This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck on black screen with unity 8 preview

I installed the new unity preview, logged out to switch to it, and was met with a black screen and the pointer. I've tried logging out with different key combos that I looked up, and tried removing unity through shell via recovery, but cannot :mad:
    I have the laptop set to auto login, so rebooting of course bypasses the login screen. Thanks for any help!
    Kubuntu 14.04
    Toshiba Satellite

Edit-
    Ctl f1 dropped to shell, and I was able to: sudo apt-get remove unity8-desktop-session-mir
    Then
    Sudo reboot
    And I'm finally able to get back in

You might try removing the battery and turn off your computer for a minute before restarting. It sometimes resets things.

Can you boot from your BIOS. I can with my system. If you can enter your BIOS (press your Del button several times or perhaps f2) when restarting; should get you into the BIOS. Check for boot opportunities. My computer is kind of new with some pretty fancy bells and whistles, so you may not have that possibility, but you never know until you try. Hope this helps!

Originally posted by jeffhutch.412 View Post
    I installed the new unity preview, logged out to switch to it, and was met with a black screen and the pointer. I've tried logging out with different key combos that I looked up, and tried removing unity through shell via recovery, but cannot :mad:
    I have the laptop set to auto login, so rebooting of course bypasses the login screen. Thanks for any help!
    Kubuntu 14.04
    Toshiba Satellite

Edit-
    Ctl f1 dropped to shell, and I was able to: sudo apt-get remove unity8-desktop-session-mir
    Then
    Sudo reboot
    And I'm finally able to get back in

Comment

Working...
    X