KWallet

Can I view the contents of the Kwallet
    kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
    Can I view the contents of the Kwallet
    Yes, with "kwalletmanager"

Comment

I thought that I should be able to view using the manager, but I have something in mailtransports(1) that does not give any information in the panel

Comment

Take a screenshot so that we can see.

Comment

Spapshot of wallet:
          Attached Files

Comment

If you expand the 'passwords' tab, you will be able to view it/them - though it may not be obvious which password goes with which mail account.
            The other sections (unknown, binary data, etc) will not show anything if there isn't any available or needed for that entry.

Comment

What does the 1 signify in mailtransports(1)

Comment

I'll guess that you have 1 mail transport (mail sending)?

Mine shows 3, which does match to the number of outgoing mail servers I use.

Comment

Like claydoh explained, it means that you have 1 mailtransport password stored, commonly an smtp (mail sending server) password,
                  you'll be able to see the entry if you expand the "Passwords" entry in the list on the left (click the arrow ">" next to the "Passwords" text below the "Mailtransports(1)" item)
                  Last edited by kubicle; Sep 03, 2014, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Yes, I see it

So the mailtransports relates to the outgoing mail. In my case this would be Yahoo Mail.

When I boot up the pc, sooner or later tha KWallet Daemon asks for a password. I give it and it disappears. I might login and logout to a number of sites during the session, but none of the passwords appear in the wallet, or as far as I can see.

Can you explain this?

Thanks

Comment

I might login and logout to a number of sites during the session, but none of the passwords appear in the wallet, or as far as I can see.
                      Can you explain this?
                      Which browser do you use?

Firefox, for example, doesn't use kwallet by default as it's not kde software (it stores site passwords internally). IIRC, there is an addon for kwallet integration for firefox, but I haven't used it so I don't know how well it works.

Comment

I use Firefox

So whenever I use FF I should not expect passwords to be stored in the Wallet.

I use Yahoo Mail from within FF, so it looks like that mailtransport password must have been placed when I experimented with kmail - and then decided not to use it.

Best wishes.

A

Comment

so it looks like that mailtransport password must have been placed when I experimented with kmail
                          This is more than likely

Comment

I have noticed that my internet connection password is stored in the wallet. If I disabled the wallet, I assume that I would have to type my password on each occasion. Am, I correct?

My understanding of kwallet is that when applicable, that is, when not using Firefox, Wallet checks to see if there is a password for a site, and if present (the password) will connect; otherwise, a password is asked for and will be stored by wallet for future reference. Am I correct?

Best wishes.

Comment

I have noticed that my internet connection password is stored in the wallet. If I disabled the wallet, I assume that I would have to type my password on each occasion. Am, I correct?

My understanding of kwallet is that when applicable, that is, when not using Firefox, Wallet checks to see if there is a password for a site, and if present (the password) will connect; otherwise, a password is asked for and will be stored by wallet for future reference. Am I correct?
                              Depends on the application/software, if an app uses kwallet (like most kde software) it'll store passwords you enter in your wallet(s), and when the app needs a password, it'll ask kwallet if it has the one needed stored (and kwallet then gives that password to the application so you don't have to provide it every time). Some, but not all, (kde) software can use their own config files to store passwords it kwallet is disabled, but kwallet is generally more secure as it uses a relatively strong encryption to protect them (most software don't store passwords in clear text in the config files, but some use fairly weak hashing).

Comment

Working...
                              X