This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Locating A File - After Name Removal

I was changing a file name in Dolphin, but I accidentally hit the enter key when the name was highlighted. The name was removed, and now I can't find the file.

Can someone tell me how to locate the file?

Thanks
    kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

You must have done something else - hit some other key. At least here: Hitting enter with the file name highlighted simply opens the file. If you are editing the name and hit enter, it saves it as it is.

Here's my best guess: You started to edit the file name, you removed, via backspace or some other means, the current filename (the part left of the dot) but not the extension (the dot and the 3 letters to the right of the dot) and THEN hit enter. This would result in the file being renamed to it's extension only and as a hidden file! Example: somefile.jpg would become .jpg and thus would become hidden because if you have a leading dot in a filename, Linux hides the file.

Lucky for you the solution is simple: Open Dolphin, navigate to the directory you we're working in, type "ALT ." (that's holding the ALT key, type the period). This will display hidden files. I suspect your file will then be visible. Simply rename it and save.

Please Read Me

Comment

You could also search by file type (.jpeg, .doc etc) and date of last change, which should be the date the name was changed.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        You must have done something else - hit some other key. At least here: Hitting enter with the file name highlighted simply opens the file. If you are editing the name and hit enter, it saves it as it is.

Here's my best guess: You started to edit the file name, you removed, via backspace or some other means, the current filename (the part left of the dot) but not the extension (the dot and the 3 letters to the right of the dot) and THEN hit enter. This would result in the file being renamed to it's extension only and as a hidden file! Example: somefile.jpg would become .jpg and thus would become hidden because if you have a leading dot in a filename, Linux hides the file.

Lucky for you the solution is simple: Open Dolphin, navigate to the directory you we're working in, type "ALT ." (that's holding the ALT key, type the period). This will display hidden files. I suspect your file will then be visible. Simply rename it and save.
        Spot on
        kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

Comment

Working...
        X