X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installation problems using Konsole.

Hi,
    I am new to Linux, but slowly through a lot of hard work, I am starting to get to know it a bit! But all of a sudden, i am seriously stuck again!!
    I am having problems installing anything using the Konsole.
    I have tried both superkaramba and ksmoothdock, but both times, after I have downloaded the source file, unzipped it to the desktop, I then cd to the directory and run ./configure
    Everything goes fine till it all stops abruptly at the following line

checking for X... configure: error: Can't find X includes. Please check your installation and add the correct paths!

What the hell does that mean? Once it gets to this line, it stops. I can not use the make command as it had not finished compiling. I have tried to sudo aptitude install X includes, but it tell me there is no such thing as X includes!! What do I need to do so I can finally install any program using the Konsole!
    Obviously something is missing off my system, but what and how to get it I don't know!!
    Please help!!! Thank you.

Re: Installation problems using Konsole.

Superkaramba is in the repositories, just make sure you've enabled all the universe multiverse repo's.

I'm not sure exactly what the error is for your souce install, but a few things: do you have the "build-essential" package installed? Also, if program x depends on program y, it's a good idea to look up program y and install all the packages that end w/ dev.

Comment

Yup - it would be easier if compiler could tell what is missing.

Quess: Something with x and lib (searching xlib)- hmm - have you xlibs-dev ?

X Window System client library development files transitional package
      This package smooths upgrades from Debian 3.0 by depending on libice-dev,
      libsm-dev, libx11-dev, libxext-dev, libxi-dev, libxmu-dev, libxmuu-dev,
      libxpm-dev, libxrandr-dev, libxt-dev, libxtrap-dev, libxtst-dev, libxv-dev,
      x-dev, and xlibs-static-dev. This transitional package is only depended upon
      by packages that haven't yet corrected their dependencies to reflect the new
      library arrangement.
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Hi,
        Thanks for your replies so far. The only information it gives me is what I have mentioned. When it is configuring the installation in Konsole, it does not matter if it is superkaramba or ksmoothdock I am trying to install, it scrolls through loads of different things till it gets to checking for X, then it ends suddenly with the following line:

checking for X... configure: error: Can't find X includes. Please check your installation and add the correct paths!

Once it gets here, the installation won't go any further! I can not use the make command or anything!
        There must be something missing from my system, because if I try to install anything from source using the konsole method, this happens every single time!
        Thanks for all your help so far!!

Comment

Hi,

I installed via Adept what Rog131 suggested and when I run ./configure in Konsole now, it actually goes past checking for X!!! How did you know what I need to install Rog?? Just curious, I am interested to know how you guessed?
          The only problem now, is that it now stops on something else. This is what it says :

checking for Qt... configure: error: Qt (>= Qt 3.2 and < 4.0) (headers and libraries) not found. Please check your installation!

What else do I have to install now??
          Why don't Kubuntu or KDE just put these things in place straight away so people can just install things using Konsole without this hassle! At least I am learning about Linux and the command line this way!! lol

Comment

Read my post again about including packages w/ dev. Some other packages you may want to install:

"kde-devel" this may have the headers that your program needs. If not, search "qt" and install any development files associated w/ qt.

I also suggest you install "checkinstall" . Instead of:
            ./configure
            make
            make install

you run
            ./configure
            make
            checkinstall

this creates a .deb package prior to installation. That way, you can use apt or Adept/Synaptic/Aptitude to keep track of it and remove it if necessary.

Comment

Working...
            X