This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Complex and confusing problem, only Expert Guru can help,

I suspect I may have found the cause of unknown problems, perhaps in previous installations too, while attempting to solve my problems by going back 2 versions of Kubuntu to 13.10.

For those of you accept the challenge and who have been trying to help me for months now, what I must describe is confusing for me, may be very understandable or may also be confusing for you, however was not noticed on previous version installs, so I suspect it has been with me for multiple versions of attempt to install.

When installing a new version of Kubuntu, to make sure I do not lose any data, I do not format, but do set the file system of all existing and used partitions, with the exception of the one containing the Operating System that is going to be removed and reinstalled with the new installation. That one, of course, I check the box for Format.

With all the problems I have been having over the past couple of years, I did not notice something that is probably causing my problems. One of my TB drives is entered with an NTFS file system and should be entered with an EXT4 file system. I don't even remember when I first noticed that I had somehow deleted my stored files, however, the fact that I do not have files that used to be stored in my /home partition, or my /svpersonal partition, I have been existing trying to fill my personal data base for quite some time.

My thinking now is that at some time in the past, I wrongly set the file system for the partition that contained that missing information to NTFS when it should have been EXT4. I suspect the missing data is still there. If I am correct in my thinking, I am further confused by what name I should apply to that partition is I attempt to correct that problem with this installation, by properly setting the file system EXT4 and naming the partition with the correct name.

Would I be correct in my thinking that the missing information would be in a previous /home partition, due the the significant loss of personal information, or could it be that that the missing data would be in a partition that contained backup data? See, I told you this would be confusing.

My guess is that the partition with the wrongly set file system (NTFS) probably contains my missing data and should have been named my /home partition when my problems first started to appear. Nevertheless, because the /svpersonal partition contained my backup data, at my knowledge level, that also seems a fairly logical guess. Can you advise me on your opinion?

Apparently, whatever drives the opening of my computer has been thoroughly confused by the past mistakes, because my computer no longer opens a Boot Order window prior to the computer opening an OS. It simply opens Window 7, when if anything it should be opening Kubuntu. And this was preceded by my system locking up completely leaving no entry even to the BIOS until I shut down Hard and unplugged the computer for about 30 seconds and then restarted.

This was the first time at startup where the Boot Order window did not appear and Windows 7 opened instead without being selected.

Below is a copy of what appears when during the installation process a user would activate and enter file systems and format the drive containing the Operating System that is to be replaced, just prior to installing the new OS:

DIVICE TYPE MOUNT POINT FORMAT SIZE USED

/dev/sda
    /dev/sda1 ntfs 104MB 25MB
    /dev/sda5 ext4 1,000,096MB 17,578MB
    /dev/sdb
    /dev/sdb swap 32,033MB
    /dev/sdb5 ext4 X 95,999MB 24,312MB *
    /dev/sdc
    free space 1MB
    /dev/sdc1 FAT32 104MB 33MB
    /dev/sdc2 132MB unknown
    /dev/sdc3 ntfs 249,468MB unknown **
    free space 5,974MB
    /dev/sdd
    /dev/sdd1 ntfs 1,000,200MB ***

* I am pretty sure this is my Kubuntu Boot partition. The drive is an SSD that when pur-
    chased contained 128GB. It contains my Kubbuntu OS and is closest in SIZE of all the
    entries..

** This contains the Windows 7 Operating System + files to operate. I did not plan to
    use this OS except in emergency and thought the 244GB SSD would serve my needs.
    The fact that the used portion is UNKNOWN is a bit confusing and is probably because
    the data is in an SSD drive.

[COLOR=#b22222]*** NOTICE THAT THE FILE SYSTEM IS NTFS, SHOULD BE EXT4 AND THAT NO
    DATA IS SHOWN AS USED SPACE. I believe that this is my missing data partition,
    but I am not sure it contains any data anymore. Nonetheless, I believe its mount point,
    in a previous installation, was /home. Not having the proper /home partition has pro-
    bably caused most of my current and previous problems. I am not smart enough to
    deduce.

[B]I was very careful when making the above drive description to space the items
    accurately so that it would be easy to read. When I previewed this Post, I noticed
    that my spacing was not properly reproduced and do not know why. Sorry if it is
    hard to read. If you are having trouble understanding it, please indicate, and I will
    post a reply that explains each item in detail.

Thanks for your patience. I have been having many troubles over the past year or
    two that may have been caused by this error. I have no excuse for not noticing
    the problem during previous installations.

If my deductions are accurate, can I install Kubuntu 13.10. When the time comes to activate the partitions and enter the file systems, can I correct the incorrect entry of ntfs and change to ext4, then set the mount point as /home. Next can I name the other tb drive as /svpersonal, which will correctly save the data of that drive? My concern here is if I change my current /home drive back to /svpersonal, will I lose the data I have since accrued in the wrongly named /home partition. Although it may have been wrongly named /home, it probably contains data, photographs, and the such that I would still like to retain. And if I make these changes, is there any chance the data that was in the /home drive before the mistake occurred is still in that drive? No data is given showing any data in the partition with ntfs as its file system.

I do not believe there has been any instruction to format that partition, either now or in the past, just the improper naming of the file system.

This is so long, I hope it does not chase all away from reading it.
    Last edited by Shabakthanai; Aug 24, 2014, 11:23 AM.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news...really bad news...but I'm 99.99% sure that your files are long gone. If they still exist on the drive, you'd see them, regardless of its file system. Changing its mount point, revising its file system type, etc., won't bring back data that are gone.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

I finally got the DVD out. I retried to install using my Kubuntu 13.10 USB3.0 Stick. Here is the error message that I got. /casper/initrd.L2: read error @ 19326667 I googled the error message which produced nothing. That's a first.

The hole I am in just keeps getting bigger and bigger. I attempted to install Kubuntu 13.10 using my USB 3.0 stick and it was rejected. I attempted to install using an old Kubuntu 13.04 using a DVD and in the preparation stage of the installation it stayed that way for 1 1/2 hours when I finally quit the installation. There were no error messages and the cursor indicated that something was happening by rotating in a circul the whole time. Then, the DVD failed to eject and I seem unable to get it out of the drive bay. I also tried to get the DVD to release putting a small screw driver in the hole on the front. It moved and made the sound I expected, however the DVD remained closed. I thank GOD that I was able to start Windows 7 from the BIOS. When in Windows 7, I have attempted to eject the Kubuntu 13.04 DVD from the drive bay without success. Do you happen to know how I can open that bay from Windows 7?

I downloaded Kubuntu 14.04 from Windows 7 and copied it to a DVD. Nonetheless it would not install when I tried it. I can't even think straight anymore.

Just so you know, I have unplugged the computer for half a minute too and turned it back on, but that did not help either. Generally speaking, my computer is what keeps me from going nuts. It is my voice in the room. I need that voice back. I can't believe it but I am having the same problem with my laptop. AAAAAARG!

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
      I hate to be the bearer of bad news...really bad news...but I'm 99.99% sure that your files are long gone. If they still exist on the drive, you'd see them, regardless of its file system. Changing its mount point, revising its file system type, etc., won't bring back data that are gone.
      Last edited by Shabakthanai; Aug 24, 2014, 11:34 PM. Reason: Add more info.

Comment

I'm really sorry you're having so many problems, Shabakthanai. Hang in there and we'll try to get you all squared away.

I retried to install using my Kubuntu 13.10 USB3.0 Stick. Here is the error message that I got. /casper/initrd.L2: read error @ 19326667 I googled the error message which produced nothing. That's a first.
        That's because the number, 19326667, is unique to you; try doing a Google search leaving that off. When I did I found a lot of posts about it. Also, I believe that should be /casper/initrd.lz, not L2. A quick glance at my Google search suggests that it's a file corruption problem. Perhaps try downloading the file again and see if that solves it.
        Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Oh to have KubuntuAsASecondLanguage, I can see the problem is rich with details, however, all the people addressing it are like you, not me. I am unable to understand much of how they are repairing the problem. I believe it is a bug isolated in one of the kernels. As far as my problem is concerned, here is one reply:

Kernel 2.6.34.7-56.i686.PAE updated by yum fixed this problem for me on my Acer Aspire AX1800-U9002.

I am still confused about whether an Ubuntu fix is the same as a Kubuntu fix. Additionally, I do not know how to do what is recommended. This kernel was mentioned in several other posts.

I am sorry to sound so stressed, but I guess I am. I appreciate the help very much.

I have read and attempted an edit of 'syslinux.cfg, which was reported as a fix. It recommended editing out 'UI' from /media/steven/F4F4-EDD5/syslinux I did that but it did not fix the problem. I do not understand the ramifications of what I did, but when I tried to put back what I removed, 'UI', everything that follows /media/steven/ no longer exists. So I guess I learned what the 'UI' contained.

Is my Kubuntu 13.10 USB ruined, or can I edit back in what was removed? If this compromises your ability to help me, I apologize. In my attempt to not offend the guru, I sometimes do what I think I am supposed to do, and find out I guessed wrong.

I'm really sorry you're having so many problems, Shabakthanai. Hang in there and we'll try to get you all squared away.

That's because the number, 19326667, is unique to you; try doing a Google search leaving that off. When I did I found a lot of posts about it. Also, I believe that should be /casper/initrd.lz, not L2. A quick glance at my Google search suggests that it's a file corruption problem. Perhaps try downloading the file again and see if that solves it.
          Last edited by Shabakthanai; Aug 25, 2014, 08:50 AM. Reason: additional info

Comment

I would not worry about a lost install, it takes less than an hour to make a fresh one.

Your problems are:
            1st. you HAVE to fix the problem with booting a USB or DVD drive into the live mode.
            2nd. from the live mode you should check what, if any, of your data is still recoverable, no need for installation!
            3rd. you have to be able to install from the live session on the existing partitions.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
              I would not worry about a lost install, it takes less than an hour to make a fresh one.

Your problems are:
              1st. you HAVE to fix the problem with booting a USB or DVD drive into the live mode.
              2nd. from the live mode you should check what, if any, of your data is still recoverable, no need for installation!
              3rd. you have to be able to install from the live session on the existing partitions.

I am not sure I understand what you are saying. I am attempting to install Kubuntu 13.10 in my computer. I have a USB 3.0 stick that I just edited out the UI in syslinux.cfg, so that part of programming no longer exists. Nevertheless, when I attempt to install re: USB 3.0 stick, the kubuntu installation does not open. Instead I get an error message as reported previously. The only way I can get out of the screen where the error is present is by Hard Shut Off of the computer.

Does '1st. you HAVE to fix the problem with booting a USB or DVD drive into the live mode.' mean booting a liveCD or liveUSB? If so, that is what I am trying to do. If it means booting to the currently installed version of Kubuntu, I am unable to do that; it is the reason I am trying to install Kubuntu 13.10. In either case, I don't know how to do it.

'2nd. from the live mode you should check what, if any, of your data is still recoverable, no need for installation!' I have been trying to fix an unending complex of problems that has taken place over the past year or so. All of my time has been fixing problems as they appear, with the kind help of the forum. It wasn't until the current attempt to re-install Kubuntu 13.10 that I noticed a problem that probably occurred long ago and went unnoticed until now. The ongoing help has not solved my problems because they did not have all the information, that part I had not noticed until now.

I am led to believe that all the important data that I had was lost; I do not believe that any current data is lost and is stored and remains on the drive I previously identified as /home, but the data that remains is mostly configuration and a few photographs, documents containing a record of attempted and successful repairs, etc., but nothing I am concerned about any longer. Mostly I just want to get back a working computer that isn't continually breaking because of past failures. Oh, and banking records and receipts of purchases for warranted products and the like.

I don't have the knowledge to make theory, but I get the feeling that I have damaged the kernel many times. When it is updated, I do not know if that fixes any damage I may have caused, but if it is constantly patching my errors. It is probably too modified to be used with any degree of stability. If this idea of mine has any credence, how do I remove or format the kernel for replacement by a kernel that has not been damaged by my lack of computer skill and knowledge? I may just be too stupid to operate a computer, but I don't have the willingness to give up.

'3rd. you have to be able to install from the live session on the existing partitions.' That is what I am attempting to do. I have a 128GB SSD that is dedicated completely to the installation of Kubuntu 13.10. Normally, when I install a more current version of Kubuntu, I install the liveUSB. I select manual for choosing my partitioning, and change existing partitions so that they have the ext4 file system, then type in the mount point. I do not format any partition except the one that will contain the new Operating System. That is why I thought my historical data may still be in my computer; I have never formatted any existing partition excepting the boot partition that contains the operating system, and I have never installed an operating system on the same partition that I store data.

I can't even tell you how many installations have been made since I made the mistake that I just noticed. One of my terabyte drives was given a wrong file system. It was made NTFS instead of EXT4. It is hard for me to believe that just changing the file system could delete that much data. I believe it was the partition that contained all previous /home files and data. When I noticed my improperly entered file system, I also noticed that no data, used or unused was indicated. I suspect all that data (all important data from my past) was lost, including all backup data. I have no knowledge or explanation for why or how this happened, it is just the only explanation I can come up with.

As a result, I have been looking at, but not seeing, a problem that has kept me in a constant state of repair of the computer for about a year. No matter how many fixes are made, new problems arrive. I suspect that if my computer were a living being, it would say, "you have been driving me nuts". And if that is the case, I want to stop doing that. Not knowing if it is even possible, and what the kernel actually does and is responsible for doing, I believe my kernel is so screwed up that the morgue is where it's home should be, and I should install a virgin kernel that has not yet been compromised. This is probably foolish talk, but what ever the software is that boots my computer, it doesn't work. And I can't seem to get a live anything to open or install.

I am pretty sure it is not the hardware, because I am able to open the other bootable operating system "Windows 7", so, with my limited understanding of how my computer works, I believe that I unknowingly, without malice of forethought, screwed things up so badly that the mortician is the only one who can help me by surgically repairing the damage. Maybe fine-artists should not be allowed to touch computers.

Nonetheless, I will not give up. You guys have extended an immeasurable amount of help and patience to someone who is perhaps not worthy, however as an artist I was perhaps worthy as well as passionate, and although equally impassioned with computers, not so worthy. I think I may change my username to 'FrustratedToTheMAX'. I need an exhaustion emotion here.

Comment

Your very best bet at this point is to start fresh. I believe you've partitioned your hard drive so it has a separate /home partition, correct? If so, here's what I'd do:

1) Download the version of Kubuntu you want. Don't try using the corrupt one again, the one I mentioned earlier. Just start over with a fresh download.
                2) Attempt to install. IF THIS FAILS again, let us know exactly what happens.
                3) If the installation proceeds, make sure that you format your / partition and do NOT format your /home partition.
                4) Let us know how it goes.

If the above works, your data on your /home partition will be sitting there waiting for you, all safe and sound. *IF* this still yields a non-booting system, let us know.

Comment

YAHOOoooooooooooooo.
                  I am so ashamed allowing myself to get so down. That changed today. Things just started working well. I made a fresh liveUSB of Kubuntu 13.10, installed it on my computer, and things are crackling. Everything explodes into view again. It is glorious. Internet connection works great. I haven't found anything that doesn't work perfectly. I have no idea if changing the file system name on the ntfs TB drive had anything to do with this, but if so, wow. I apologize for bellyaching; I have no excuse; perhaps the two electrons that make up my brain just had a brain-toot, only the shadow knows. I have been a pain in the NICTA and am very sorry for that. You faithful and patient guys kept me together long enough to see daylight again. I just love computing again. Thanks! and Cudos to all who helped.
                  Your very best bet at this point is to start fresh. I believe you've partitioned your hard drive so it has a separate /home partition, correct? If so, here's what I'd do:

1) Download the version of Kubuntu you want. Don't try using the corrupt one again, the one I mentioned earlier. Just start over with a fresh download.
                  2) Attempt to install. IF THIS FAILS again, let us know exactly what happens.
                  3) If the installation proceeds, make sure that you format your / partition and do NOT format your /home partition.
                  4) Let us know how it goes.

If the above works, your data on your /home partition will be sitting there waiting for you, all safe and sound. *IF* this still yields a non-booting system, let us know.

Comment

This is fantastic news! Yay!

Comment

Absolutely great news!
                      You can be proud of yourself for not giving up.

To be honest, judging by the multitude of problems you had it was the best move anyway.
                      Ahhh, hindsight is such a good teacher

Enjoy the New and Shiny.

Comment

Working...
                      X