• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ensuring updates

How can Eensure that Kubuntu ver 14 is set to check for updates
    kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

I am not positive, but I don't think you have to check them even. Updates and upgrades are included almost daily. Once PPA's and Keys are installed, updates will flow daily. You don't have to apply them every day, but it is wise to install security updates when they arrive. One thing you will like about Kubuntu is that all applications are updated when improvements in the applications are made. You do not have to purchase a new version of a program to keep on the cutting edge of its development. Since Linux applications do not charge for their programs, as they improve their program, they upload the improvements for our use. All applications are cutting edge.

This does not happen in Windows applications. Each manufacturer waits a period of time until they have enough improvements in their program to sell you their next version. By the time they have created enough improvements to make a worthy purchase, Linux applications are already there and have always been at the cutting edge of development daily. Even the fancy more expensive programs like Adobe Photoshop, which is still an expensive upgrade, has a highly competitive alternative that services Linux users, called Gimp. It does the same things, perhaps just in a slightly different way. Gimp also does some things that Photoshop doesn't do, I have heard. And Linux has a fully functional equivalent to Microsoft Office, with all the bells and whistles. In fact LibreOffice and OpenOffice are basically Linux applications made available to Windows users free to use as the user wills. Nonetheless those are two expensive programs that Linux provides competitive alternatives for free. By the way, most users donate to the developers from time to time as the balance of their pocket book determines. You may freely join the majority of Linux users.

Another advantage of your new operating system is that only changes that affect the core of your machine require restart to set them in your computer. I may not be totally accurate on this, but my experience has given that impression, because most updates and upgrades do not require a restart. In my opinion, you can forget about the need for virus protection, I don't use it or spyware or adware. On rare occasions some people will infect your system for a while, however Linux has built-in filters that make them unnecessary. Another benefit of Linux is the ext 2,3, and 4 file systems. They are unique because they keep your system in a defragged state all the time. As the number of version of the file system increases the speed and functionality increases.

A recapitulation of things that relate to your initial question is as follows: No defragging anymore. No need for virus protection anymore. No need to request updates or upgrades. No purchase of Operating Systems or programs. No purchasing new upgrades. No concern for Spyware or Adware. Rare need for reboot after installing updates. Highly configurable everything.

After you have used this and other forums a while, you will find that the gurus that help you are top notch, and freely help you at no cost. And after a few transitions back and forth between Linux and Windows, I believe you will rarely open your Windows Operating System anymore. Perhaps if you have a problem with your Linux system and need to fix something, you may use it for a backup. I do. But I have found that when that has happened, I just can't wait for my Linux system to be up and working again.

Hope this has been useful.

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
    How can Eensure that Kubuntu ver 14 is set to check for updates

Comment

In Muon, add "Sources" to the toolbar. Go into "Sources", click on " Configure Software Sources", then click on the "Updates" tab and set it the way you want it.
      Last edited by GerardV; Aug 19, 2014, 05:43 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

Thank you for the detailed response.

One point that you made ' Once PPA's and Keys are installed, updates will flow daily. You don't have to apply them every day, but it is wise to install security updates when they arrive.'

Do I need to install PPA's and Keys (don't know what they are). How would I know that updates have been applied - are there messages.

Comment

Originally posted by GerardV View Post
          In Muon, add "Sources" to the toolbar. Go into "Sources", click on " Configure Software Sources", then click on the "Updates" tab and set it the way you want it.
          I can't see 'Sources', but I can see a check for updates button

Comment

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
            I can't see 'Sources', but I can see a check for updates button
            the system should be configured to notify you of updates by default.
            their will be an icon in the system tray next to cliper put the curser on it and it will display the notification for a few seconds

or as most of us OG's (thats old geeks not original gangsters) do ,,,,open a terminal and and type in (or copy and paste)
            Code:
            sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
            and hit enter.
            the update part will update the package cache (the list of whats available) the dist-upgrade part dose the actual upgrading.

you can (and some do)substitute upgrade for dist-upgrade ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,hear is the difference from man apt-get (allmost all programs have a man (manual)page.

just type in the console "man program name" and hit enter ,,,,,so for this output I typed "man apt-get" without the quotes .

Code:
            DESCRIPTION
                   apt-get is the command-line tool for handling packages, and may be considered the user's
                   "back-end" to other tools using the APT library. Several "front-end" interfaces exist, such as
                   aptitude(8), synaptic(8) and wajig(1).

Unless the -h, or --help option is given, one of the commands below must be present.

update
                       update is used to resynchronize the package index files from their sources. The indexes of
                       available packages are fetched from the location(s) specified in /etc/apt/sources.list. For
                       example, when using a Debian archive, this command retrieves and scans the Packages.gz files,
                       so that information about new and updated packages is available. An update should always be
                       performed before an upgrade or dist-upgrade. Please be aware that the overall progress meter
                       will be incorrect as the size of the package files cannot be known in advance.

upgrade
                       upgrade is used to install the newest versions of all packages currently installed on the
                       system from the sources enumerated in /etc/apt/sources.list. Packages currently installed with
                       new versions available are retrieved and upgraded; under no circumstances are currently
                       installed packages removed, or packages not already installed retrieved and installed. New
                       versions of currently installed packages that cannot be upgraded without changing the install
                       status of another package will be left at their current version. An update must be performed
                       first so that apt-get knows that new versions of packages are available.

dist-upgrade
                       dist-upgrade in addition to performing the function of upgrade, also intelligently handles
                       changing dependencies with new versions of packages; apt-get has a "smart" conflict resolution
                       system, and it will attempt to upgrade the most important packages at the expense of less
                       important ones if necessary. The dist-upgrade command may therefore remove some packages. The
                       /etc/apt/sources.list file contains a list of locations from which to retrieve desired package
                       files. See also apt_preferences(5) for a mechanism for overriding the general settings for
                       individual packages.
            VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

In Muon Settings, under Sources/ Other Programs it is possible to add PPA's for additional software.
              This is a good explanation about them:
              http://askubuntu.com/questions/4983/...-do-i-use-them

Many trustworthy companies and organisations have set them up to make their software available for Ubuntu and thus Kubuntu.
              But there is the remote chance someone would put infected malware on a PPA so some caution is advised.
              If you are unsure about the reputation or implications use Google to learn more about a certain PPA.

To be fully up to date from trusted Ubuntu sources you can enable the Backports or even all updates.

Personally I only allow daily automatic checking for updates but decide myself if I really want a particular update.

Comment

Working...
              X