

Comment

are you trying to restore a Kbackup file ?

if so dose not Kbackup have a ,,restore from file option ?

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by Bumpalot View Post
          Once ARK starts, what specific ARK items do I select. Tried before & got the wrong results!
          Without being able to see what is in the archive, in terms of the file hierarchy, it will be difficult to tell you where to extract the whole archive to. You need to line up the folders to match the same folders in your home directory (/home/<your-username>/). If you can take a screenshot of the ark window, or describe the file structure inside the archive, it would help.

Comment

OOOps - I chose the incorrect "reply" - see next post!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Bumpalot; Oct 07, 2014, 04:19 PM. Reason: added in wrong reply !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

@claydoh wanted to see the archive opened in ark (to see what it contaned and how it was arranged) not the "extract to" dialogue.

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ArkContents.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	642497

I will choose the total contents, as this is a reinstall I'm creating.

Comment

Name:	ArkContents_2.png
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	642498

This is the rest of Ark content

Comment

A couple different ways to do this, perhaps the simplest (to me at least) using ark would be to select all the files (ctrl-a) , then ctrl-click on "home" and then "bumpy" to de-select those 2, then tell ark to extract the files to /home/bumpy.

Technically, you would extract all the files in the archive to root (/), as that is how the backup tool has compressed the files. You could try that, but not sure if you would need kdesudo for that.

Comment

Am in desperate help - Tried previous suggestions that did not work.
                      All I need to know are the ARK settings for extraction of my KBackup files.
                      My last ARK extraction:

Name:	Forum_HDrive.png
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	642509
                      IGNORE the other screen shots - they were done days ago 7 no longet relevant

The bumpy folder -Folder Permissions: bumpy) only contains blank usual folders-.
                      The home folder Folder Permissions: root - contain my extracted folders, which of course are useless.

The basic Ark extraction settings are:
                      1. Choose from the opened file list:
                      I selected root/home from the opened list -root home/bumpy
                      Extract into subfolder: bumpy
                      All files
                      Preserve paths when extracting

Sure would appreciate your suggestions so I can have my computer up & running (It's been 3 days now waiting for an answer). Thanks in advance
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Bumpalot; Oct 09, 2014, 04:48 PM. Reason: Many changes occurred sinces last unanswered post

Comment

Working...
                      X