X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot connect to Internet

Hi to everybody,
    Please help a Linux greenhorn!

I successfully installed Kubuntu 6.0.6 on a machine which runs also Windows XP, however, it appears that I can’t get access to internet. When I type an address in Konqueror I always get the following error message:

An error occurred while loading http://www.google.com/:
    Unknown host www.google.com

Funny enough, the computer recognizes the local network since I can see other computers and move/copy files under Samba Shares!

I tried unsuccessfully to follow some suggestions fund in this forum, like adding DNS address to the “resolv.config” file which is empty or modify the “/etc/network/interfaces” file, however, I am facing the following strange situation. When I open the file with Konqueror, it opens whit Kate and although I can read and write, I can not save any changes. It says access denied! When I open Konqueror through a command line (with: ksudo Konqueror) it opens as root after asking for my password, but then I can not open the files! I am getting the following message: KDEInit could not lounge ‘kate’.

I guess my mind is still completely windows driven. Any help on these matters very very much appreciated.

Re: Cannot connect to Internet

I'm not sure how to fix the network problem, but to edit a file as root, just run this command:

sudo kate /etc/network/interfaces

That will just load the file directly into kate rather than going through Konqueror first.

Comment

THANKS 6and9!

I tried your suggestion and was able to add the DNS address to the resolv.config file. And I got connected instantly.

Many many thanks

Comment

Glad to hear it

Comment

Working...
        X