This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple Desktops, Lower Panel, and Organisation

When I am using multiple desktops and minimise applications they (the applications) all line up on the single lower panel.
    When using the desktops I get very confused regarding which application goes with which desktop.

Can someone advise regarding organisation.

Thanks
    kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

Hi

if you right mouse click on an application already running and in the panel you should see "Task Manager Settings" in there you will see some Filters - choose the set-up which suits you
    Last edited by zebedeeboss; Aug 24, 2014, 07:12 AM.
    To understand true frustration, one must only go so far as to install Linux!!! and then came Kubuntu and the World is at peace again

Comment

Then under Filters check Only show from the current desktop. If you don't want to see non-minimized applications (apps that you have running), check Only show tasks that are minimized as well.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes, I found those boxes while looking for a solution (I found clicking on the lower pane a good method of accessing the Task Manager). I am confused regarding 'Minimised', but I should understand after experimentation.

Couple of other points.

If I want to swap around the desktops, say make 1, 2, and 2 1 (examples only) is there an easy way. I tried moving them in the lower panel with the mouse, but they will not move.

In addition, does having a number of desktops have significance for RAM usage, compared with doing all work in one desktop.

So far, System Monitor has not shown much difference, but I have not really established the desktops as yet.
        Last edited by anonprivate; Aug 24, 2014, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Hi
          Interesting thread!
          As far as I know one cannot just "rearrange" the desktops because I "think" that, unless there is a programming line someplace which takes a different "for next" then ....really..... the desktops are the panels of a "cube" that are just not shown as a "cube" and that "possibly" also goes for "tasks", it is possible, that "tasks" are really "sides of a cube / desktops".. don't know.... and if someone way smarter than the old woodsmoker would care to address that it would be interesting reading.

Ok so given that, then it is probable that the "sides of the cube" are fixed and one must "rename" the cube face/desktop, if, unfortunately one has invested a lot of time in locking certain widgets to a certain face of the cube then one would need to keep track of what one wants on a certain desktop/face and unlock the widgets, after renaming the desktop/face/task unlink the widgets from one face relink them on the desired face and then lock the widgets.

Again, this is what..........I ............personally............do every time that I add some kind of new task.

So, my examples are, I use tasks....and one task is writing, one is desktop one is Amarok and one is Gallligra Office Templates., in the lower panel they are in a certain order and I can't drag them or anything even unloicked. so, I renamed them alphabetically left to right and unlocked widgets, changed which widgets are on each task, and relocked them. Since I use Calligra templates a lot this last month or so, it is not on the first left.

Dunno....just what I do, and could have done it with desktops also.

if one uses the cube, then that would be of advantage, to reset everything and then done.

One could also add a certain number of faces to the cube that are "blank" and go to settings and the switcher, and from slide to something else,

one can also have them vertically stacked in addition to horizontally..........

, or a certain keystroke combo.

As to RAM useage, yes I would imagine that there is some small overhead but considering all the overhead, like I have Amarok playing now, it is "possibly" rather minimal.

So, dunno, just some comments.

woodsmoke

Comment

Hi,

I have not activated the cube, may/may not.

I have a few desktops that I can re-order the long way around. I was just wondering if there might be a quick way to simple make, say, desktop1 desktop2; or desktop 4 say desktop 3.

In time, i would like to achieve a logical order that keeps topics that have something in common adjacent, This is just me.

Best wishes.

Ps. It takes time to get things right.

Comment

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
              Hi,

I have not activated the cube, may/may not.
              Why wouldn't you? It's so pretty.

I have a few desktops that I can re-order the long way around. I was just wondering if there might be a quick way to simple make, say, desktop1 desktop2; or desktop 4 say desktop 3.
              Since this is *nix, there has to be a text file somewhere, probably in $HOME, containing this info. Just for the hell of it I started looking in my $HOME and found a few files in ~/.kde/share/config that contain references to desktop. You might want to poke around in your ~/.kde directory and see what you can find. Be sure to save copies of anything you're going to alter!

ETA: Look at ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc
              Last edited by DoYouKubuntu; Aug 24, 2014, 03:35 PM.
              Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

The default Global Shortcut Keys for accessing the four virtual desktops are:

Desktop 1 Ctrl+F1
                Desktop 2 Ctrl+F2
                Desktop 3 Ctrl+F3
                Desktop 4 Ctrl+F3

For what you want, just change the Ctrl+F key you want for each desktop.

Right-click on any of the pager (Desktop) icons on the Panel and select Pager Settings then Virtual Desktops and click on the Settings tab. Under Shortcuts, scroll to the entry you want to configure and click the entry (or empty space -- un-configured) area under Global. This opens the entry for changing. If a shortcut key is already set, click on the button to the right of the entry. You can then change the shortcut "as long as the new combination isn't reported as being in conflict with an already set shortcut".
                Click image for larger version

Name:	PagerShortcutKeys.png
Views:	1
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	642404
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
                  Why wouldn't you? It's so pretty.

At present, I am using the same solid colour on all desktops.

Comment

Working...
                  X