X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK/Irish keyboard layout

hi,

following the current trend i got myself an old laptop to bring back to life with linux

i got a couple of nice Dell XPS M1730 core 2 duo 2.2GHz laptops with a cool 1920x1200 screen,
    downside is its really heavy, and the power brick is huge.. anyway, runs kubuntu 14.4 very nicely, everything works - the media buttons and the G15 LCD mini screen!!
    just need to source a SSD for it now that it passed all testing.

sorry to ramble on, the only weird thing is the keyboard layout, took me a while to guess where | is which is essential,
    i looked up on the Dell website with unit service tag and it is UK/Irish keyboard layout,
    when i looked in options it's configured as Generic 101 key keyboard thus does not match whats actually on the keyboard,

does anyone use UK/Irish layout?
    any words of wisdom?
    K 14.4 64 AMD 955be3200MHz 8GB 1866Mhz 6TB Plex/samba.etc.+ Macbook Air 13".

My company seems convinced the UK keyboard is the way to go so that's what we get.

But I need the alternate characters the US International keyboard offers so I 'just' set it to such and got accustomed to the slight differences between the marks on the keys and the actual character resulting.

You can select the desired keyboard in System Settings, Input Devices, Keyboard and several Dells are available.

Now if you don't want to go whole-hog by selecting the UK keyboard Linux does offer ways to change individual key assignments, it's called 'Keyboard Mapping'.

Comment

You can also add/choose the UK keyboard layout if you want your layout to match what's on your keyboard:
      SystemSettings>InputDevices>Keyboard>Layouts

Comment

thanks for replies, thats the weird thing, there is no UK keyboard in settings, the Dell ones are different to mine.
        yea, its fairly easy to live with, but you know, its linux, everything should work perfectly given time and research i think its something to do with local settings

by the way Teunis, my vaio is in a repair shop, busted hinges, dont even know how, bit of travelling, took good care of it, how did it happen? lol, watched movies on the plane, so im sorry for doubting you

i was actually installing kubuntu on another machine today and noticed there are a lot more options during installation for keyboard layouts and when selected English UK it sort of looked like the laptop one, ill know for sure when i put a SSD into it in the next few days, migrate /home and re-install.

ive tried adding another layout in system settings, the choices are minimal there
        K 14.4 64 AMD 955be3200MHz 8GB 1866Mhz 6TB Plex/samba.etc.+ Macbook Air 13".

Comment

Are you sure you're searching in the right place (the "Layouts" tab).

Choose add, set language to english to narrow down the available layouts and then choose "English(UK)" as the layout

Comment

Working...
          X