This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shutdown options don't work?

I have been tinkering in "System Settings a lot the past few days, so I may have checked a box not realizing the result, but when I want to shut down, the options to Log Out, Restart, and Shutdown do not appear. The only way I am able to shut down my computer or restart it is to shut it down hard. Even using the command "sudo shutdown now" does not cause a restart or shut down. Is there something I may have checked in System Settings that could have caused this, and if not, is there a way to correct what has happened. Thanks

look to system settings>start up and shutdown>session management and see if you unchecked the 2 top options "confirm log out" & "offer shutdown options" .

as to the "sudo shutdown now" ,,,,try "sudo shutdown -h now" .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Wow, I must be losing it. Must not have clicked Post. This is my 3rd time trying.

"confirm log out" was not checked and now is, "offer shutdown options" was checked. Problem still exists. The command line instruction works great. I did not like pressing and holding the On/Off button to restart or shutdown. Makes me worry that I will cause damage. Cudos! my friend.

Comment

if you go to Kickoff>leave are the options still their ?

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

Yes.

Vinney, I am looking at your Kickoff Kmenu, white with a blue background. I found a multi-colored Kmenu that looks great on dark backgrounds. If you want to try it, look in the K's of the available icons and look for a multi-colored Kmenu. It doesn't look very good in the library of Icons because it doesn't look as good on a white background. Good to hear from you.

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
          if you go to Kickoff>leave are the options still their ?

VINNY

Comment

Now you might like a different theme but back to the original question, what about the Icons for Sleep, Hibernate, Restart and Shut Down, do YOU have them?

Comment

When I open my Favorites menu, they are where they always been, but none of them, when selected, do anything. No log out ability, No restart, nor Shutdown. And the shutdown now does not work unless I add a -h. Then the computer shuts down immediately.

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
              Now you might like a different theme but back to the original question, what about the Icons for Sleep, Hibernate, Restart and Shut Down, do YOU have them?

Comment

Try System Settings ➔ Login Screen ➔ Shutdown tab ➔ in the Local: box make sure that you do not have nobody selected
                Then below in the Halt: box I have /sbin/shutdown -h -P now and to the right Reboot: box I have /sbin/shutdown -r now
                Below that Boot Manager: box I have None selected

I can only guess at what some of these mean but the first where nobody can be selected sounds suspicious along with the next two that are fill in the blank could also be possibilities.

Good luck

Comment

System Settings>Login Screen> (no 'shutdown tab' option - My Kubuntu OS is 14.04, KDE 4.13.3 - Are you giving advice on my Desktop and version? If so, I seem to be missing some options in System Settings. Thanks friend.

Originally posted by gldvorak View Post
                  Try System Settings ➔ Login Screen ➔ Shutdown tab ➔ in the Local: box make sure that you do not have nobody selected
                  Then below in the Halt: box I have /sbin/shutdown -h -P now and to the right Reboot: box I have /sbin/shutdown -r now
                  Below that Boot Manager: box I have None selected

I can only guess at what some of these mean but the first where nobody can be selected sounds suspicious along with the next two that are fill in the blank could also be possibilities.

Good luck

Comment

I'm afraid gldvorak refers to the settings for kdm while Shakthanai is probably using LightDM.

KDM:
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	SystemSettingsKDM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	642398

LightDM:
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	SystemSettingsLDM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	642399

There is another option under Startup and Shutdown.
                    Under Session Management the second box should be ticked to show the shutdown buttons.

Another option to check out would be to change the present K-Menu to the Classical version.

Comment

I have done that. Today, just as fast as the problem started, it returned to function. It is working again right now. Thanks for the help. I have no idea what caused this.

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                      I'm afraid gldvorak refers to the settings for kdm while Shakthanai is probably using LightDM.

KDM:
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]5185[/ATTACH]

LightDM:
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]5186[/ATTACH]

There is another option under Startup and Shutdown.
                      Under Session Management the second box should be ticked to show the shutdown buttons.

Another option to check out would be to change the present K-Menu to the Classical version.

Comment

I can imagine what happened because last night the same happened to me.
                        There were system updates and I applied them, afterwards the shutdown options were visible but did not react on clicking.
                        Because the update also included a new kernel I rebooted and this brought all back to a proper working order.

Comment

I submitted a new post. When I tried to open this post again, a screen said I could not reopen a solved post. But here it is. I don't know what to do now. If it matters, I am using LightDM. I posted, in the new post, screen images of the System Settings pages in my computer with each option.

Comment

i am upgrading to kubuntu 14.10 right now. The current version continues to add new problems and is very difficult correcting the current problems. Thanks for your efforts.

Comment

well you can ,,,,but that IS in development and is unstable as yet and you can expect some breakage on the way to release ................................

VINNY
                              16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                              X