This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opening files from NTFS partition

How can files residing on NTFS partition be made accessible from a program (other than Dolphin) on Kubuntu side?

I can see all my win drives from Dolphin and also access any file on any win drive from Dolphin, which I understand would mean that they are mounted. However, while I'm in Qt none of the NTFS folders are available, only drives and folders created by Kubuntu. I need to keep source files on a drive which is accessible from both Windows and Kubuntu.

Thanks
    Rob

The KDE file manager (Dolphin) will mount partitions if they are not mounted.

There are many ways to mount partitions automatically:

Ubuntu Community help - Automatically Mount Partitions: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Au...ountPartitions
    Ubuntu Community help - Fstab: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fstab

Removable media / KDE:

KDE UserBase Wiki - Removable Devices: https://userbase.kde.org/System_Sett...ovable_Devices
    Last edited by Rog132; Aug 30, 2014, 05:21 AM.
    A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
    Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

Have a look at System Settings - Removable Devices; IMO a misnomer, as partitions on distinctly unremovable disks appear.

As well, you can use the udisksctl command to do what dolphin does; f.ex.
      Code:
      $ udisksctl mount -b /dev/sda1
      Mounted /dev/sda1 at /media/john/boot.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

mount through /etc/fstab

one of my ntfs mounts looks like this:
        UUID=783AB5E43AB59F94 /mnt/windows7 ntfs defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0 0
        K 14.4 64 AMD 955be3200MHz 8GB 1866Mhz 6TB Plex/samba.etc.+ Macbook Air 13".

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
          Have a look at System Settings - Removable Devices; IMO a misnomer, as partitions on distinctly unremovable disks appear.

As well, you can use the udisksctl command to do what dolphin does; f.ex.
          Code:
          $ udisksctl mount -b /dev/sda1
          Mounted /dev/sda1 at /media/john/boot.
          Thanks to all so far.

I'm getting half way thru with "sudo udisksctl mount -b /dev/sdb9" I also set auto mounting via System Settings - Removable Devices. Building the source works fine from the ntfs drive but starting the program fails on "Path or permissions wrong?"-error. As the path is now correct (thru media/... ), then are there some priviledges that I must set and how?

Thanks,
          Rob

PS. I found the UUID for the drive and edited the fstab but when restarting I get an "unable to mount" - error. I tried to dig info for the other required parameters but that seems a bit complicated.

PPS. Edited just to say that the app works fine if started from my Qt Kubuntu projects folder.
          Last edited by robopoulos; Aug 30, 2014, 08:19 AM.

Comment

try
            make a tmp dir
            mkdir stuff
            sudo mount /dev/sdb9 stuff/

fstab it if you can mount it manually
            K 14.4 64 AMD 955be3200MHz 8GB 1866Mhz 6TB Plex/samba.etc.+ Macbook Air 13".

Comment

Originally posted by robopoulos View Post
              I'm getting half way thru with "sudo udisksctl mount -b /dev/sdb9"
              udisksctl does not need sudo.

Regards, John Little
              Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by robopoulos
                ... starting the program fails on "Path or permissions wrong?"-error. ...
                Add a umask option:
                Code:
                udisksctl mount -b /dev/sdf1 -o umask=000
                Regards, John Little

Comment

Add a umask option:
                  Code:
                  udisksctl mount -b /dev/sdf1 -o umask=000
                  YES! This did the trick, thanks!

/Rob

PS. Was the reason for the required permissions to run the compiled executable perhaps because I used "sudo udisksctl..." while Qt runs under normal user priviledges?

Comment

Originally posted by robopoulos View Post
                    PS. Was the reason for the required permissions to run the compiled executable perhaps because I used "sudo udisksctl..." while Qt runs under normal user priviledges?
                    No, permissions support in Linux for NTFS partitions is a kludge. All the files get the same permissions, I think. Maybe the native NTFS permissions are too different.
                    Regards, John Little

Comment

No, permissions support in Linux for NTFS partitions is a kludge. All the files get the same permissions, I think. Maybe the native NTFS permissions are too different.
                      All right, thanks a bunch.

/Rob

Comment

Working...
                      X