Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unable to Log Off, Restart, or Shutdown?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to Log Off, Restart, or Shutdown?

I tried to reopen the post relating to this issue. It worked for a short time then stopped again. Below is an image of my Login Screen (LightDM):

Click image for larger version

Name:	LoginScreenLtDM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	648711

When I attempt to Log Off, or Restart, or Shutdown my system, the options to do so appear in the Kmenu , however when I select what I want, nothing happens. The only way I am able to shutdown that I am aware is to enter sudo shutdown now -h on the command line of a terminal. Any help will be appreciated.

Name:	AutostartOption.jpg
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	648712

Name:	ServiceManager.jpg
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	648713

Name:	SessionManagement.jpg
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	648714

Just to check, could you replace the present kick off menu with the Classic one and see if that makes a difference?
    (Unlock Widgets, right click the K and select Classic)

Comment

A REALLY good way to quickly determine just how much of a problem you actually have is to log in as a different user. I've suggested this before, but I don't think you did it.

If you don't already have another user set up, create one--WITHOUT copying anything from your account--and then log out from your normal account and log back in using the other user's account. Does the problem still exist? If NOT, then there's something in your configuration screwing things up. If it DOES exist, then we have more to go on because that means it's a system-wide issue.
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

A very good point DoYouKubuntu!

A somewhat similar test is to rename ~/.kde to say, ~/.kde.old.
        Automagically a new one will be created with default values and logging out and in again will show if this helps.

If not and if too many good settings have been lost it's quite easy to reinstate the old .kde.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
          Thanks.

Automagically a new one will be created with default values and logging out and in again will show if this helps.
          I prefer the 'other user' method because it's much more black and white. There are MANY settings per user, not just in .kde, so doing an absolutely clean test is a quick and dirty way to pinpoint certain problems.

If not and if too many good settings have been lost it's quite easy to reinstate the old .kde.
          You just reminded me of the problem I had with my mom...I don't know if you recall, but she could do things with her desktop I'd never even seen before. We all put our heads together and came up with a brilliant, and simple, solution.
          Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

I tried Classic and it did not change. Still unable to Log Off, Restart, or Shut Down. Thanks for the effort.

Just to check, could you replace the present kick off menu with the Classic one and see if that makes a difference?
            (Unlock Widgets, right click the K and select Classic)

Comment

Tried that before the post. Nothing changed.

Comment

I have never had occasion to need to include another user. I am alone. How do I do this?

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
                A REALLY good way to quickly determine just how much of a problem you actually have is to log in as a different user. I've suggested this before, but I don't think you did it.

If you don't already have another user set up, create one--WITHOUT copying anything from your account--and then log out from your normal account and log back in using the other user's account. Does the problem still exist? If NOT, then there's something in your configuration screwing things up. If it DOES exist, then we have more to go on because that means it's a system-wide issue.

Comment

while trying to fix my computer, the problems continue to increase and existing ones don't seem to respond to repair. I am currently upgrading to kubuntu 14.10 in an attempt to repair some or all of them. Thanks for you help.

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
                    I have never had occasion to need to include another user. I am alone. How do I do this?
                    Settings | System Settings | User Manager | New User

Fill in the fields, 'apply' your changes, then log out and log back in with the new account.

This really is an EXCELLENT way to narrow down where problems like you've been having lie. It's pretty cut and dry: if the problem doesn't exist when you're logged in with a different, brand new, clean account, it's a sure bet that something in your account is the source of the problem. If you find that the new account is free of the problems, let us know and we'll talk you through transferring files--non-offending files--from your old account to the new one, and then we can change your username on the new account to your original name if you'd like.

Comment

It should be illegal to be this happy. Re-installation was the cure for almost all the problems I have been facing. With your patience and support, I am on the other side of the mountain. Thanx!

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
                      Settings | System Settings | User Manager | New User

Fill in the fields, 'apply' your changes, then log out and log back in with the new account.

This really is an EXCELLENT way to narrow down where problems like you've been having lie. It's pretty cut and dry: if the problem doesn't exist when you're logged in with a different, brand new, clean account, it's a sure bet that something in your account is the source of the problem. If you find that the new account is free of the problems, let us know and we'll talk you through transferring files--non-offending files--from your old account to the new one, and then we can change your username on the new account to your original name if you'd like.

Comment

Working...
                      X