X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install image / kernel issue?

Hi Guys,

So I attempted to do a clean install, using a usb, with kubuntu-14.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso, on my ThinkPad T430.

It's current specs are:
    Intel 64bit i7-350M
    Graphics card = Nvidia NVS 5400M ?
    8Gb Ram
    320GB HDD(7200RPM)
    Optical drive DVD-R/RW
    WebCAm
    Biometric scanner
    USB 2= 3.0, 1 =1

After failing at my first attempt with the image mentioned above, I tried to re-install using kubuntu-14.04.1-desktop-i386.ios.
    What I get now when I try to boot from the usb once again, is the GNU Grub splash, asking (*Ubuntu or, Advanced options for Ubuntu).
    Selecting either option will crash the entire boot process.

As I look into it further, I discovered this message "kernel image not found" ...."

I've tried to reboot several times from the usb stick. I know my usb functions fine because i tried it on another laptop.

I think I should also mention, My first attempt wasn't a complete failure. I did manage--once, to boot-up under "recovery mode" (OEM)..

I do appreciate your time and effort helping me fix this..

Thanks much

Update:

Got it going.. I assigned my laptops's usb port as the main boot drive.. "stupid me"

Comment

Hey Guys, I'm back.

So booting from my usb with image, kubuntu-14.04.1-desktop-i386.ios.
      produces this = extraction of files, then I'm presented with the (initramfs) prompt.

It seems that my initiators are not loading..

can someone point me to a solution?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by DCarela View Post
        Hey Guys, I'm back.

So booting from my usb with image, kubuntu-14.04.1-desktop-i386.ios.
        produces this = extraction of files, then I'm presented with the (initramfs) prompt.

It seems that my initiators are not loading..

can someone point me to a solution?

Thanks
        Why are you booting from a USB stick if you were successful in installing it on your 350GB HD?
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

The initial install came from the usb stick..

Yet, after restarting it doesn't make it pass the splash screen. In order to get some result I had to F12 into recovery mode.. Now... it basically starts and pauses at (intiramfs)
          350GB HD does the size surprise you?

Comment

Update:

So I think, I discovered, that the kernel config that's included in the most recent images either from Kubuntu or ubuntu (kubuntu-14.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso, kubuntu-14.04.1-desktop-i386.iso) which are probably identical.
            (I get the same result when I tried previous images ubuntu 12.XX.X)
            ---I'm going to assume that kubuntu is ubuntu with a KDE package. I could be wrong.
            has a bug which doesn't include a specific package for the NVIDA card, as per my research.

When I boot from amd64.iso using a usb again, I get nothing but a frozen screen(black) this is strange as I am running a 64bit processor.
            When I boot from i386.iso I get the boot process until, the (intiramfs) prompts me with an error ACPI message. The error message #4 relates to a missing package for my graphic card. As per my research..

This issue intrigues me. continuing my endeavor.

I've had individuals mention: take a deep breath and use a CD. This also, to me, doesn't make sense at so many levels.

If anyone has a suggestion I would love to hear about it.
            I'll keep this thread up to date with progress. As my search within this forum draws empty.

Comment

Originally posted by DCarela View Post
              I get nothing but a frozen screen(black) this is strange as I am running a 64bit processor.
              I have a Nvidia card that boots to a blank/black screen that seems frozen. In fact it is working fine but is not displaying anything. To fix this I have to append "nomodeset" to the kernel linux line.

But in order for this to work you will probably have to fix you acpi errors first, use acpi=off on the linux kernel line (last resort until you get running). You can also check your bios settings and see if there are any acpi options to tune in there.

I would put both of these before the "ro" in the kernel line.

Comment

Originally posted by anika200 View Post

To fix this I have to append "nomodeset" to the kernel linux line.
                What was your approach in accessing the kernels text file? Did you do this through (initramfs)?

Originally posted by anika200 View Post
                I would put both of these before the "ro" in the kernel line.
                What's "ro"

Thanks

Comment

at the grub screen if you press "e" you can edit the boot line (the one that starts with "linux" ) and add the "nomodset" and "acpi=off" to the line right befor the "ro" (meens read only) then press "ctrl+x" to boot it ......this is a 1 time edit and will be back to default the next boot.

VINNY
                  i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                  16GB RAM
                  Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

What's "ro"
                    It protects the file system by setting it to "read only" during the boot process.

Comment

Ahh I see..

Thanks for that input Vinny, and A

I'll keep you posted with th results..

Thanks again.

Comment

Update:

Guys so here's my work around.
                        While your suggestion was well taken.. Sorry to say it didn't work in my case..

So I had to put on my thinking cap.. I downloaded a legacy image from ubuntu..(ubuntu 12.04.5)
                        I can now boot up using the live usb and make the necessary adjustments.

I'm not out of the woods yet. As I will need to upgrade my OS to the latest version..

keep you posted..

Thanks

Comment

Hey guys,

Wanted to post the last update for this thread..

I finally was able to update to the latest version 14.04.1. Here is what I did.

(1) I searched for my Thinkpad model in my case it was T430 using this link: http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/...ategory=Laptop

(2) Installed the recommended package.

(3) Performed any required updates once installation was complete.

(4) Installed the KDE desktop package via terminal

Now everything is up and running..

My next endeavor. Create scripts to automate some functions and rekindle my knowledge on Linux..

Thanks again for your response guys..

see you around

Comment

I could be way off here, what with the vast and respectable collective Kubuntu experience of other contributors to this thread. But, the issue I am reading about here sounds vaguely reminiscent of a problem I encountered when I first tried to install my distro of choice on my computer that was new in the spring of 2012. The problem I was having then is that in the Setup menu (a.k.a. BIOS) UEFI was set as the default method of utility, rather than "Legacy" (BIOS?). So, I disabled UEFI and enabled "Legacy", which, in effect, I think was enabling the BIOS method of utility (which, incidentally is now being phased out, so I've heard). If your problem is yet to be solved, I'd open the Setup menu and give that a gander to see if UEFI is getting in the way of the installation of Kubuntu. Couldn't hurt.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                            X