X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 kubuntu 14.04 problems

Linux - Ubuntu 14.04 trusty, (64-bit), 3.13.0-24-generic,
    4 x AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 645 Processor, Memory 8.0 GiB
    Audio: Card-1: NVIDIA GF116 High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA ver: k3.12.0-7-generic Logitech driver: USB Audio

Have just completed a new reinstall of kubuntu 14.04 from install CD
    This completed successfully. After running,plus the massive Muon download, it was running smoothly,

HOW DO I CORRECT THSE PROBLEMS?
    PROBLEM 1:
    Code:
    IBus::open: Can not get ibus-daemon's address. 
    IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon 
    Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
    QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
    QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
    QObject::connect: Cannot connect (null)::resourceScoreUpdated(QString, QString, QString, double) to NepomukPlugin::resourceScoreUpdated(QString, QString, QString, double)
    QObject::connect: Cannot connect (null)::recentStatsDeleted(QString, int, QString) to NepomukPlugin::deleteRecentStats(QString, int, QString)
    QObject::connect: Cannot connect (null)::earlierStatsDeleted(QString, int) to NepomukPlugin::deleteEarlierStats(QString, int)
    kactivitymanagerd(3595)/nepomuk (library): Could not find virtuoso to connect to. Aborting 
    QPixmap::scaled: Pixmap is a null pixmap
    Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceAdded(QDBusObjectPath)
    Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceRemoved(QDBusObjectPath)
    QSqlQuery::prepare: database not open
    QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
    QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /root/.kde/share/config/activitymanager-pluginsrc
    PROBLEM 2:
    Kbackup errors:
    Code:
    Directory '/home/bumpy/.dbus' is not readable. Skipping.
    PROBLEM 3:
    Konsole problem:
    Code:
    bumpy@bumpyputer:~$ sudo apt-get autoremove filename1 filename2 filename3 etc
    Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
    Abort.
    PROBLEM 4:
    While installing wine (sudo apt-get install wine), at the end appeared a full page with blue edges:
    Code:
    Package configuration                                                                        
     Configuring ttf-mscorefonts-installer  
     TrueType core fonts for the Web EULA                                                      
     END-USER LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR MICROSOFT SOFTWARE                                         
    - last line:
    • Software Transfer. You may permanently transfer all of your                            
        rights under this EULA, provided the recipient agrees to the     
    				 <Ok> 
      Note:  last line/lines missing                      
                                                   <Ok>  < Inactive:  I am Unable to accept this
    Closed Konsole

Thinking that wine did not install, I re-ran sudo apt-get install wine
    Code:
    bumpy@bumpyputer:~$ sudo apt-get install wine
    E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
    bumpy@bumpyputer:~$
    ... looking forward to your help!
    Last edited by SteveRiley; Sep 29, 2014, 10:00 PM.

#1: No way to tell whats causing those messages. You give no info about when/where they appear. Mostly they look like harmless notifications.

#2: You have an unreadable (corrupted, zero byte, or open and locked) or file/directory you do not have permissions for. Have you launched any GUI programs using sudo instead of kdesudo? .dbus folder is session specific only and should be excluded from backups anyway.

#3: As far as I know, autoremove does not accept filename input. From the manpage:
    autoremove
    autoremove is used to remove packages that were automatically installed to satisfy dependencies for other packages and
    are now no longer needed.

#4: The lock files were left behind as a result of the abnormal termination of apt-get/dpkg. Delete /var/lib/dpkg/lock and run sudo apt-get -f install to continue the installation.

Please Read Me

Comment

#4 movement between prompts on a console app is usually done using the Tab key.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

OK - Thanks guys - I learned some new stuff, thanks to you!

Code:
        bumpy@bumpyputer:~$ sudo apt-get install wine
        E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
        E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
        This is what I ran:
        Code:
        bumpy@bumpyputer:/$ sudo rm -R /var/lib/dpkg
        bumpy@bumpyputer:/$ cd /var/lib/dpkg
        bash: cd: /var/lib/dpkg: No such file or directory
        bumpy@bumpyputer:/var/lib$ sudo apt-get -f install
        E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (2: No such file or directory)
        E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
        bumpy@bumpyputer:/var/lib$
        I need to solve this in order to install wine.
        Last edited by SteveRiley; Sep 29, 2014, 10:01 PM. Reason: add more ifo to content

Comment

Originally posted by Bumpalot View Post
          OK - Thanks guys - I learned some new stuff, thanks to you!

RE: bumpy@bumpyputer:~$ sudo apt-get install wine

This is what I ran:
          bumpy@bumpyputer:/$ sudo rm -R /var/lib/dpkg
          bumpy@bumpyputer:/$ cd /var/lib/dpkg
          bash: cd: /var/lib/dpkg: No such file or directory
          bumpy@bumpyputer:/var/lib$ sudo apt-get -f install
          E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (2: No such file or directory)
          E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
          bumpy@bumpyputer:/var/lib$

I need to solve this in order to install wine.
          You didn't read the instructions correctly that ochunlver gave you. He did not tell you to delete the /var/lib/dpgk directory, he told you to delete the lock file, which is /var/lib/dpkg/lock

Now that you've deleted the directory /var/lib/dpkg you have a serious problem. Check this website out: http://people.adams.edu/~cdmiller/po...dpkg-recovery/
          Keep in mind that you'll have to use the version numbers of the packages you have, not necessarily the ones listed in the article. Mine currently shows that dpkg is 1.17.5ubuntu5.3(trusty updates)

You may have to begin by recreating the /var/lib/dpkg directory.
          kdesudo dolphin
          and use it to do that, so that you don't get too handy with the command line. But, if you must, there here is a more recent explanation:
          http://askubuntu.com/questions/38333...dpkg-directory

However, considering the complexity of the repair, you might want to opt for a clean reinstall from a checksummed ISO file that has been burned to a DVD using validate.
          Last edited by GreyGeek; Sep 29, 2014, 05:40 PM.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Yeah, that recovery process certainly will work, but it's has its own fair share of sharp edges -- mess up one step, and recovery becomes nearly impossible. I concur with Jerry -- rebuild if you can.

Comment

What a blunder I made!! But followed your instructions and rebooted OK!
              -Booted my kubuntu 14.04 CD in live mode
              -Mounted kubuntu 14.04 installation
              -copied the livecd /var/lib/dpkg & it's contents over to my installation using kdesudo dolphin.
              -Checked my dpkg & contents had root:root group & owner permissions
              -Rebooted
              SUCCESS!

Now I have another problem:
              Code:
              [sudo] password for bumpy: 
              Reading package lists... Done
              Building dependency tree       
              Reading state information... Done
              Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
              requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
              distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
              or been moved out of Incoming.
              The following information may help resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
               wine : Depends: wine1.6 but it is not going to be installed
              E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
              bumpy@bumpyputer:~$ sudo apt-get remove wine
              Building dependency tree       
              Package 'wine' is not installed, so not removed
              0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 495 not upgraded.
              bumpy@bumpyputer:~$ sudo apt-get install wine1.6
              Building dependency tree       
              Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
              requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
              distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
              or been moved out of Incoming.
              The following information may help resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
               wine1.6 : Depends: wine1.6-i386 (= 1:1.6.2-0ubuntu4) but it is not installable
                         Recommends: ttf-mscorefonts-installer but it is not going to be installed
                         Recommends: fonts-horai-umefont but it is not going to be installed
                         Recommends: fonts-unfonts-core but it is not going to be installed
                         Recommends: ttf-wqy-microhei
                         Recommends: winbind but it is not going to be installed
                         Recommends: winetricks but it is not going to be installed
              E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
              After I posted the above info I received a massive Muon Update (456.9MiB)
              On completing, this Error Message popped up:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	MuonErrorMsgSept30.png
Views:	1
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	642485
              Details:
              linux-signed-image-3.13.0-24-generic
              subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 127
              linux-signed-image-3.13.0-36-generic
              subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 127
              linux-signed-image-generic
              dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
              linux-signed-generic
              dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

Look forward to your help once again.
              Last edited by Bumpalot; Sep 30, 2014, 07:57 AM. Reason: to add more info

Comment

Working...
              X