Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What packages are necessary for a computer to have sound?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One other wide shot:

We have an HP-mini netbook in use as a sort of media center and sometimes it doesn't deliver sound to the head phone output where it is supposed to output to the Aux input of the HIFI amplifier.
    Pulling the plug will deliver sound to the internal speakers but no setting can convince it to send sound to the amplifier.

The solution is to boot up with a real head phone connected and after boot change the plug for the amplifier one.
    So it looks like the (very high) impedance of the amplifier makes the netbook switch off it's hardware during boot.

Comment

I am confused and do not understand how this applies to my situation. Nevertheless, I do not get any sound, even when the computer just starts and the opening music plays. Still, this is not the result when I open the other of my dual-boot system. When I open Win7, as the program opens I hear it's opening music. If I click on netflix and play a movie, it plays and I hear all the sounds. It is just the Kubuntu OS that will not play any sounds. I don't even have any head phones right now to try what you are saying and am not sure I understand what you are saying anyway. I am 2 electrons short of a 1 electron brain.

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
      One other wide shot:

We have an HP-mini netbook in use as a sort of media center and sometimes it doesn't deliver sound to the head phone output where it is supposed to output to the Aux input of the HIFI amplifier.
      Pulling the plug will deliver sound to the internal speakers but no setting can convince it to send sound to the amplifier.

The solution is to boot up with a real head phone connected and after boot change the plug for the amplifier one.
      So it looks like the (very high) impedance of the amplifier makes the netbook switch off it's hardware during boot.

Comment

You might want to look at this: How To Fix: No Sound In Ubuntu 14.04 And Linux Mint 17
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

You amaze me, friend. I didn't fine this, how did you? 7 year old post.

I have attempted all but the last approach without success. I had to install gedit to continue. When I did, I got this reply from the terminal:

steven@Yeshuah-desktop:~$ sudo gedit /etc/default/speech-dispatcher
          [sudo] password for steven:

** (gedit:2758): WARNING **: Could not load theme icon user-bookmarks-symbolic: Icon 'user-bookmarks-symbolic' not present in theme

** (gedit:2758): WARNING **: Could not load theme icon user-home-symbolic: Icon 'user-home-symbolic' not present in theme

** (gedit:2758): WARNING **: Could not load theme icon drive-harddisk-symbolic: Icon 'drive-harddisk-symbolic' not present in theme

(gedit:2758): Gtk-WARNING **: Calling Inhibit failed: GDBus.Errorrg.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

This is over my head. Do you have any further recommendation what to do?

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          After getting the above response, I looked for the Gnome Desktop application in Muon. Found it, but was unsure whether I should install it, and decided to return to you for advice.

I have another persistent problem where applications open below the existing page. This happened when the above command line error appeared.

A hidden window appeared that surely was a part of the Gnome Desktop, and even though I did not yet install Gnome Desktop, I did click on something in that window, can't remember exactly what, but a list of items appeared.

I remembered that the final instruction of the original help post said to change a 'yes' to 'no' and thought it might appear from this list. Not knowing what to select, there was an entry called "Pusleaudio". I selected it. [this getting old sucks sometimes] I can't remember what happened when I did that, but I thought this information might ring a bell with you for further help.

I am such an expert at screwing up, I should make a profession of it.
          Last edited by Shabakthanai; Sep 06, 2014, 06:32 PM.

Comment

OK, you didn't need to install gedit. Gedit is the Gnome/Unity equivalent of our Kate or Kwrite app. You could have used Kate as effectively.

Also, you shouldn't run gui apps using sudo. You should use kdesudo. I guess you probably didn't realise gedit was a gui app?

So, the error messages you got trying to run gedit were more to do with trying to run a Gnome app in Kubuntu (KDE) and maybe because you used sudo instead of kdesudo (I think).

Instead of the line on that page (the Second Alternate Method): sudo gedit /etc/default/speech-dispatcher
            you should instead try this: kdesudo kate /etc/default/speech-dispatcher
            Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
            Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

You read me like a book, my friend. Thanks

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
              OK, you didn't need to install gedit. Gedit is the Gnome/Unity equivalent of our Kate or Kwrite app. You could have used Kate as effectively.

Also, you shouldn't run gui apps using sudo. You should use kdesudo. I guess you probably didn't realise gedit was a gui app?

So, the error messages you got trying to run gedit were more to do with trying to run a Gnome app in Kubuntu (KDE) and maybe because you used sudo instead of kdesudo (I think).

Instead of the line on that page (the Second Alternate Method): sudo gedit /etc/default/speech-dispatcher
              you should instead try this: kdesudo kate /etc/default/speech-dispatcher
              I removed gedit, Rod. Thanks
              Last edited by Shabakthanai; Sep 14, 2014, 09:05 AM. Reason: forgot to say I did something

Comment

I opened a terminal and did as you suggested. My computer is pretty fast, and after pressing enter, the cursor moved to the next line and just sits there. Sometimes when this happens, it means the computer is working to resolve a command, so I am sitting here waiting for something to happen. It has been going on for several minutes now, so I am stumped what to do. I have an 8 core processor with 16GB RAM, it seems unreasonable that the computer is still working on a reply, but ...@$#*&^%#(@ you can see why that persistent opening under existing window is such a problem. I finally remembered that and sure enough hidden underneath my current page is the request for password to open Kate. Sorry to ramble, but I think you and others should realize how serious the 'opening under current app problem is'. Aparently SteveRiley has experienced the problem in OpenOffice too, now, so I am no longer alone with that problem. I will finish and get back to you. Thanks for your continued patience.

Comment

My computer is difinately working the problem, finally a long list of can't do's is appearing and the work continues.

When I opened Kate, I didn't know what to enter or open and referred to the original help post I was referred to. I looked for Speach Dispatcher, but it was not in the list of items Kate provided. I did click on Pulseaudio, one of the entries and the following appeared:

# This file is deprecated please edit /etc/init/pulseaudio.conf I read the words but do not understand what I am to do. I think one of my two electrons is taking a nap and putting pressure to perform on the remainder.

Comment

My computer stopped working the problem and here is what it came up with:

steven@Yeshuah-desktop:~$ kdesudo kate /etc/default/speech-dispatcher

Bus:pen: Can not get ibus-daemon's address.
                    IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon
                    QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
                    Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QStr ing,QString,QString)
                    QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
                    kbuildsycoca4 running...
                    QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
                    QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /root/.config/ibus/bus
                    Bus:pen: Can not get ibus-daemon's address.
                    IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon
                    QObject::connect: Cannot connect (null)::resourceScoreUpdated(QString, QString, QString, double) to NepomukPlugin::resourceScoreUpdated(QString, QString, QString, double)
                    QObject::connect: Cannot connect (null)::recentStatsDeleted(QString, int, QString) to NepomukPlugin::deleteRecentStats(QString, int, QString)
                    QObject::connect: Cannot connect (null)::earlierStatsDeleted(QString, int) to NepomukPlugin::deleteEarlierStats(QString, int)
                    kactivitymanagerd(3017)/nepomuk (library): Could not find virtuoso to connect to. Aborting
                    QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
                    QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /root/.kde/share/config/activitymanager-pluginsrc
                    Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower:eviceAdded(QDBusObjectPath)
                    Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower:eviceRemoved(QDBusObjectPath)
                    Disc in /dev/sr0 is a Video DVD
                    Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower:eviceAdded(QDBusObjectPath)
                    Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower:eviceRemoved(QDBusObjectPath)
                    steven@Yeshuah-desktop:~$
                    steven@Yeshuah-desktop:~$

Again, this is over my head to understand the implications of the work.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod J View Post

When I know it is a KDE application, I do try to run kdesudo, and do so also when an application isn't obvious by its name, but by how it is used, like Dolphin. I have to admit, that comingling Gnome and KDE is a bit confusing. I accept that they both work fine on Kubuntu, but still for one like me it is still confusing when I see an update that always refers to Ubuntu entries and not Kubuntu. It sure would be nice if even in the updates and such, they would use Kubntu entries instead of Ubuntu. One more electron and I might be able to handle the confusion.

Comment

That's because the file /etc/default/speech-dispatcher doesn't exist.

The URL I cited was a suggestion. Given that this file doesn't exist, then attempting "that solution" isn't viable.

Did you try the initial suggestions?

sudo alsa force-reload

And if that didn't work, then:

sudo apt-get remove --purge alsa-base pulseaudio
                        sudo apt-get install alsa-base pulseaudio

And force reload Alsa again:

sudo alsa force-reload

Comment

Yes, but unfortunately nothing changed for the better. I am not and will never blame anyone who is trying to help me. I was just explaining that success was not achieved. I never know where the solution will come, and appreciate each and every attempt to help. If I ever give the implication that I am complaining about any offered help, I am either misunderstood or stated things I did not intend. You are among those I most appreciate in the forum. I so wish I had your talent and skill, so I too could help others. I just love this stuff.

That's because the file /etc/default/speech-dispatcher doesn't exist.

The URL I cited was a suggestion. Given that this file doesn't exist, then attempting "that solution" isn't viable.

Did you try the initial suggestions?

sudo alsa force-reload

And if that didn't work, then:

sudo apt-get remove --purge alsa-base pulseaudio
                          sudo apt-get install alsa-base pulseaudio

And force reload Alsa again:

sudo alsa force-reload

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
                            If I ever give the implication that I am complaining about any offered help, I am either misunderstood or stated things I did not intend.
                            Never. I hope any comments I make aren't similarly construed.
                            Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
                            You are among those I most appreciate in the forum. I so wish I had your talent and skill, so I too could help others. I just love this stuff.
                            Kind words. Thank you.

I can imagine that this situation is frustrating the heck out of you; I'm sure it would if I were experiencing it.

Do you have a LiveDVD or LiveUSB of this version of Kubuntu? If you do, do you have system sound using it?

Comment

What a great idea. I am not sure. I actually installed Kubuntu 13.10 and while doing the work that must be done post-installation, I made a mistake and while thinking I was just upgrading packages actually upgraded the distribution to 14.04. I used a USB 3.0 stick for the install; it was very fast and appeared perfect.

Should I try to use that USB to see if sound is present on the try Kubuntu option or assume this happened in the upgrade.

You are right about the frustration, I have two persistent problems which both make the OS pretty much useless. You probably noticed, but the other is when I open most applications or click on links, etc. the existing screen remains and the selected screens appear under the existing screen.

My computer is quite fast, so many times I will click the same selection several times before I remember the problem. Each click was successful; each page opened under the preceding. This problem is driving me nuts, yet I don't want to solve every difficult problem by reinstalling the OS again, even though my impatience keeps screaming at me. It was either Steve or Vince, they both are so good at this stuff, but one of them got a similar result using OpenOffice. It showed me that the problem, although more severe in my computer, is experienced by at least one other. Of course I am not happy that he is also affected, but it is nice to know that it probably isn't another of my classic screw-ups gone unnoticed. I am hanging in there, because whatever cause the problem may be rare, but will probably affect others, so a solution is pretty important in my thinking. With every breath you take, I hope your day gets better, friend. Another way to say and mean Have a Good Day

Never. I hope any comments I make aren't similarly construed.
                              Kind words. Thank you.

I can imagine that this situation is frustrating the heck out of you; I'm sure it would if I were experiencing it.

Do you have a LiveDVD or LiveUSB of this version of Kubuntu? If you do, do you have system sound using it?
                              Last edited by Shabakthanai; Sep 07, 2014, 07:42 PM. Reason: left out an important word and did not notice while editing

Comment

Yes, use the Try Kubuntu option on the USB. IF you have working sound there, we know that your current issue is a configuration one, and that can be resolved.

Comment

Working...
                                X