X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is my camera mounted?

Hi,

I was a Windows user up until a few months ago, and now run Kubuntu 12.04 on my laptop and Kubuntu 14.04 on my desktop pc. In Windows my camera showed up as a removable device in Explorer, so was easy to find.

When I plug the camera into either computer running Kubuntu, everything seems to work fine. A pop-up appears with two options: download the pictures with Gwenview or open with Dolphin - and I can do both, and have no problems saving photos on the computer.

The camera shows up in 'camera' in 'System Settings,' and an icon in the taskbar appears and disappears when I switch the camera on and off while it's connected. I assume that switching the camera off unmounts it, and means I can safely unplug it?

Although I can open the camera in Dolphin by clicking on the pop-up, I have been unable to navigate to it through either Dolphin or the Konsole, and have no idea where it's located. In Dolphin it shows up as a directory called ''Canon Digital IXUS 70 (PTP mode),'' and if I right-click on the directory and select Properties, under the General tab it says ''Location: /(camera)''

No doubt the brackets round ''camera'' have some significance, although I have no idea what that might be.

I have also searched for the directory with the command:

Code:
    sudo find / -type d -name "Canon*"
    ..but the search returned no results.

Is there a way that I can navigate to the camera through Dolphin and/or Konsole, and/or is there a reason why it can't be done?

Any advice much appreciated.

Depends on how it's being mounted I guess. Usually it's under /media/<yourusername> if it's detected as removable media. There might be a udev rule controlling it and mounting it some other way. Try running dmesg before you plug it in and then again right after plugging it in. That might give a hint.

Please Read Me

Comment

All devices have a file in the /dev subdirectory.
      For a web camera that is detected at boot it is assigned the file name of /dev/video0.
      If you open that location with vlc it will display what the camera sees (but not any audio unless you select the audio file).
      Also, under /dev is the subdirectory /dev/v4l It gives the "by-id" and "by-path" designation for the video0 device. "By-id" may have a usb designation and "by-path" a pci designation.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. The only directories in /media/al are other HDD partitions that I have mounted.

I couldn't see anything notable in the output of dmesg before plugging the camera in, but found this when I ran it again after:

Code:
        [25129.252064] usb 1-6: new high-speed USB device number 4 using ehci-pci
        [25129.395513] usb 1-6: New USB device found, idVendor=04a9, idProduct=314f
        [25129.395520] usb 1-6: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
        [25129.395523] usb 1-6: Product: Canon Digital Camera
        [25129.395526] usb 1-6: Manufacturer: Canon Inc.
        [25129.395528] usb 1-6: SerialNumber: 741E191CA56046C88626FE3C43ABCB32
        These are all the directories and files in /dev

Code:
        autofs           log                 ptmx    sda2      tty15  tty37  tty59      ttyS21   vcs2
        block            loop0               pts     sda3      tty16  tty38  tty6       ttyS22   vcs3
        bsg              loop1               ram0    sda5      tty17  tty39  tty60      ttyS23   vcs4
        btrfs-control    loop2               ram1    sda6      tty18  tty4   tty61      ttyS24   vcs5
        bus              loop3               ram10   sda7      tty19  tty40  tty62      ttyS25   vcs6
        cdrom            loop4               ram11   sdb       tty2   tty41  tty63      ttyS26   vcs7
        char             loop5               ram12   sg0       tty20  tty42  tty7       ttyS27   vcsa
        console          loop6               ram13   sg1       tty21  tty43  tty8       ttyS28   vcsa1
        core             loop7               ram14   sg2       tty22  tty44  tty9       ttyS29   vcsa2
        cpu_dma_latency  loop-control        ram15   shm       tty23  tty45  ttyprintk  ttyS3    vcsa3
        cuse             lp0                 ram2    snapshot  tty24  tty46  ttyS0      ttyS30   vcsa4
        disk             mapper              ram3    snd       tty25  tty47  ttyS1      ttyS31   vcsa5
        dri              mcelog              ram4    sr0       tty26  tty48  ttyS10     ttyS4    vcsa6
        ecryptfs         mem                 ram5    stderr    tty27  tty49  ttyS11     ttyS5    vcsa7
        fd               net                 ram6    stdin     tty28  tty5   ttyS12     ttyS6    vga_arbiter
        full             network_latency     ram7    stdout    tty29  tty50  ttyS13     ttyS7    vhci
        fuse             network_throughput  ram8    tty       tty3   tty51  ttyS14     ttyS8    vhost-net
        fw0              null                ram9    tty0      tty30  tty52  ttyS15     ttyS9    watchdog
        hidraw0          nvidia0             random  tty1      tty31  tty53  ttyS16     uhid     zero
        hidraw1          nvidiactl           rfkill  tty10     tty32  tty54  ttyS17     uinput
        hpet             parport0            rtc     tty11     tty33  tty55  ttyS18     urandom
        input            port                rtc0    tty12     tty34  tty56  ttyS19     usb
        kmsg             ppp                 sda     tty13     tty35  tty57  ttyS2      vcs
        kvm              psaux               sda1    tty14     tty36  tty58  ttyS20     vcs1
        I plugged the camera in, and no additional files were created. Do you know which file might pertain to the camera?

I also tried searching the computer for v4l in case I was looking in the wrong place, but this is all I found:

Code:
        al@al-System-Product-Name:/$ sudo find / -type d -name v4l
        /usr/src/linux-headers-3.13.0-36-generic/include/config/v4l
        /usr/src/linux-headers-3.13.0-35-generic/include/config/v4l
        /usr/src/linux-headers-3.13.0-34-generic/include/config/v4l

Comment

Perhaps you've turned off your "Places" panel? It has a section called "Devices" where my phone appears if it's plugged in. If you've got the menu bar, click View->Panels, or if you've got the tool bar, click the settings icon.

If you have got the Places panel, with its devices section, and your camera is not there, maybe it's been hidden; right-click on the devices section and check "show all entries".
          Regards, John Little

Comment

It shows up as a device in what I assume is the ''Places'' panel, at the lower right corner of the screen; and it also shows up in System Settings.

Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot9_zpsbaca9cc0.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	642487

But I still have no clue whereabouts it is in the file system.

Comment

Originally posted by Al1000 View Post
              It shows up as a device in what I assume is the ''Places'' panel, at the lower right corner of the screen; and it also shows up in System Settings.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5340[/ATTACH]

But I still have no clue whereabouts it is in the file system.
              what you are assuming is the "places" panel ,,,,,is the device notifier ,,,,telling you you have a camera available ,,,,and I see from your screenshot it is not mounted yet ...........so it is not in the file system yet .

if you click the camera in the device notifier it will give you options on opening it .......... once you open it in something it will be mounted and in the file system ///// prob under /media

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                what you are assuming is the "places" panel ,,,,,is the device notifier ,,,,telling you you have a camera available ,,,,and I see from your screenshot it is not mounted yet ...........so it is not in the file system yet .
                Thanks for the info. I had previously thought that it would be mounted when the pop-up appears.

Where would I find the Places panel?

if you click the camera in the device notifier it will give you options on opening it .......... once you open it in something it will be mounted and in the file system ///// prob under /media

VINNY
                I opened it in Dolphin, but still can't find it in the file system.

Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot10.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	642488

Comment

As stated before, EVERYTHING in Linux is a file. Devices are represented by files in /dev. Any other representations (in Dolphin or whereever) link back to some file under /dev. See my previous post in this thread.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                    As stated before, EVERYTHING in Linux is a file. Devices are represented by files in /dev. Any other representations (in Dolphin or whereever) link back to some file under /dev. See my previous post in this thread.
                    Thank you. I found the "by-id" and "by-path" sub-directories in /dev/disk, so I take it that one of the files in there would refer to the camera.

What I want to find out how to do, is how to navigate to the directory that shows up in Dolphin as "Canon Digital IXUS 70 (PTP mode)" when I click on the pop-up that appears when I plug the camera in.

IOW, while I can open the camera in Dolphin by clicking on the icon, I am unable to navigate to the camera using Dolphin (or Konsole) after it's mounted.

Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Comment

to be able to navigate to it you need to know where it is mounted ..........I will use a usb stick ,

after you open it in dolphin it gets mounted by the system (somewhere) you can use
                      Code:
                      df -h
                      to see what is mounted and how much space is used ....................................

so we see that "Cruzer" is mounted at /media/vinny/Cruzer (and if you had dolphins konsole open you would see this already).......................................... ............

and navigating to it gives............................................. ........

this is the same as it will be for your camera

VINNY
                      Last edited by vinnywright; Oct 02, 2014, 04:18 PM.
                      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                      16GB RAM
                      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

to be able to navigate to it you need to know where it is mounted
                        Indeed!

this is the same as it will be for your camera
                        Here is a screenshot of /media/al with all HDD partitions, a usb stick, and the camera mounted; and of the output of
                        Code:
                        df -h
                        Everything except the camera is there.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Ah ... see that phrase "PTP mode". I don't think that gets a file system mount. It only allows copying from the camera in my experience. MTP was an extension of PTP, and that's what Vinny gets, and it gives a mount in /media/<username>/.

MTP and PTP support is flaky. My Samsung GS3 sometimes works, using MTP, if I access it within a second or so of plugging it in.

Does your camera use an SD card? I have a Canon that does. I bought a cheap (~$10) USB card reader to copy pictures from the SD card.
                          Regards, John Little

Comment

Ah ... see that phrase "PTP mode". I don't think that gets a file system mount.
                            That would explain why I can't navigate to it through the file system! Thanks for that info; I will now mark the thread as solved. I have never heard of MTP or PTP, so will read up on them.

Does your camera use an SD card?
                            Yes it does. I was considering buying a card reader when I lost the cable that connects the camera to the computer, but fortunately I found it again and it works fine.

Comment

Some relevant info:

By design, MTP devices (like PTP devices) are not treated as a traditional removable drive. The actual file system is implemented by the device, and not by the computer's operating system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol

Comment

Working...
                              X