Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was AntiVirus; Now something Completely Different!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
    Well, aren't you a fount of unusual knowledge
    Doesn't it just make you want to be a Civil Engineer? Lol
    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
      Doesn't it just make you want to be a Civil Engineer? Lol
      Well, think of the amazing and interesting conventions you folks must have...

Please Read Me

Comment

How on earth did we get from anti-virus to icy roads. I have seen some forks here, but this has to be the most unusual one!
        sigpic

Comment

When I started this thread I assumed that all posts would relate to Anti-Virus

I am amazed at the diversion.
          kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

Comment

Jeez, here I thought it was about
            https://www.census.gov/svsd/www/vius/2002.html
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
              When I started this thread I assumed that all posts would relate to Anti-Virus

I am amazed at the diversion.
              LOL,,,,,,,,,,,,, new hear are ya .

I would say 70-80% of all threads around hear digress to TOT. {Totally Off Topic}

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

It is a double-edged sword. It's what makes our Forum very different from almost every other Linux Forum (and that most of our members enjoy about it). On the other hand, sometimes threads evolve (or devolve, depending on your position), into something completely different.
                Last edited by Snowhog; Aug 30, 2014, 09:06 PM.
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                  It is a double-edged sword. It's what makes our Forum very different from almost every other Linux Forum (and that most of our members enjoy about it). On the other hand, sometimes threads evolve (or devolve, depending on your position), into something completely different.
                  The main reason i am still around.
                  sigpic

Comment

Lol... sorry about that! To be fair, we don't normally go "TOT" until the original question has been answered!

Through lurking on this forum I've learned about as much from the off topic stuff as I have from the original subject... perhaps this one is a bit far though! I doubt many (any) of you need to know about concrete, although I hope you'll agree the thought of Steve using "spalling" to describe a friend's sunburn makes it worthwhile!
                    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Feathers, after getting my doctorate in Ops Research (1977) and starting as an assistant prof (in a business school), I actually did want to know about concrete! I went over to Civil Engineering (at the U.) and took two classes: surveying (use of a scope, maps, fill, etc.) and concrete (the science + lab work).
                      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

...and now, for Something Completely Different..

Last edited by oshunluvr; Aug 31, 2014, 09:11 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                          Feathers, after getting my doctorate in Ops Research (1977) and starting as an assistant prof (in a business school), I actually did want to know about concrete! I went over to Civil Engineering (at the U.) and took two classes: surveying (use of a scope, maps, fill, etc.) and concrete (the science + lab work).
                          What's your favourite cement type? Lol
                          samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Last edited by verndog; Aug 31, 2014, 10:17 PM.
                            Boot Info Script

Comment

During my 18 years in the classroom, one of them as an acting principal until they could find a qualified one, I observed one pattern that distinguished good teacher from poor ones. The good ones had few rules and kept their classes fully engaged. The poor ones had lots of rules and wasted a LOT of classroom time "enforcing" them. They also usually has the least command of the subject matter they were trying to teach.

Forums can have lots of rules, and lots of admins who love to throw their weight around enforcing them. I won't stay on a forum like that. It's the free exchange, regardless of view point, that keeps me here, besides the number of people on this forum who have a phenomenal knowledge of Linux and kindly offer their help without belittlement or ridicule. If that means that a topic drifts, so be it. I've found as much good info from a TOT thread as one that focused like a laser. The search bar helps me find nuggets of gold amid the driftwood.
                              Last edited by GreyGeek; Aug 31, 2014, 09:36 PM.
                              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                                During my 18 years in the classroom, one of them as an acting principal until they could find a qualified one, I observed on pattern that distinguished good teacher from poor ones. The good ones had few rules and kept their classes fully engaged. The poor ones had lots of rules and wasted a LOT of classroom time "enforcing" them. They also usually has the least command of the subject matter they were trying to teach.

Forums can have lots of rules, and lots of admins who love to throw their weight around enforcing them. I won't stay on a forum like that. It's the free exchange, regardless of view point, that keeps me here, besides the number of people on this forum who have a phenomenal knowledge of Linux and kindly offer their help without belittlement or ridicule. If that means that a topic drifts, so be it. I've found as much good info from a TOT thread as one that focused like a laser. The search bar helps me find nuggets of gold amid the driftwood.
                                ^^ This.
                                Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Working...
                                X