Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble installing/booting Kubuntu 14.04 via Live USB on Dell Dimension 4600

Turned of Quiet Splash in the boot options, and it is hanging every time on

"Stopping System V initialisation compatibility [OK]"

Have tried different combinations of "noapic" "nolapic" "nomraid" "nomodeset" and hangs in the same place.

What can I do?

is this the liveUSB stopping hear or have you installed and this is the install stopping hear?

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

The live USB is. I am booting from USB so as to install, and it freezes on the splash screen. Shut off quiet splash and it is at that point every time. Tried 2 different flash sticks.

Comment

do you have a diferent box to try the USB stick on ?

did you check the .iso ?

how did you make the live USB?

what I am getting at is ,,,it may be a bad download ,,,,,,,,or the liveUSB may not be right .

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I downloaded the iso from Kubuntu website and used the Startup Disk program in a machine running Ubuntu 12.04. I used it to install Kubuntu on another laptop without problem.

Comment

I had similar problems trying to install Kubuntu 14.04 on my old laptop, and it turned out that the graphics just aren't up to the job. It wouldn't boot up with Ubuntu 12.04 either, but Kubuntu 12.04, now updated to 12.04.4, works just fine.

Comment

Working...
            X