This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fan won't go off

I have an Elitegroup G556 with the latest version of Kubuntu. I've tried several other distro's and this one is the best so far. But as with the other distro's I've tried, when the fan starts running (which it does for no reason at all), it won't stop, or even slow down. Anyone have a solution for this?

Re: Fan won't go off

I'm having the exact same problem! It actually looks pretty common if you search through the Ubuntu forums. I've only just started investigating solutions.

Comment

Re: Fan won't go off

Same issue here, with Asus A2D-series (crappy) notebook with AMD XP-M processor.
      Fan control is crashing even in Windows i.e. fan won't go off at all sometimes.
      Very, VERY annoying problem, and that fan is L-O-U-D.

I've tested several, maybe dozens of linux distributions.
      Fan control worked very well till recent distros...

I met same fan problem with K/Ubuntu Dapper & Edgy and Suse 10.1.
      FC6 didn't have that fan problem, but instead it was very unstable on my laptop.

Kubuntu works otherwise great, but I don't know how to solve that jamming fan.
      I've tried to install lm-sensors but never had any luck with that.

I know that Asus makes motherboards to several different notebook makers also.
      I'm just guessing here, but this problem could be caused by crappy / non-standard acpi things.

What has changed?
      All I had to do with Slackware based Zenwalk Linux was
      "modprobe powernow-k7" and start powernowd. Allways it worked like a charm.
      Very simple and clean.

I see that Kubuntu uses powernow module also.
      Maybe there is a bug in cpufreq or something else modules which does fan contolling / frequency scaling?

I used Ubuntu Dapper 6.06-version for a while, and I don't recall this fan problem ever happened. But then it happened with Ubuntu Edgy... I wouldn't like to go back to older versions because of this problem.

Comment

Working...
      X