X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox and Flash Updates.

H,

When I used Vista I always had the opportunity tu update Fireeox and Flash through a browser notification system.

I don't see this facility if KUBUNTU for FF and Flash.

What is the process for updating these programmes when updates are published by the respective companies?

Thanks
    kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

Firefox once released will get built from the source specifically for Ubuntu by Ubuntu, and will show up in your system updates. This often can lag some days from the official release. Same method for updating Flash. If there is a security fix for it, it will show up there as well. 99.99% of your software updates will come from the package, manager. That possible 0.01% comes from software you compile yourself (and thus no automatic updates), from a random deb file manually installed (and thus not from a repository that provides update information to the package manager) or some other edge case.

tl;dr All your software updates, installs, removals come via a package manager.

Note that as Adobe have stopped making new versions of flash for Linux, we are limited to security fixes only these days.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoftwareManagement has many useful links, though it looks like some of the Kubuntu bits in some of these need updating, lol, but the concepts are the same.

Comment

Thank you

As always - helpful

Ps. In the Windows environment users are always advised to close other program when installing. Is the same advice applicable when installing to KUBUNTU, or does it not matter?
      Last edited by anonprivate; Aug 27, 2014, 10:24 PM.
      kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

Comment

Working...
      X