This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with wireless connection?

Dual boot Windows Vista/Kubuntu 14.04. Vista is wirelessly connected, but Kubuntu is not. The following was information found on the Vista connection:

Connection Specific: DNSsuffix woh.rr.com
    Description Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN
    Physical Address 00-1E-65-23-99-08
    DHCP Enabled yes
    IPv4 Address 192.168.0.101
    IPv4 Sub Mask 255.255.255.0
    IPv4 Default Gateway 192.168.0.1
    IPv4 DHCP Server 192.168.0.101
    IPv4 DNS Server 192.168.0.101
    IPv4 WINS Server
    NetBIOS over TcpIp Enabled yes
    Link Local IPv6 Address fe80::a81b:a9e8:fb49:f49c%11

Router IP Address: 192.168.0.101
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    &nbspevice Name: dlinkrouter
    Enable DNS Relay: yes
    Enable DHCP Server: yes
    DHCP IP Address Range: 192.168.0.100-192.168.0.199
    DHCP Lease Time: 1440 minutes\
    Always Broadcast: X (Compatibility for some DHHCP Clients)
    Net BIOS Node type: X Broadcast only (use when WINS servers configured)
    Primary WINS IP Address: 0.0.0.0
    Secondary WINS IP Address: ` 0.0.0.0
    Hardware Address Assigned IP Host Name Expires
    bc:ee:7b:98:d8:ef 192.168.0.100 Yeshuah Desktop April 1, 2011
    00:1e:65:23:998 192.168.0.101 Yeshuah April 1, 2011
    68:9c:70:d0:20:f9 192.168.0.102 iPhone April 1, 2011

Gateway Name: &nbspIR 601

GENERAL

Time 3/31/2011 6:35:35
    Firmware Version: 1.02NA 11/25/2010

WAN

Connection Type: &nbspHCP Client
    Cable Status: connected (not true right now)
    Network Status: connected (not true right now)
    Connection Up Time 5 days
    MAC Address: BC:EE:7B:988:EF
    IP Address: 98.28.147.122
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.240.0
    Default Gateway: 98:28:144:1
    Primary DNS Server 209.18.47.61
    Secondary DNS Server 209.18.47.62
    Advanced DNS: Disabled

LAN

MAC Address: 1c:7e:e5:3a:88:49
    IP Address: 192.168.0.10
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    DHCP Server: Enabled

Wireless LAN

Wireless Radio: Enabled
    MAC Address: 1c:7e:e5:3a:88:48
    Network Name (SSID) STEVEN-WIFI
    802.11 Mode: 11 bgn
    Channel Width: 20
    Channel: 1
    Security Mode: Auto (WPA or WPA2) - PSK

Am I in the right place for help? Linux not supported by Mfg's. This stuff is about like trying to translate from Chinese print for me, and I do not speak Chinese. I guess I need a translator. Thanks anyone!

The following are my System Settings>Network Managment Settings:

Network Management Settings
    Show network speed in Kbytes/s
    Connection Details

Available Details Details to Show

Access Point (MAC) Type
    Driver Connection State
    IPv4 Gateway Connection Speed
    IPv6 Address System Name
    IPv6 Gateway MAC Address
    Mobile Allowed Mode IPv4 Address
    Mobile Device IMEI Access Point (SSID)
    Mobile Device IMSI Signal Strength
    Mobile Unlock Required Wireless Channel
    Wimax Bsid Wireless Security
    Wimax Nsp Mobile Operator
    Wimax NSP Type Mobile Signal Quality
    Wimax Signal Mobile Access Technology
    Wireless Band VPN Plugin
    Wireless Mode VPN Banner
    Notifications

State Title
    [I] Active Connection State changed
    [I] Missing VPN plugin
    [I] VPN connection state changed

[I] Device failed to activate
    Last edited by Shabakthanai; Aug 10, 2014, 11:33 AM. Reason: Add additional data

let me see if I get this right ,,,,,,, when you boot vista you have a wireless connection ,,,,,, when you boot Kubuntu you do not .

yes/no

if yes ,,,,,,,,,what do you do to try and connect in Kubuntu ?

just tell what you do to try and connect then we will go from their ,,,,,,

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

What is the output, if you put into Konsole Terminal?: lspci |grep Network
      "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
      "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Indeed, first answer arochesters question as this should tell us what type of hardware your computer uses.

With the correct hardware WIFI should be a breeze

Comment

I contacted my ISP without success, then Dlink, my router Mfg., who does not support Linux wouldn't help. Some tech support gave me an estimate of $115 and guaranteed the fix. I live on a low fixed income and I would like to avoid such an expense, + try to learn something. I don't remember what else to do and googled stuff isn't beginner enough. System Settings doesn't give things I understand. I don't remember having to do much from past installations. I kind of feel like it was pretty much plug and play. Memory is terrible anymore though.

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
          let me see if I get this right ,,,,,,, when you boot vista you have a wireless connection ,,,,,, when you boot Kubuntu you do not .

yes/no

VINNY

Comment

03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation WiFi Link 5100

Originally posted by arochester View Post
            What is the output, if you put into Konsole Terminal?: lspci |grep Network

Comment

Strange, when I tried to cut and paste the terminal response, it would not paste and gave me some font configuration choices

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
              Indeed, first answer arochesters question as this should tell us what type of hardware your computer uses.

With the correct hardware WIFI should be a breeze

Comment

Your network controller should be supported by Linux and Kubuntu.
                After reading some messages on the net at least a few years ago it (a kernel module with the driver) was part of the Kernel or it could be loaded as a module.

Time and again we'll see regressions where certain drivers are dropped from the kernel but I'd be surprised if this Intel card would no longer be supported.
                The one needed is called iwlwifi and is still available from the Intel site.

The proper way to go about it is to use the Driver Manager in System Setting, when started it will probably (hopefully!) tell you what is missing and ask you if you want to install it.

I think you already used this utility to install the proprietary video driver.

Comment

I could not find iwlwifi on the Intel site. I do not have a virtual machine, but attempted to find for wine. In the past I tried to make a virtual machine, but I am just not capable of getting it done, even with help. Found my limit on that issue. :dunce:

Your network controller should be supported by Linux and Kubuntu.
                  After reading some messages on the net at least a few years ago it (a kernel module with the driver) was part of the Kernel or it could be loaded as a module.

Time and again we'll see regressions where certain drivers are dropped from the kernel but I'd be surprised if this Intel card would no longer be supported.
                  The one needed is called iwlwifi and is still available from the Intel site.

The proper way to go about it is to use the Driver Manager in System Setting, when started it will probably (hopefully!) tell you what is missing and ask you if you want to install it.

Comment

"I could not find iwlwifi on the Intel site. "

Look at: http://askubuntu.com/questions/29809...wifi-link-5100
                    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
                    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

I read all the entries, but it is really over my head. I don't know what to do with the information and don't really understand it. I suppose this is one of those things yet to be perfected for 13 and 14 Kubuntu users.

I use my laptop in my kitchen. It makes lif easier for me, and I don't have the ability to hard wire the ethernet cable anymore, so perhaps I will just have to forget it. Thanks for trying to help.

Originally posted by arochester View Post
                      "I could not find iwlwifi on the Intel site. "

Look at: http://askubuntu.com/questions/29809...wifi-link-5100

Comment

I don't know why you are considering a virtual machine, it won't do anything for your missing wireless driver.
                        Although installing the driver from the Intel site is possible it is anything but trivial.

Therefore I repeat my advise:

Comment

First I contacted my ISP, then Dlink. Neither support Linux. And support wanted $115 to make the connection. It is too expensive for me. I googled, but failed to understand the instructions. Vista connects; Kubuntu does not connect.

It is important to get it working on Kubuntu; I really don't like Windows and only use it as a last resort.

I am having similar problems with bluetooth which work automatically on Win7 and Vista but not on 14.04. I installed Wine and a wizzard opens, but I don't know what to put in the space for Host or Port or Username and Password. Nevertheless, if I can fill the wizzard out, I am confident it will work. I am installing info from a CD included in the Bluetooth 3.0 dongle I bought.

I have been spoiled in the past, because Kubuntu developers did this kind of stuff for us. Windows was more time consuming for those tasks, but made it pretty easy too. 14.04 is not as easy for the inexperienced. Is it port 3000? (One mentioned in a Google post.) Do I use my pseudonym for Username and my choice of password? There is not a password confirmation on the form. Next they want Mount, Mount Image, and Umount, and finally the "Finish".

I suspect these items are just easy to answer.

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post

yes/no

VINNY
                          Last edited by Shabakthanai; Aug 11, 2014, 03:03 PM.

Comment

The only Drivers in Driver Management are for my Video Card. VM was all that was offered on the Intel site.

I don't know why you are considering a virtual machine, it won't do anything for your missing wireless driver.
                            Although installing the driver from the Intel site is possible it is anything but trivial.

Therefore I repeat my advise:

Comment

I'm afraid you are mixing up subjects because wireless (WIFI) nor Bluetooth has anything to do with wine.

Please try to follow my previous advise and report any inconsistencies.

Comment

Working...
                              X