This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible SSD [ Kubuntu drive ] issue.

Normally on dmesg I would get the *null* then remount message, but now I get this
    Code:
    [    2.159562] scsi 1:0:0:0: Direct-Access     ATA      M4-CT256M4SSD2   070H PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
    [    2.159818] sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] 500118192 512-byte logical blocks: (256 GB/238 GiB)
    [    2.159863] sd 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 0
    [    2.159922] sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
    [    2.159924] sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
    [    2.159959] sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
    [    2.160515]  sda: sda1
    [    2.160958] ata6.00: configured for UDMA/133
    [    2.160979] sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI disk
    It is attached to the SATA port on the mobo that the booklet said to attach the main drive to. Is this a problem?

I run sudo fstrim -v / on it and it shows me this
    root@ralph-desktop:~# sudo fstrim -v /
    /: 246782640128 bytes were trimmed
    /: 216203264 bytes were trimmed
    /: 0 bytes were trimmed
    I have a trim.log in /var/log and this morning I was only able to trim once which was actually logged, the others, nothing, as if it did not happen. I ran a quick benchmark on it, results
    root@ralph-desktop:~# hdparm -Tt /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
    Timing cached reads: 9622 MB in 1.99 seconds = 4824.32 MB/sec
    Timing buffered disk reads: 1348 MB in 3.00 seconds = 449.26 MB/sec
    SSD - Crucial m4 256gb and I know, too much trimming is bad, but I would like to set up something once a week perhaps or so, but it seems I can't even do that as the log simply does not log the trim cron job I set as a test. Using thes commands:

sudo (gksu is hidding somewhere) gedit /etc/cron.daily/trim

#!/bin/sh
    LOG=/var/log/trim.log
    echo "*** $(date -R) ***" >> $LOG
    fstrim -v / >> $LOG
    fstrim -v /home >> $LOG
    It worked once on auto, shortly after I set it, but then daily I check the log and nada. I ran it manually this morning, first run, nothing in the log, second run it logged it, 2 seconds after. First run it said it trimmed entire SSD but second run only trimmed maybe 80gbs?

I should mention I am getting very slow transfer speed on SATAIII HHDs about 60~80/s meanwhile on Win it WAS AROUND 100-110/s, I am sure this is a pebkac issue but I ran [QUOTE]sudo rm /var/lib/ureadahead/pack[QUOTE] as instructed in one of the ubuntu articles to see if I can rectify the issue, but no grapes.
    Last edited by raffytaffy; Aug 11, 2014, 07:39 AM.

I also do not understand what it is trimming when this is all I have on the drive

Yet it claims to have trimmed the entire drive, second run, about 80gbs, 3rd run 0. Very confusing this is.
    Last edited by SteveRiley; Aug 15, 2014, 10:04 PM.

Comment

add discard to fstab, ONLY if hard disk supports trim

my / looks like this:
      UUID=1d1f4e5e-80bc-43b1-9eff-74a51a18d8d2 / ext4 errors=remount-ro,noatime,discard 0 1
      K 14.4 64 AMD 955be3200MHz 8GB 1866Mhz 6TB Plex/samba.etc.+ Macbook Air 13".

Comment

Don't think it took dmesg spat this out - EXT4-fs (sda1): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null) In fact all my HDDs mount like that :/

Getting somewhere I got this, this time around, noatime not showing

EXT4-fs (sda1): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)
        [ 4.974382] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
        [ 5.005767] systemd-udevd[417]: starting version 204
        [ 5.067093] lp: driver loaded but no devices found
        [ 5.073474] it87: Found IT8721F chip at 0x290, revision 1
        [ 5.079852] ppdev: user-space parallel port driver
        [ 5.140005] EXT4-fs (sda1): re-mounted. Opts: discard,errors=remount-ro
        Last edited by raffytaffy; Aug 11, 2014, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by johndoe View Post
          Normally on dmesg I would get the *null* then remount message, but now I get this
          It is attached to the SATA port on the mobo that the booklet said to attach the main drive to. Is this a problem?
          Looks fine; mine is nearly the same. The only difference is the model number of the drive.

I run sudo fstrim -v / on it and it shows me this
          fstrim does one thing: it calls the kernel's FITRIM ioctl. This, in turn, send a command to the file system. The file system does all the actual work. Different file systems take different approaches. From what I've read, EXT4 tries to avoid trimming the same areas that it trimmed previously if those areas have seen no activity. If you check the man page for fstrim, you'll see that the --verbose option is reporting only the potential number of discarded bytes, not the actual. Different file systems probably have different ways of reporting this number. On my machine, which has one BTRFS file system with two subvolumes, fstrim reports the same approximate number every time I run it. Furthermore, the number seems to have absolutely no relationship to anything else -- used space, free space, anything.

I have a trim.log in /var/log and this morning I was only able to trim once which was actually logged, the others, nothing, as if it did not happen.
          Our forum member Oshunluvr has written here about using cron jobs for fstrim. I'd recommend searching the forum for his posts about the topic.

sudo (gksu is hidding somewhere) gedit
          Kubuntu is KDE -- there is no gksu. The equivalent command is kdesudo. And the default GUI text editor is Kate, which integrates much better with the rest of KDE than Gedit from GNOME.

Comment

Originally posted by millusions View Post
            add discard to fstab, ONLY if hard disk supports trim
            Search the forum here -- you'll find a lot of discussion about this. The general consensus is that using discard isn't a good idea. It can greatly slow down deletes and file updates, because the operation is non-queued. Periodically running fstrim has become the generally accepted practice. More information: https://patrick-nagel.net/blog/archives/337

Comment

Working...
            X