Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What packages are necessary for a computer to have sound?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	backend.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	642437

Comment

In the command line, type "alsamixer" and check to make sure all your levels are up. Press F6 to change sound devices.

Comment

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...-Audigy2-Value

It's an old thread, but maybe worthwhile to have a look
        sigpic

Comment

What do you see when you go into the "Audio Hardware Setup" tab (I explained this in my post #10). It is in there that you can see what hardware is enabled/disabled and choose what you want enabled.
          Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
          Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
            Whenever I mention it, it goes unattended but, is there code that would disable on board sound? When I installed the sound card on the Windows 7 OS, it said to disable all on board sound before installing the drivers. I don't know how to do that, and Google can't provide the answer I need. That may be all that is necessary to get the Creative driver to install properly, whomever made it.
            You're thinking that Kubuntu works the same way as in Windows ... it doesn't! That is why the question has been ignored.

The way to do what you want is what I said to do in post #10 (System Settings, Multimedia, Phonon, Audio Hardware Setup tab).
            Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
            Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

I selected the SB entry. Does that disable the Realtek onboard sound? Thanks! I set all levels at their maximum. The ones that allowed adjustment. Still no sound.

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
              In the command line, type "alsamixer" and check to make sure all your levels are up. Press F6 to change sound devices.

Comment

System Settings/Multimedia/there is no reference to Phonon, but in Audio and Video Settings there is an Adio Hardware Setup: I keep setting to the Sound Blaster Audigy card, and next time I enter the screen it shows Cape Verde/Pitcairn HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 7700/7800 Series]. Someone mentioned that the HDMI digital sterio was a TV connection and did not work on my PC. That may be the problem, but I don't seem to be able to have my analog card accepted.

By the way, I have a few Phonon packages installed, there are several more; should I install them all? It brings me back to a question that no one answers and that is the method to disable the Realtek onboard sound? That was an instruction when I installed in the Win7 OS. Disable prior to install of the SB drivers.

Comment

Is there any chance that the Sound Blaster Audigy drivers were not installed or their generic? They will not stay in the Audio Hardware Setup; they always revert back to the HDMI card, which is on the onboard sound. It seems to me like that is where my problem is, but I have no idea how to correct it. Thanks for not giving up on me.

Name:	Audio Hardware Setup.jpg
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	642439

Comment

This is what it looks like seconds later. I have not changed anything this is done by the computer against my instruction:

Name:	Audio Hardware Settings 2.jpg
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	642440

Comment

I'm not sure you're doing it right.

You select the device you want to enable/disable (Hardware) in the "Sound Card" by clicking on the little arrow at the far right.

Then on the "Profile" part choose "Off" to disable it by clicking on the options via the little arrow on the right.

So, disable all the audio EXCEPT the one you want to get working (SB0400 Audigy2 Value).

Comment

I am so stupid, I did not turn off in profile before, however I have turned off two of the three items in the list leaving only SB Audigy, and restarted too in case it was needed, and still I have no sound. I really expected that to work, and am at a loss in what to do next.

You are a great friend to have this patience with me. I just plain did not read your previous reply accurately and missed the part about Profile. I hate the way I abuse forum time, even though the result was not attained, but you are faithful to stick with the limited intellects and got that part of my question resolved. Sometimes I am not so easy to help, thanks again! Any ideas on what to do next prior to a new installation of the OS?

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
                        I'm not sure you're doing it right.

You select the device you want to enable/disable (Hardware) in the "Sound Card" by clicking on the little arrow at the far right.

Then on the "Profile" part choose "Off" to disable it by clicking on the options via the little arrow on the right.

So, disable all the audio EXCEPT the one you want to get working (SB0400 Audigy2 Value).

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
                          You are a great friend to have this patience with me.
                          Patience is a virtue of which I can assure you I am very lacking in! I'm daily trying to improve my patience all the time ... and patience with my own shortcomings is the hardest to overcome.

Make sure in the System Settings, Audio and Video Settings, Device Preference tab, Audio Playback settings (Notifications, etc) are set to the Audigy card as the first preference.

Other than the above, all I can think of is to check the mixer settings are correct (nothing muted, etc) and that the hardware connections to the audio card are correct. If Kubuntu is detecting the card OK it should work.

Comment

How about installing veromix plasma widget and trying to do it from there?

Comment

Yeah, the veromix widget is really useful. I use it to easily switch audio output to my headset when required. It could help in this case too I guess.

Comment

Thanks but I installed it shortly after completing the installation. It does not help at all.

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
                                Yeah, the veromix widget is really useful. I use it to easily switch audio output to my headset when required. It could help in this case too I guess.

Comment

Working...
                                X