This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To Change DNS Settings

I want to configure the DNS settings to use specific DNS servers, not the ones provided by the ISP.
    Where do I configure this?
    I've looked in System Settings > Network Settings. I've also brought up settings from the network icon in the system tray. I've tried looking in Network Interfaces. None of these have an option to configure DNS.

Kubuntu 13.10.

Thanks

Click on the Network Management icon in the System Tray. Click the wrench icon on the desired connection. Click on the IPv4 and IPv6 tabs. click the editing icon the the right of Other DNS Servers:
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for that. I didn't notice the button changing between disabled/edit.

I can't save the settings though. The OK button greys out after I enter some servers and thus I cannot save the changes. I'm assuming that's because I need to execute it as root. How do I do that?

Also, is there another way to bring this up? Is it somewhere in the K menu?

Comment

Originally posted by Sanctimonius Smurf View Post
        I can't save the settings though. The OK button greys out after I enter some servers and thus I cannot save the changes. I'm assuming that's because I need to execute it as root. How do I do that?
        You don't need root to do this, because you're only changing settings for you user.

I take it you're adding more than one nameserver? If you want to do that, you have to separate them with commas or use the little GUI thing to create the list (use the pencil and paper icon to the right and add one nameserver at a time to the box at the top).

I bet you just entered two servers with a space between them like I did!

Here's an example using opendns:

Click image for larger version

Name:	dns.png
Views:	1
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	642428

Click image for larger version

Name:	dns2.png
Views:	1
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	642429
        samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

No, I'm entering them correctly. But as soon as I put something in there, the OK button greys out. Even if I only enter one IP address. My other settings look like yours, too.

Comment

OK that is strange... are they valid IP addresses? If you enter the ones I listed above does the button still grey out?
            samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Yes, I'm using the google ones.

Comment

Smurf,

Are you still working on this issue? If so, I may have a tip. Let me know if you still need some assistance.

Comment

I am probably way out of line here, because you know so much more about DNS servers, but I am trying to learn while reading this post. I saw something in a link that perhaps is relevant and am referring it, even though I am sure it is a presumption on my part. If I again made myself a fool, that's OK, I am trying to learn, as well as learn to contribute. The below link refers to a thing called a 36 hour time for propagation. It is a time period for newly entered DNS servers to post the information around the world. It may be cause of your problem. If an answer did not help, and a little time passed and it started working for you, that may be the cause.

http://www.networksolutions.com/supp...-does-it-work/

Comment

Shabakthanai, the link you posted is behavior that occurs server-side. Smurf's question pertains to client-side. Good effort, though---network function awareness is becoming increasingly important as IPv4 addresses become depleted and IPv6 begins to take over.

theAdmiral71

Comment

I just took another look at it and I figured out the problem.
                      I was using the Edit DNS servers - Connection editor to add and order DNS server addresses. When I would click OK on that window, it would enter all the addresses accordingly into the Other DNS Servers field, but would put a comma after the last address. The main Edit Connection window would see this as invalid, and grey-out the OK button. Deleting that trailing comma allowed me to click OK and save the settings.

I appreciate everyone's efforts to assist me with this. Thanks

Comment

Thats a long bug there since IDK what version of all *buntus. I just was going to post this right after I just read u solved it.
                        Anyway for next time try to edit your network config with terminal, is much easier.

"sudo vim /etc/network/interfaces"

iface eth0 inet static
                        address 192.168.1.5
                        netmask 255.255.255.0
                        gateway 192.168.1.254

dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4

And save it, after that just run,

"sudo ifdown eth0"
                        "sudo ifup eth0"

As simple as that.

Comment

Originally posted by kiraitachi View Post
                          Thats a long bug there since IDK what version of all *buntus. I just was going to post this right after I just read u solved it.
                          Anyway for next time try to edit your network config with terminal, is much easier.

"sudo vim /etc/network/interfaces"

iface eth0 inet static
                          address 192.168.1.5
                          netmask 255.255.255.0
                          gateway 192.168.1.254

dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4

And save it, after that just run,

"sudo ifdown eth0"
                          "sudo ifup eth0"

As simple as that.
                          That doesn't really work if one wishes to use network manager to manage connections, as network manager will not manage network interfaces that have been defined in /e/n/interfaces.

One can, however add nameservers to resolvconf configs.

Comment

Originally posted by kiraitachi View Post
                            Easier for who? Me, perhaps. But if I need to walk a non-techie person through this over the phone? Not really. Maybe I wouldn't be walking, say, my dear old mom through how to edit her DNS servers. But just in general, config files and terminal windows are asking for trouble. It's hard enough getting her and folks like her to click the right buttons and type the right things into text fields that are even labeled.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Sanctimonius Smurf View Post
                              and grey-out the OK button. Deleting that trailing comma allowed me to click OK and save the settings.

I appreciate everyone's efforts to assist me with this. Thanks
                              I had a similar issue, the netmask must end in a trailing zero for the ok button to light up.

Comment

Working...
                              X