• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Printer Installation Kubuntu 14.04 problem

Click image for larger version

Name:	PrinterImage.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	648705Working for months trying to get my wireless printer working, I finally gave up on getting wireless to work, at least for the mean time.

I have a dual-boot, Kubuntu 14.04/Windows 7. I was able to get Windows 7 to print today, so I finally can print, but I much prefer doing my work on the Kubuntu OS. The connection for the printer is an Ethernet Cable.

When I attempt to install the drivers for my HL2270DW Brother Printer, using the GUI provided by System Settings, under "Serial Port #1"
    Discovered Network Printers, and when I highlight:
    Brother HL-2270DW series (Brother HS-2270DW
    the screen that opens provides:

Address:
    Qeueu:

with empty windows by them. I have no idea what to put into those windows to get and apply drivers for my printer. Can anyone and will anyone help me to fill those windows?

I have pretty much given up on having a wireless connection for the time being, but would prefer to have printing ability on my PC Desktop (via Ethernet Cable). I will continue efforts to make a wireless connection at a later time. Thanks!
    Last edited by Shabakthanai; Aug 15, 2014, 02:17 PM.

It is difficult for me to believe no one has experienced the screen I attached. If you have seen this screen before when attempting to install a printer and know what to do when it appears, please advise? Thanks!

Comment

I have VERY little experience with networked printers but for one HP I installed on a Windows system.
      The trick was to have the printer connect to the router and then print out a sheet with the network settings.
      These are then typed into the computer.

In this case it seems the computer already found the printer (Discovered Network Printers) but it still needs some more info and I assume this can be had by pressing the 'Detect' button.

But I hope someone with experience in network printers can give a definite answer.

Comment

Hi, here is how I got my brother printer/scanner to work via an IP connection:

Before starting the installation: (not sure if everything is needed but this is what I did in preparation to the installation)
        - On the printer touch screen, set the IP adress manually, otherwise your router may give it a different IP adress each time you start it.
        In my case: Boot method=static, IP adress=192.168.000.100, subnetmask=255.255.255.000, Gateway=192.168.000.001(router IP@)
        The IP adress must be in the same range as that of your router.

In konsole, type following commands
        sudo mkdir /var/spool/lpd
        sudo apt-get install csh tcsh sane-utils psutils

Download all drivers from the Brother support site
        in your case you will find them on
        http://support.brother.com/g/b/downl...0dw_all&os=128

To install the driver software, type this command in konsole
        sudo dpkg -i --force-all drivername.deb ---> put the name of your printer drivers
        for example, this is one of the lines for my printer sudo dpkg -i --force-all mfc9970cdwlpr-1.1.1-5.i386.deb

As the printer drivers are now installed, you should find your printer In system KDE settings/printer
        Click on configure and fill in the IP adress of the printer, preceeded by ipp://.
        ipp://192.168.0.100

The printer should work now providing you have IP connectivity.
        If it does not work, you could test IP connecitivity by typing this in a terminal: ping IP adress of your printer
        on my PC it looks like this
        marc@bgc:~$ ping 192.168.0.100 --> this is the ping command I typed
        PING 192.168.0.100 (192.168.0.100) 56(84) bytes of data.
        64 bytes from 192.168.0.100: icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=1108 ms --> this is the reply from the printer
        64 bytes from 192.168.0.100: icmp_seq=2 ttl=255 time=101 ms
        64 bytes from 192.168.0.100: icmp_seq=3 ttl=255 time=6.05 ms
        64 bytes from 192.168.0.100: icmp_seq=4 ttl=255 time=3.10 ms
        ^C
        --- 192.168.0.100 ping statistics ---
        4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 3009ms
        rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 3.105/304.685/1108.080/465.526 ms, pipe 2

You stop the ping by typing CTRL-C
        It does not matter if your printer is connected via a wire or via wifi.
        Of course when you connect via wifi, it has to be wirelessly connected to the router.
        You can find how to change the IP parameters of your printer in this document
        http://download.brother.com/welcome/..._eng_net_b.pdf

Goodluck
        Last edited by mbohets; Aug 18, 2014, 02:06 PM.
        Je suis Charlie, how many more people have to die for religions
        linux user #447706 on https://linuxcounter.net
        A good place to start:
        Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers

Comment

The detect button is greyed out and does not react when selected.

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
          I have VERY little experience with networked printers but for one HP I installed on a Windows system.
          The trick was to have the printer connect to the router and then print out a sheet with the network settings.
          These are then typed into the computer.

In this case it seems the computer already found the printer (Discovered Network Printers) but it still needs some more info and I assume this can be had by pressing the 'Detect' button.

But I hope someone with experience in network printers can give a definite answer.

Comment

I have my printer working again in my PC in the Win7 OS. It is wired with an ethernet cable. Are you confident that making these new settings will not affect my router settings? I have only been able to print for a few days in Win7, and I hate to do something that will lose that again. Sorry to be reticent, but I have been without my printer for most of a year, struggling many time to get it working.

My worst current problem is that I also hate to operate using the Win7 OS. I much favor Kubuntu; using Windows causes me to become angry all the time. It is a big problem having to reboot to Windows and either copy the needed document to Documents then print or open a browser to the site I need a copy from, but I would rather do that than completely lose my printer again.

Because of my age and difficulty getting around, having to arrange for transportation to go to make a copy or the cost of about $20 to make a cab round trip, is far worse than that. Additionally I have been unable to make a deadline for a document that needed to be printed, which was even more costly. Still the available options are both so problematic that it sure would be nice to have my kubuntu printer working again. Please confirm your confidence that this will work, prior to my biting the bullet. Thanks!

Originally posted by mbohets View Post
            Hi, here is how I got my brother printer/scanner to work via an IP connection:

Before starting the installation: (not sure if everything is needed but this is what I did in preparation to the installation)
            - On the printer touch screen, set the IP adress manually, otherwise your router may give it a different IP adress each time you start it.
            In my case: Boot method=static, IP adress=192.168.000.100, subnetmask=255.255.255.000, Gateway=192.168.000.001(router IP@)
            The IP adress must be in the same range as that of your router.

In konsole, type following commands
            sudo mkdir /var/spool/lpd
            sudo apt-get install csh tcsh sane-utils psutils

Download all drivers from the Brother support site
            in your case you will find them on
            http://support.brother.com/g/b/downl...0dw_all&os=128

To install the driver software, type this command in konsole
            sudo dpkg -i --force-all drivername.deb ---> put the name of your printer drivers
            for example, this is one of the lines for my printer sudo dpkg -i --force-all mfc9970cdwlpr-1.1.1-5.i386.deb

As the printer drivers are now installed, you should find your printer In system KDE settings/printer
            Click on configure and fill in the IP adress of the printer, preceeded by ipp://.
            ipp://192.168.0.100

The printer should work now providing you have IP connectivity.
            If it does not work, you could test IP connecitivity by typing this in a terminal: ping IP adress of your printer
            on my PC it looks like this
            marc@bgc:~$ ping 192.168.0.100 --> this is the ping command I typed
            PING 192.168.0.100 (192.168.0.100) 56(84) bytes of data.
            64 bytes from 192.168.0.100: icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=1108 ms --> this is the reply from the printer
            64 bytes from 192.168.0.100: icmp_seq=2 ttl=255 time=101 ms
            64 bytes from 192.168.0.100: icmp_seq=3 ttl=255 time=6.05 ms
            64 bytes from 192.168.0.100: icmp_seq=4 ttl=255 time=3.10 ms
            ^C
            --- 192.168.0.100 ping statistics ---
            4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 3009ms
            rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 3.105/304.685/1108.080/465.526 ms, pipe 2

You stop the ping by typing CTRL-C
            It does not matter if your printer is connected via a wire or via wifi.
            Of course when you connect via wifi, it has to be wirelessly connected to the router.
            You can find how to change the IP parameters of your printer in this document
            http://download.brother.com/welcome/..._eng_net_b.pdf

Goodluck

Comment

To avoid losing your printer in windows, have a look in windows what is the IP adress of your printer instead of manually giving your printer an IP adress.
              In this way, you don't change anything to your network and printer settings.
              All other things are changes you make to your Kubuntu system, they do not affect your router or windows settings.

Once you have the IP adress of your printer, you can test if it is accessibele from Kubuntu with the ping command.
              If the ping is ok, then proceed with installing the printer drivers and tell Kubuntu where to find the printer by filling in the
              IP adress in system settings/printer
              A good place to start:

Comment

My system continues to increase in problems, while the existing problems seem more difficult to resolve. As a result, I am installing the upgrade to Kubuntu 14.10 in the hope that it will resolve most or all of the existing issues.

Comment

For those who are concerned because they couldn't figure out how to get my printer to work, a successful re-installation of the operating system made the fix for the problem very easy. All I had to do was fill in the blanks and Kubuntu did the rest. Thanks to all who tried to help

Comment

Glad you got things working again
                    A good place to start:

Comment

Working...
                    X