Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K14.04 is the version that is giving me the trouble. I did not think 14.10 could be worse and expected some of the problems to be corrected already.

During the installation I had problems. I was stopped midterm with warnings that I would have packages to fix after the install was complete. When I restarted, I lost connection with the Internet. Instead of having the funny apple-like panels on the right border of one screen, I now have one on the right border of both screens. Nonetheless, the battery monitor menu seems to have gone, and system log off, restart, and shutdown are working again. Video drivers are set and 1000? x 700? which makes the on screen images too large for my 1920 x 1080 monitors, and the system refuses the two other video driver options, perhaps because they have to be downloaded and I don't have Net connection, I don't know. Start up procedures take forever, so with my smoking machine that used to burst from item to item, I have to wait about as long for a boot to finish as I did with my 25mhz starting computer after a large update. Repair features do not work, and my Motherboard no longer acknowledges my cd/dvd/usb drives, so I am unable to boot my Kubuntu 13.04 or 13.10 dvd/usb ISO's. Other than that, everything went perfectly. Can't figure out why I am stressed and depressed, can you?

Most of the time I don't mind working beta distributions; I get to learn a little more, and use of my computer is not as critical as it is for most people, however, I would love to go back to Kubuntu 13.10 if I could get a usb or dvd recognized by my motherboard. I am exhausted with the constant problems. Should my first repair be getting connected to the Internet, or trying to get the BIOS to recognize my cd/dvd/usb drives? If you know the solution to those problems, I sure would like the answers. I am about at the end of my rope. Thanks if you have any ideas!

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
    well you can ,,,,but that IS in development and is unstable as yet and you can expect some breakage on the way to release ................................

VINNY

Comment

So you'll have to Google what key to press to get into the BIOS setup.

I'm pretty sure anything less than 8 y/o can boot from a USB and certainly from the optical drive.

It's an interesting option to go for an Alpha release but due to the driver/compatibility problems you had probably a step too far.
      Fix your boot issues first and then test a couple of distros via bootable USB.

Check out the venerable Knoppix and Netrunner, the brother/sister of Kubuntu.

Comment

Teunis, you have been such a support in getting my system working again. I am so very grateful. Good fortune came with this day. I was able to make a new liveUSB, install and update and mostly configure the system today. It is working again like the Cheetah it once was. Everything but one has self corrected. I am so happy. You are one who has made it possible for limited intellectuals like me to enjoy computing too. I will never be a guru, not enough years left, but I sure am a happy camper right now. Cudos friend!!!

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
        So you'll have to Google what key to press to get into the BIOS setup.

I'm pretty sure anything less than 8 y/o can boot from a USB and certainly from the optical drive.

It's an interesting option to go for an Alpha release but due to the driver/compatibility problems you had probably a step too far.
        Fix your boot issues first and then test a couple of distros via bootable USB.

Check out the venerable Knoppix and Netrunner, the brother/sister of Kubuntu.

Comment

Working...
        X