This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing hard drives

I used to use Disk Utility in Ubuntu for testing my hard drive.

In Kubuntu, via Muon, I see testdisk.dbg, and gnome-disk-utility.

Whic comes closest to Disk Utility?

Thanks
    kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

Gnome-disk-utility (palimpsest) is Disk Utility (same as in Ubuntu).
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Hi Rod J, kind regards.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
        Gnome-disk-utility (palimpsest) is Disk Utility (same as in Ubuntu).
        Thank you. I found the package in Muon, but I did not see the reference to Palimpsest.

I have scheduled it for installation. I assume that it will install at logout. First time I have tried this action.

Best wishes.

Ps. I see that I have not installed the package. I used Help to see if I could locate the information, but to my surprise the help pages for Muon are missing. Can you advise regarding installation.

Can I install the missing help pages. In addition. In the lower pane, 'System Notification Helper tells me 'Language Support is incomplete, additional packages are required'!
        Last edited by anonprivate; Aug 19, 2014, 11:40 AM.

Comment

as far as I know you can not schedule an installation in muon,,,,,,,,after marking a package or several for installation you must then click "apply changes" (upper left) to actually install the packages.

help pages are ending in doc so the help pages for Amarok would be amarok-doc ,,,,,their is non for Muon

the
          "'System Notification Helper tells me 'Language Support is incomplete, additional packages are required'!
          leves an icon in the system tray dose it not? click it ,,,and it will install what it thinks is missing.

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Contrary to Windows Linux rarely requires a reboot after installing software, typically once you install it you can immediately use it.
            Of course there are a few exceptions

There are three versions of Muon, Muon Discovery is the prettiest and with most helpful dialogues, Muon Package manager is by far the most powerful.

But no program is infallible and when you run into issues with one of the Muon applications you might have to resort to using the Konsole or Command Line Interface (CLI).
            As this gives more feedback on problems it's sometimes the resort to get things 'Fixed'.

An example, for your daily or whatever update you would issue the following command:
            Code:
            sudo apt-get update
            Next you're asked for your password (sudo) and the apt-get program will check if there are updates.

Once this check is done you issue a second command:
            Code:
            sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
            This will do the actual downloading of new packages and next install them.

The sudo command will temporarily elevate you to Super User and therefore ask for your password. (comparable to Administrator in Windows speak).
            Once issued this command will stay valid for a few minutes and often you don't need to retype your password for the next command.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
              as far as I know you can not schedule an installation in muon,,,,,,,,after marking a package or several for installation you must then click "apply changes" (upper left) to actually install the packages.

help pages are ending in doc so the help pages for Amarok would be amarok-doc ,,,,,their is non for Muon

the leves an icon in the system tray dose it not? click it ,,,and it will install what it thinks is missing.

VINNY

Hi,

I managed to work out how to install - what you said is correct.

Regarding the help pages are you saying there is none for Muon in Package Manager. This is my experience - seems very odd.

The icon in the system tray did click and a package has been installed. It did not give (or I did not see) any detail. It just completed.

Best wishes.

Ps. Learning slowly

Comment

Working...
              X