X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panel

A few questions regarding Panels.

Am I correct in thinking that 'New Activity' is meant for people who need different desktops for different purposes.

I have noticed that Panels are fixed to the sides. Can they be placed at other locations, and of any sizes. In addition, can their colours be changed.

I would like to place some panels on my desktop and copy some icons to these panels in order to create a more interesting desktop.
    kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

KDE UserBase Activities: https://userbase.kde.org/Plasma#Activities

KDE UserBase Panels: https://userbase.kde.org/Plasma/Panels

AskUbuntu - How to change color/transparency of all desktop panels?: http://askubuntu.com/questions/70694...desktop-panels

Kubuntu Forums - How to set the colour of the task bar?: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...k-bar&p=356135
    A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
    Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

I can't advise regarding "New Activity"; I have never taken the time to see its value. Panel colors are determined by Kmenu>System Settings>Common Appearance and Behavior>Workspace Appearance>Desktop Theme. The options are very extensive, however, the choice of theme will determine the color and transparency of your panel, however many you have and wherever you place them. They can be placed on any or all of the 4 sides of your Desktop.

Personally, I don't like a lot of application Icons on my Desktop. I use only one panel and place it on the top of the Desktop. That way when you open the Kmenu, which reveals all of your applications, the items you open drop down rather than, I suppose drop up like on a normal Windows OS. I have dual monitors with a default panel on the top of each screen. I have three Kmenu Icons on each screen, 1 on the left, 1 in the center, and 1 on the right. I made it this way so my cursor would be close to the Kmenu whenever I need to apply a new application. I also hide the panel when not in use. The only thing that remains on my Desktop are some widgets that provide instant information on things that matter to me, in real time. I have an analog clock, which can be adjusted to fill the entire screen, if I want the clock to take the place of a regular home or office clock when I am not using my computer for work or pleasure. I do not make it large because I am always working and prefer the other widgets viewable, but with 2 monitors, one is usually with a clean Desktop, so I have access to time at a glance.

I have a weather monitor which forecasts as well as shows the current weather conditions. I have a monitor of the space usage of my hard drives. Whenever a flash drive is installed its space availability is shown as well. I have network monitor so from moment to moment on a download I can view the speed of both upload and downloads. I use this all the time, because it indicates how long I might have to wait for a download or upload to complete. And on one screen I also have a digital count-down widget. I use it for timing certain things I do. That one may not be of value to you.

If you like color, you can change the Icons for almost every application; there is a large selection available, and I understand some users have designed and made their own. If, in the past, you are used to using the Windows Operating System, you will find that Kubuntu is much more highly configurable. You can change just about everything you want to change easily, including the size of each element of a screen. I like a clean desktop when I work, but I am an artist and like things aesthetically pleasing as well. My widgets are on an invisible background, so only relevant data appears on screen. But when the panel drops down as I put my cursor on the top of the Desktop, the various icons are somewhat more artistic and attractive, at least in my opinion. I am attaching a screen print so you can see my opinion of an attractive Desktop. There is also a multitude of color combinations that are available to make the appearance of your open documents and applications attractive to your eye. You can not only easily change the size and shape of your cursor, you can select various colors. Because of the colors I have chosen, blue is the best color for my cursor. Appearance is an important feature of Kubuntu to me, so if you want help to get used to how to modify these things, make a request in your reply. My Desktop is as follows:

Click image for larger version

Name:	My current Desktop.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	642397

I hope this interests you, as well as, is useful information for you.

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
      A few questions regarding Panels.

Am I correct in thinking that 'New Activity' is meant for people who need different desktops for different purposes.

I have noticed that Panels are fixed to the sides. Can they be placed at other locations, and of any sizes. In addition, can their colours be changed.

I would like to place some panels on my desktop and copy some icons to these panels in order to create a more interesting desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
        I can't advise regarding "New Activity"; I have never taken the time to see its value. Panel colors are determined by Kmenu>System Settings>Common Appearance and Behavior>Workspace Appearance>Desktop Theme. The options are very extensive, however, the choice of theme will determine the color and transparency of your panel, however many you have and wherever you place them. They can be placed on any or all of the 4 sides of your Desktop.

Personally, I don't like a lot of application Icons on my Desktop. I use only one panel and place it on the top of the Desktop. That way when you open the Kmenu, which reveals all of your applications, the items you open drop down rather than, I suppose drop up like on a normal Windows OS. I have dual monitors with a default panel on the top of each screen. I have three Kmenu Icons on each screen, 1 on the left, 1 in the center, and 1 on the right. I made it this way so my cursor would be close to the Kmenu whenever I need to apply a new application. I also hide the panel when not in use. The only thing that remains on my Desktop are some widgets that provide instant information on things that matter to me, in real time. I have an analog clock, which can be adjusted to fill the entire screen, if I want the clock to take the place of a regular home or office clock when I am not using my computer for work or pleasure. I do not make it large because I am always working and prefer the other widgets viewable, but with 2 monitors, one is usually with a clean Desktop, so I have access to time at a glance.

I have a weather monitor which forecasts as well as shows the current weather conditions. I have a monitor of the space usage of my hard drives. Whenever a flash drive is installed its space availability is shown as well. I have network monitor so from moment to moment on a download I can view the speed of both upload and downloads. I use this all the time, because it indicates how long I might have to wait for a download or upload to complete. And on one screen I also have a digital count-down widget. I use it for timing certain things I do. That one may not be of value to you.

If you like color, you can change the Icons for almost every application; there is a large selection available, and I understand some users have designed and made their own. If, in the past, you are used to using the Windows Operating System, you will find that Kubuntu is much more highly configurable. You can change just about everything you want to change easily, including the size of each element of a screen. I like a clean desktop when I work, but I am an artist and like things aesthetically pleasing as well. My widgets are on an invisible background, so only relevant data appears on screen. But when the panel drops down as I put my cursor on the top of the Desktop, the various icons are somewhat more artistic and attractive, at least in my opinion. I am attaching a screen print so you can see my opinion of an attractive Desktop. There is also a multitude of color combinations that are available to make the appearance of your open documents and applications attractive to your eye. You can not only easily change the size and shape of your cursor, you can select various colors. Because of the colors I have chosen, blue is the best color for my cursor. Appearance is an important feature of Kubuntu to me, so if you want help to get used to how to modify these things, make a request in your reply. My Desktop is as follows:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5184[/ATTACH]

I hope this interests you, as well as, is useful information for you.

A very attractive desktop.

At this stage, I can't ask questions (I don't know enough), other than to say that your clock is far superior, in my opinion, to the Kubuntu clocks that I have seen. Is it in Muon.

How did you create the desktop - only an outline.

Did you make it as a graphics file and then used it as the background

Am I right in thinking that this is not a theme, but a background.

Best wishes.
        Last edited by anonprivate; Aug 19, 2014, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rog132 View Post
          KDE UserBase Activities: https://userbase.kde.org/Plasma#Activities

KDE UserBase Panels: https://userbase.kde.org/Plasma/Panels

AskUbuntu - How to change color/transparency of all desktop panels?: http://askubuntu.com/questions/70694...desktop-panels

Kubuntu Forums - How to set the colour of the task bar?: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...k-bar&p=356135

Thank you for the links, they look useful.

Comment

What you see on Shabakthanai's desktop is a clever combination of a wallpaper, a fitting Theme and a couple of Plasma Widgets.

For theme's and wallpapers have a look here:
            http://kde-look.org/

Lots of examples by forum users can be seen here:
            https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...screenshots%29

Comment

First, right-click on your desktop an select unlock widgets. Then look to the right of your panel and click on the little gold acorn. Then look to the far right of your panel and see if another acorn appeared. Select "Screen Edge", you can move Icons on the panel to new locations. You can also select and drag your panel to either side of your screen or to the top or bottom. When moving Icons, move slightly past where you want it to be. If you see a semi-transparent box the size of an Icon appear, release the cursor and your Icon will remain there. Next select "Height"to the right of the "Screen Edge" Icon, it allows you to resize the panel and the Icons thereon. Place on the panel edge and drag to the size you want you panel and the Icons that are on it. Next, click on Add Widgets... and a panel of widgets will appear. The fourth item on the menu is an Analog Clock, select and drag that item to the desktop. When you release it, it will remain on your desktop. When you move the cursor close to the clock, on either side of it, part of the widget will open to give you options. Try each to learn what it does, then click the one that resizes the analog clock and make it the size you want. Next drag it to the location you want it to be.

If you want you can resize it to screen size and use it for a clock for the room you are in. After you have put the clock in the location you want, right-click on the desktop and select Lock Widgets. The clock will now remain where you want it.

Select the Start Menu (Kmenu) and choices will appear. Look in "Applications" for System and choose that. A list of applications will appear, look for and right-click on Systems Settings and choose Add to Favorites, because you will use this package a lot. It will immediately appear on your favorites menu, the first menu when you select Kmenu. Now from your Favorites Menu, Select "System Settings".

Once you are in the Systems Settings Window, choose Workspace Appearance and Behavior>and select Workspace Appearance. Locate and select Desktop Theme, then select Get New Themes in the lower right corner of the screen. It may take a moment for the menu to appear, depending on the speed of your computer, but when it opens, there is an "Enter Search Phrase" box on the right side of the window. Make the search area active and type in "Bare Naked". If it is in there, that is the one that I use. Sometimes it is there and sometimes it is not. With luck it will appear. If it appears, click on install. Wait until the word Uninstall appears then close that window.

You will now be back in the Desktop Theme window. Click on Bare Naked to activate it and select Apply at the bottom of the screen. Close System Settings and you should be looking at a clock like mine on your screen. I like it because it is the only one I have found that has a completely transparent background. It looks great on dark wallpaper.

I don't know where you are, but if you are in the States, and if you have a cell phone, you should be able to call without any expense. If you want and have the phone, and are in the USA, you may go to your profile on the Kubuntu Forums and chose to write a private message to me. I am retired with time on my hands, and am willing to help you with configuration, and to learn how to find and use things. Just let me know how you want to communicate. I haven't even activated my chat application, but I can and will if you prefer getting help using chat. Anyway, it makes it easier to learn, if you don't have to wait for instructions and answers.

If you are coming from a Windows OS, you are going to be inclined to use the Kmen that works much like the Windows Start Menu, but the other Kmen is faster and better and only takes a short time to get used to. I recommend it and will help you get acclimated. You are better off not trying to hang on to the old comfortable method you are used to. Most Kubuntu technology is faster and better and just takes a little while to get used to. Afterward, you will be glad you did not cling on the past.

Cudos!

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
              A very attractive desktop.

At this stage, I can't ask questions (I don't know enough), other than to say that your clock is far superior, in my opinion, to the Kubuntu clocks that I have seen. Is it in Muon.

How did you create the desktop - only an outline.

Did you make it as a graphics file and then used it as the background

Am I right in thinking that this is not a theme, but a background.

Best wishes.
              Last edited by Shabakthanai; Aug 19, 2014, 10:14 PM. Reason: I was trying to help while on a Windows computer and working from memory. When I got back to a Kubuntu OS, I fixed errors.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                What you see on Shabakthanai's desktop is a clever combination of a wallpaper, a fitting Theme and a couple of Plasma Widgets.

For theme's and wallpapers have a look here:
                http://kde-look.org/

Lots of examples by forum users can be seen here:
                https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...screenshots%29
                Thank you.

What is the difference between a desktop background and wallpaper?

They look like images which can be used as a background, then somehow a pane is introduced, but not at the edge and icons copied to the pane

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
                  First, right-click on your desktop an select unlock widgets. Then look to the right of your panel and click on the little gold acorn. Then look to the far right of your panel and see if another acorn appeared. Click on that and a settings panel will show. Notice in the middle an icon that looks like you can use it to move things. Selecting that and you can move Icons on the panel to new locations. You can also select and drag your panel to either side of your screen or to the top or bottom. When moving Icons, move slightly past where you want it to be. If you see a semi-transparent box the size of an Icon appear, release the cursor and your Icon will remain there. The Item to the right of the 'move' Icon allows you to resize the panel and the Icons thereon. Next, click on Add New Widgets and a panel of widgets will appear. One of the first items on the menu is an Analog Clock, select and drag that item to the desktop. When you release it, it will remain on your desktop. When you move the cursor close to the clock, on either side of it, part of the widget will open to give you options. Try each to learn what it does, then click the one that resized the analog clock and make it the size you want. Next drag it to the location you want it to be.

If you want you can resize it to screen size and use it for a clock for the room you are in. After you have put the clock in the location you want, right-click on the desktop and select Lock Widgets. The clock will now remain where you want it.

Select the Start Menu (Kmenu) and choices will appear. Look in All Applications for System and choose that. A list of applications will appear, look for and select Systems Settings (a right-click) choose Add to Favorites, because you will use this package a lot. It will immediately appear on your favorites menu, the first menu when you select Kmenu. Now from your Favorites Menu, click on Select "System Settings". (I am not working from Kubuntu right now, I am in a Windows application and am writing using memory without visuals. I am pretty sure I am identifying things accurately, however I may not be perfect. When I name something, if it isn't where I indicate, do some searching and try the find the package I am talking about.)

Once you are in the Systems Settings Window, the second item in the second row is the one you want to create the style of widgets that will appear onscreen. When you open that window, look to the bottom for Add More, or whatever it says. It is pretty self-explanitory and pretty easy to choose well. It may take a moment for the menu to appear, depending on the speed of your computer, but when it opens, there is a search bar on the right side of the window. Make the search area active and type in "Bare Naked". If it is in there, that is the one that I use. Sometimes it is there and sometimes it is not. With luck it will appear. If it appears, click on install. Wait until the word Uninstall appears then close that window.

When you look in System Settings it should be there as a choice. Click on it to activate it and select Apply at the bottom of the screen. Close System Settings and you should be looking at a clock like mine on your screen. I like it because it is the only one I have found that has a completely transparent background. It looks great on dark wallpaper.

I don't know where you are, but if you are in the States, and if you have a cell phone, you should be able to call without any expense. If you want and have the phone, and are in the USA, you may go to your profile on the Kubuntu Forums and chose to write a private message to me. I am retired with time on my hands, and am willing to help you with configuration, and to learn how to find and use things. Just let me know how you want to communicate. I haven't even activated my chat application, but I can and will if you prefer getting help using chat. Anyway, it makes it easier to learn, if you don't have to wait for instructions and answers.

If you are coming from a Windows OS, you are going to be inclined to use the Kmen that works much like the Windows Start Menu, but the other Kmen is faster and better and only takes a short time to get used to. I recommend it and will help you get acclimated. You are better off not trying to hang on to the old comfortable method you are used to. Most Kubuntu technology is faster and better and just takes a little while to get used to. Afterward, you will be glad you did not cling on the past.

When I get back on my Kubuntu OS, I will take a look at these instructions. Relying on my memory is not always wisest, but you can't hurt anything even if I am a little amiss. If I have to correct anything, I will edit the post then.

When we are using these applications we get used to their function and do not pay as close attention to the details. Not working from Kubuntu, I probably got things right, if not, I will correct things a little later. In any event, if you are wanting to get started and online right now, you can give it a try. If not, maybe I will have already edited out any errors, which is a little better, of course. I am just trying to get you a head start, so you don't have to wait. Cudos!

I can't see a gold acorn!

Comment

Panel

If it is not showing, put your cursor on the far right of the panel and click. If things change, you will know where the acorn should have been.

I have edited and corrected the post. It is a lot easier to follow now. If you posted a private message now, we could connect by phone or chat and do a little fun configuration. I am up for it.

Comment

You are correct, it is a background, found and downloaded from the Internet, called "water-flame", I believe; there are several available variations of that screen.

The desktop that you enjoy is found in the following manner. The clock and widgets are all from the same theme:

Kmenu>System>SystemSettings>Workspace Appearance and Behavior>Workspace>Desktop theme. There are hundreds of options to choose from. Next click on Get New Decorations in the lower-right corner of the screen. In a couple of seconds the screen will be filled with choices. And you can scroll forever practically. On the right you will see a Search: and Enter search phrase. Type in "Bare Naked" without the quotes and my theme appears. It is old and sometimes unavailable, so while it is there, keep a copy in a file.

I like it best of all I have seen, but your taste may be different from mine.

When I wrote previously, I mentioned using the new Kmenu; it is lightyears better and only takes a few days to get used to. Kubuntu is so much better than Windows, in a few weeks you will hate to use it again. In your profile, friend me and I will send you my private email address, then when you want to play with aesthetics or get familiar with the new Kmenu, we can communicate more directly without a wait between replies. If your cell gives unlimited free calls, we can talk while working.

You can even change the artwork on your Icons. Right-click on your Kmenu Icon and select "Edit Applications". When the window appears, click on the white K over blue background and additional Icon choices will appear. They are mostly alphabetical, so go to the K's an look for a multi-colored Kmenu. It is not nearly as attractive on the white background, but try it on Bare Naked over a darker background and it is just beautiful.

Dolphin is probably going to be your most used application, but the Icon is very boring. There is an application named Bluefish programmed for designing websites. It has an attractive Blue fish for an Icon. When you install Bluefish, it's Icon becomes a part of the library of Icons you just saw. It is a perfect Icon for Dolphin and not boring. Additionally it is distinctive enough to catch your eye instantly whenever you look for it. Once you have download Bluefish and now have its Icon in your Icon library do this:

Right-click on your Kmenu Icon on your default panel on your desktop; on the window that opens, select "System", the third item should be Dolphin, so select it, click on the Icon upper right and your Icons library will open. Look for the blue fish and click on it. When you restart your computer next time it will be installed.

If Dolphin is still on your favorites menu, the change will not take place there, so right-click on your Favorites Menu Dolphin and select Remove From Favorites. Then do this: Kmenu>System>SystemSettings>System> and look for the blue fish, it will identify File Manager Dolphin. Right-click on File Manager and select Add to Favorites. The Blue Fish Icon will now appear on all your Dolhin entries. Pretty slick, huh. Later, friend; I am using too many KB's of data.

Dolphin is kind of like (in Windows) C:\, D:\ E:\ etc. and some of Control Panel and much of a Windows start tree. When you get the hang of it, it is very fast and easy; you just have to change a few old habits and replace them with new ones. Couple of weeks tops.

Comment

Working...
                      X