This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktops

I have been reading regarding desktops and some people who mention them talk of having a number of them, but do indicate the reasons for having more that one.

Out of interest, why could it be beneficial to have more than one desktop?

Thanks
    kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

Commonly people use virtual desktops to arrange their tasks (if they have a lot of applications open), although some people may prefer "Activities" these days.

One could, for example have a browser maximized on one desktop, a mail application on another and several documents that they are currently working on yet another. You could then switch between these tasks by hopping on the right desktop to quickly get to the apps you want (usually much quicker than activating the right apps individually if you have a lot of them open), as there are many ways to switch between desktops (like mouse-clicking on pager, mouse gestures, keyboard shortcuts etc.). You can also set the task manager widget to only show apps on the current desktop, which can reduce visual clutter in the task manager (again, if you have a lot of applications open).

Comment

Thank you
      Last edited by Snowhog; Aug 23, 2014, 03:17 PM.

Comment

OR ,,,,,,,,,just to do freaky stuff like this to make your friends think your a super geek ...........LOL

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I've seen a few of theses cubes. What widget did you use
          Last edited by Snowhog; Aug 23, 2014, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
            I've seen a few of theses cubes. What widget did you use
            it's not a widget.
            it's one of kwin's effects ,,,,,,,, kickoff>system settings>desktop effects>all effects tab,,,,,,,,near the bottom of the list of effects in the window management section.

you can set the wallpapper behind the cube in the settings dialog for the effect ,,,,,but the cube caps nead a bit of a hack.

the location of the default cubecap.png file is
            /usr/share/kde4/apps/kwin/cubecap.png
            ,,,,,, one must replace it with your "cubecap.png" and run (in a terminal)
            Code:
            kbuildsycoca4
            then the next time you activate the cube it will have your image on the cube caps

VINNY
            16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
              it's not a widget.
              it's one of kwin's effects ,,,,,,,, kickoff>system settings>desktop effects>all effects tab,,,,,,,,near the bottom of the list of effects in the window management section.

you can set the wallpapper behind the cube in the settings dialog for the effect ,,,,,but the cube caps nead a bit of a hack.

the location of the default cubecap.png file is,,,,,, one must replace it with your "cubecap.png" and run (in a terminal)
              Code:
              kbuildsycoca4
              then the next time you activate the cube it will have your image on the cube caps

VINNY
              Should the cube effect be noticeable immediatly the Apply button is activated?

Comment

I have been reading regarding desktops and some people who mention them talk of having a number of them, but do indicate the reasons for having more that one.

Out of interest, why could it be beneficial to have more than one desktop?
                Speaking as a person with almost 30 years of *nix under their belt, I've never known anything BUT having multiple desktops. Even back when everything in UNIX was text-based, we had multiple consoles. The first time I had the displeasure of using a DOS box, and then windows, I couldn't BELIEVE there was only one desktop...PERIOD. Amazing.

Anyway, multiple desktops are great for organizing tasks, like the GIMP on one desktop, SeaMonkey on another, and so on, but, frankly, these days I don't really bother with that too much. I always set my number of desktops at nine--because I like how that looks on my desktop cube:

Last edited by DoYouKubuntu; Aug 23, 2014, 10:35 PM.
                Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Should the cube effect be noticeable immediatly the Apply button is activated?
                  Yes--and no. You have to DO SOMETHING to make the cube appear. For example, I always set my 'screen edges' so that moving my pointer up to the middle, top part of the screen activates the cube. You can also activate it by using certain key combos. For screen edges:

Settings | System Settings | Workspace Behavior | Screen Edges
                  Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
                    Yes--and no. You have to DO SOMETHING to make the cube appear. For example, I always set my 'screen edges' so that moving my pointer up to the middle, top part of the screen activates the cube. You can also activate it by using certain key combos. For screen edges:

Settings | System Settings | Workspace Behavior | Screen Edges
                    Thank you

What are cubecaps?

Comment

Thank you

What are cubecaps?
                      the top and bottom of the cube,pentagon,octagon,whatever,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,like you can see in my screen shot.
                      by default you get this
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	defaultcubecap.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	642403

VINNY
                      16GB RAM

Comment

Working...