Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When I open a new window, it opens hidden behind the existing window. Is this a conf

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
    Steve, look what happens when I do the following in the console:

steven@Yeshuah-desktop:~$ find ~ -iname kwinrulesrc
    find: `/home/steven/.cache/dconf': Permission denied
    steven@Yeshuah-desktop:~$ sudo find ~ -iname kwinrulesrc
    [sudo] password for steven:
    steven@Yeshuah-desktop:~$

Then:

steven@Yeshuah-desktop:~$ kdesudo ~ -iname kwinrulesrc
    steven@Yeshuah-desktop:~$ sudo ~-iname kwinrulesrc
    sudo: ~-iname: command not found

I am trying to follow your instruction from the post. What am I doing wrong this time? I tried every possibility I could see to correct any possible mis-read by me or accidental mistake on your part, which I realize will never happen By the way, how do you highlight a phrase? Thanks
    Whoops, now I see this earlier post, where you were trying to do the find. I will make some comments now about your various attempts.

Code:
    steven@Yeshuah-desktop:~$ find ~ -iname kwinrulesrc
    find: `/home/steven/.cache/dconf': Permission denied
    This is the correct format of the command. If the file existed, you would have seen something like this:
    Code:
    steve@t520:~$ find ~ -iname kwinrulesrc
    /home/steve/.kde/share/config/kwinrulesrc
    steve@t520:~$
    The find command never reports "doesn't exist," it simply displays nothing. Because it didn't report the file does exist, you can assume it doesn't.

However: we have learned one thing that's a problem. If the command is unable to search inside a subdirectory, it will tell you why. In your case, there is a permissions problem with the ~/.cache/dconf subdirectory. Let's fix that. Please run the following command: sudo chown -R steven:steven ~/.cache/dconf

Code:
    steven@Yeshuah-desktop:~$ sudo find ~ -iname kwinrulesrc
    [sudo] password for steven:
    Don't use sudo unless you know you need to run something as root. In the case here, we aren't looking for root's files.

Generally, it's never right to augment instructions provided on the forum in this fashion. If someone advises to run command foo and it appears not to work, never attempt to force it to work by running sudo foo. Instead, just report back here what happened.

Code:
    steven@Yeshuah-desktop:~$ kdesudo ~ -iname kwinrulesrc
    This is a further attempt at modifying my instructions, and is wrong in two ways. First, don't use kdesudo when running text-based commands in a console window. Use this only when running graphical programs from the console and when you need to elevate to root. Second, there's no command following kdesudo. You probably meant to type find but left it out.

Code:
    steven@Yeshuah-desktop:~$ sudo ~-iname kwinrulesrc
    sudo: ~-iname: command not found
    Here are two mistakes. First, it's missing the find again. Second, it's missing the space between ~ and -iname. Therefore, the shell interpreted your meaning to be this: "Please run the ~-iname command." Heh -- there is no such thing, thus the error.

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
      thank GOD for tabs sometimes, because when you see 15 of them running across the top of the screen, each looking exactly the same, you finally remember that your computer likes to play games with you and put each link under the preceding link.
      Waaaaaait a second... tabs?

Shab -- please do whatever it is you do to make this problem appear. Then, get out your phone or digital camera and take a photograph of the monitor. Upload that here. Let's all take a look at what you're seeing.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	HiddenPage.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	642448

I took a screen print of Dolphin after I selected a document and clicked the mouse. Normally the document I selected would open and appear on the screen at this time. That is not what happens when I open a document. The right monitor shows a screen print of my desktop, right and left monitor. No matter how many times I click on a document, it does not appear; it remains hidden behind the initial page.

The document you see on the left is what should have appeared on screen when I clicked on it in the Dolphin application, but what actually remains on the screen is what you see on screen 2. When I am working on the left monitor, and click on an item, it's name appears on the upper panel of my right monitor (circled in red).

If I had clicked on the document 10 times in a row, what would show on the screen would be the dolphin screen that appeared when I opened the dolphin application. On the upper panel on the second monitor would be a row of 10 repeated identities of the document I was opening. Each would be hidden underneath the dolphin screen. To close the ten open pages, I would have to first close the dolphin screen, then close the document screen 10 times before they would all be closed.

After I made the screen print for this post, I opened Rekonq. After I clicked on Rekonq, I had to close the screen print page, because Rekonq opened under the screen print page. Having to go through this process to view a page I just opened is driving me nuts. It happens every time. I sure hope you understand and can help me. Thanks friend

Comment

Did you try again to do what Steve was asking you to do earlier?

It is possible that some settings in the kwinrules.rc file (if it exists) are causing the problems you're having.

Copy and paste this into a terminal: rm ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrulesrc

To paste the line into a terminal you need to use Shift Ctrl-V (normal Ctrl-V won't work). Or click on "Edit" in the Terminal menu and click Paste.
          Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
          Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

It is great to see and hear from you again, Rod. Hope all is well with you and yours.

To be sure I followed instruction properly, here is what I did:

I opened a shell, then selected your code and clicked on Copy, then I made active the prompt in the shell and pressed Ctrl+Shift+V and the rm command entered in the command prompt. I pressed enter, and immediately my computer returned to the command prompt.

To verify that it was removed, I repeated the command and got this as a response:

steven@Yeshuah-desktop:~$ rm ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrulesrc
            rm: cannot remove ‘/home/steven/.kde/share/config/kwinrulesrc’: No such file or directory

so apparently it was removed. Nevertheless, I then tried opening a document, and it opened behind the current page, just as before. After I leave this post, I will reboot the computer and see if that has an impact on what is happening. If pages start opening on top, I will mark the post as "Solved", and it will confirm your instruction, Thanks my friend.

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
            Did you try again to do what Steve was asking you to do earlier?

It is possible that some settings in the kwinrules.rc file (if it exists) are causing the problems you're having.

To paste the line into a terminal you need to use Shift Ctrl-V (normal Ctrl-V won't work). Or click on "Edit" in the Terminal menu and click Paste.

Comment

You probably knew that restarting would not help. It did not. Documents still open underneath the the current page.

Rod, I cannot remember a time when after a new install new problems occur that I never before experienced. This one is like that. What do you think, should I try reinstalling again? I believe I have used up existing experience relating to this type of problem. It is a problem that I don't think anyone could live with though. I know I can not. And I bet if I reinstall, this problem will not happen again. The only problem is what will the new problem be?

Shab

Comment

FWIW, I'm now noticing the same problem when opening anything in LibreOffice via Dolphin. This is the only situaiton in which I see the problem, and it's consistent. The LibreOffice window appears beneath Dolphin, but on top of any other window on the desktop. I'm fairly sure this is a recent behavior change.

Comment

I am happy to hear that anyone else has experienced the same or similar problem, even though I am sorry it is happening to you.

It is not just on Dolphin in my case. When I open a browser, then select a bookmark, the bookmark appears on top like it should. It is the only instance that does that I have noticed. If I select the browser for let's say 'Help the New Guy' anything I select on the forum opens correctly, however, should I have something to upload, that page is again hidden behind the existing screen.

Opening Gimp or Open Office an email application or any other program seems to open below the existing page, so apparently I have a slightly more severe problem. Over the years I have attempted to report bugs. I have usually had a problem accurately remitting and have been unsuccessful it appropriate follow-up. I still send a report, when it is requested if having a problem on my computer, but I really do not know what happens from there. And I always download and install bug symbols when I install a new application. But to my knowledge, the programmers have never followed up on any of my bug reports.

I am not sure, but this appears like a bug that probably came in an update. If you know how to make sure it gets reported, I would appreciate it. If you would care to explain in terms I may be able to understand the process, I would like to be able to be more professional in my aid in the repair of bugs.

I was going to re-install again, this problem is a daunting problem when it affects most everything. I will wait for more activity in case the programmers want to ask questions from someone who has experienced an extreme experience of the problem before re-installing the OS. I can use my Windows 7 OS for most things in the process. And since I have at least one other seemingly unique problem, which may be a part of this problem, I will wait.

I have been with the problem for quite a long time, so if you think I should go ahead and re-install now I would like to know that. There is no assurance the same problem would not return, but Kubuntu is pretty much unusable to me, until the problem is fixed. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

This problem seemed to repair itself when I made a fresh install of Kubuntu 14.04. I spent a lot of time on this problem without any solution, so this may be the only way to solve the problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X