This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu polish[slick] uniqueness and function

This is a post for new persons to Kubuntu , the "old groaners" can skip it.

It is about "appearence, integration, slickness and capability"

It includes interacting with a voice recorder.

I had not been on the computer for a few days, having opted for the much debated thing about leaving it on all the time and turning it off.

I had to transfer files from my Olymnpus voice recorder to the computer and thence to a cd.

Splash screen is a guy riding a humongous curl.........

Then the screen showing the loaded activities which I left stock since it is "over all blue and red" and fits with the rest of my theming.

My desktop appears with the "latest Ubuntu Wallpaper" of three girls laying nude on a beach with the surf rolling in around them.......YOU CANNOT SEE ANYTHING OK....

I click the Amarok activity button in the lower right panel and see...The girl in the very short skirt writing on the blackboard in chalk: "Ubuntu Makes Me Smarter" and click ONCE the play button in Amarok and it REstarts my SOMA fm stream: Secret Agent.

I then click the "internet activity" button in the lower right panel and I am presented with the latest greatest wallpaper......of the girl with a tux on her left hip "Linux choice of a GNU generation"....and since I used the quick launcher thing to link to" a) Kubuntu forums b) "the net" c) the college Blackaboard d) the college grading app.

I was at the forums and reading and posting.

Takeaway........

a) the POLISH( as in "slickness" and "ease of use" and "visual integration" of Kubuntu.......... I have done no less than THREE installs starting with "Debian" and evenutally pileing KDE on top of it.......and in ALL CASES........ "the appearance is...............brittle............harsh......... . not..........seamless.............. not "soft"......."........now YES I have been told AT THIS FORUM that Kubuntu is "just Debian with KDE"............okaaayyyyyyyyy I beg to differ........

The "developers" have something unique here....I don't care what the old groaners say.

b) Slickness in terms of "backgrounds / wallpapers"..............Since I am a SINGLE OLD GUY..........I thought I'd try some "girly" wallys............nobody else is going to see them..........

SIDE NOTE:....A LOT of people told me that "being a SCUBA diver" would fascinate women of the opposite sex ( a Frank Burns reference there)........ and what I have found out is............when she gets to "my age".........she wants a guy sitting on a couch watching a football game with his hand in his belt drinking a beer............. a SCUBA diver who dives with disables children, adults and veterans .......is ........too high maintanence!! lol

But the point is.......... KDE/Ubuntu/............... really does "meet all modes"...

c) in terms of "doing the job"............Kubuntu had "held" ALL things from my previous startup.............

Kubuntu realy is ........an effortless install once things are set up.

OH YES............when I post this it will kick me out and ask for a password.............and the post will automagically appear..........it may be that that is a function of Firefox........or the app that the forum usees.......or Kubuntu........or a complex situation of all three......don't know............

but..........for the new person............the old woodsmoker thinks that Kubuntu......might fit the bill.

LOL............ after about a HALF HOUR......the forum software really does kick me out!

To finish..........I have an old Olympus voice recorder............I hooked into the computer using a USB and opened Dolphin when the dialogue opened, chose "file manager", split it in split dragged the voice recordings into the computer as "move"..

NOTE some recorders, I have several, will not allow one to "move" one has to "copy" and then............FORMAT........the device............

If anyone has questions please ask..........

But the take away is..............

i) A lot of disparate people have laboured to make Kubuntu........Ubuntu..........kewl visually..........

ii) A lot of disparate people have laboured to make Kubnutu...........EASY TO USE

just my thoughts, of little worth

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
      My desktop appears with the "latest Ubuntu Wallpaper" of three girls laying nude on a beach with the surf rolling in around them.......YOU CANNOT SEE ANYTHING OK....
      What? NUDE GIRLS on a beach?
      Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
      Since I am a SINGLE OLD GUY.....
      Ah, that explains why you are not sleeping with Fido!
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

lol ya know GG.....just....lol

woodsmoke

Comment

Ya know..............YOU............should consider:
          a) contributing some CASHOLA
          b) some programming time.........

to the development of xmms2 and or xmms..........

one of the FUNDAMENTAL UNDERLYING pieces of code of that to which you lend your ear!!!

woodjustsayin'smoke

Comment

Working...
          X