Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In dual boot, are the settings for WiFi the same for both Operating Systems?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In dual boot, are the settings for WiFi the same for both Operating Systems?

I just removed Kubuntu 14.10 from my laptop and installed Kubuntu 14.04. I no longer have contact with the Internet in Kubuntu 14.04. When I access DLink's configuration site, it appears completely filled out. I am concerned because I cannot remember nor find the password I created when initially setting up my wireless Internet connection.

I am confused by things like the MAC address. Apparently it is different for the two operating systems. My Windows 7 Operating System is wirelessly connected and seems to work just fine, however to use my Kubuntu OS on my laptop, I have to be connected to the Router using an ethernet cable. I have little memory of how I set up wireless from the past, and don't even know who I should seek help. Is it my ISP? Is it the manufacturer of the Dlink 601 router? As I recall from a recent yet previous attempt at getting help from the Dlink Support team, I was told they do NOT support Linux. Is it from you guys?

What packages are necessary to make my network work? I have been attempting to get things set up and have probably installed packages that are not helpful.

I have tried to follow different tutorials on YouTube, but am not confident with what I have attempted to learn. I bookmarked that site, which appeared made for people like me, but not remembering the password has me very concerned when trying to change any current entries. Can I somehow change my password?

I think I create more problems than I make.

if all you nead is your wireless password and windows is still connecting,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,

try this

Code:
    [B]Windows 7: Find your password[/B]

[TABLE="class: ordered-steps-table"]
    [TR]
    [TD][B]Step 1:[/B][/TD]
    [TD]Click the wireless network icon on the taskbar (lower-right corner).[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][B]Step 2:[/B][/TD]
    [TD]Right-click your wireless network name, and then select [B]Properties[/B].[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][B]Step 3:[/B][/TD]
    [TD]Select [B]Show characters[/B] to see the wireless network password.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    or look hear to see the same procidure with screenshots
    http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-3...af4e645f17f0ee

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I appreciate the help my friend. First: The missing wireless connection is on my Laptop which is dual boot Windows Vista/Kubuntu 14.04. I tried your instruction anyway, I even tried the instruction indicated by the link which is for Windows 7; in neither case was I able to get 'Properties'. I tried the different links thinking it may have a different way to access 'Properties', but was unsuccessful.

I opened my Desktop computer thinking perhaps I could get information from the Windows 7 Operating System, however I could not find any reference to wireless which would get me to a 'Properties' option, I am sure it is because the Desktop is connected using an Ethernet Cable.

When attempting to correct the matter using the Kubuntu OS on the Laptop, I was unable to find anything in the way of "connection icons" on the panel. There was no evidence that wireless is available, however I have had wireless connectivity in the past without any USB dongles; it is an internal ability on my laptop.

When I open the Dlink site, the password that I thought was securing my network worked to open the site, but when I saw the place where Password is indicated within the site, there are 2 more characters than the password evident (I counted the dots to confirm) that opens the site, so that is why I am insecure about my password that protects the network. It is very confusing, because I have no illusions about my memory, so if I had used a different password, I would have made a note of it somewhere, perhaps an encrypted file or something, which I cannot find.

Since the Vista Operating System connects to the Internet Wirelessly, I have a way to access the Internet wirelessly; I am just stuck with the problem of having to use the inferior OS to do so. I don't like that, but I suppose I can live with it. I hope I have cleared any confusion I may have caused; if you can see a way to help further, that would be nice. Cudos!

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
      if all you nead is your wireless password and windows is still connecting,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,

try this

Code:
      [B]Windows 7: Find your password[/B]

[TABLE="class: ordered-steps-table"]
      [TR]
      [TD][B]Step 1:[/B][/TD]
      [TD]Click the wireless network icon on the taskbar (lower-right corner).[/TD]
      [/TR]
      [TR]
      [TD][B]Step 2:[/B][/TD]
      [TD]Right-click your wireless network name, and then select [B]Properties[/B].[/TD]
      [/TR]
      [TR]
      [TD][B]Step 3:[/B][/TD]
      [TD]Select [B]Show characters[/B] to see the wireless network password.[/TD]
      [/TR]
      [/TABLE]
      or look hear to see the same procidure with screenshots
      http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-3...af4e645f17f0ee

VINNY

Comment

mate,
        if you can access the router from your Windows,
        as in web interface,
        then go there and change the wirless password.
        stick a bit of masking tape on the router and write this password down,
        once password is changed you are cruising the net in style with Kubuntu
        K 14.4 64 AMD 955be3200MHz 8GB 1866Mhz 6TB Plex/samba.etc.+ Macbook Air 13".

Comment

As millusions implicitly told you, you didn't open the DLink site but you accessed the router/modem configuration and settings.
          Don't go by the number of dots, many systems purposely show a different number.

It sounds like your browser remembered the password, if it is Firefox than go into Settings/Preferences/Security and click on the Saved Passwords button, here you can see what password was saved (by the browser to access the router).

Now on my router the password for WIFI is different to the password for access so you have to watch out what you are doing.

And write it on a piece of paper!

A MAC address is just like the ID of a piece of network hardware and usually not important for making the connection so ignore it.

I just pulled out a Win7 computer and checked the steps vinny posted and they are correct, don't know how different Vista is

Back in a minute with a screenshot!
          Now I see you found the solution but for the archive I'll include a screenshot of Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE4.13.3.
          It shows I'm connected to Area51 and clicking on the tool/wrench/spanner will allow you to edit the network configuration, including checking or changing of the password.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot left panel3u.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	642380
          Last edited by Teunis; Aug 07, 2014, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Boy do I have egg on my face. Such a wonderful solution, and so easy. That is a great solution; can't thank you enough. I also followed his recommendation. Vista is completely different, not similar enough to use the same procedure to solve the problem.

Originally posted by millusions View Post
            mate,
            if you can access the router from your Windows,
            as in web interface,
            then go there and change the wirless password.
            stick a bit of masking tape on the router and write this password down,
            once password is changed you are cruising the net in style with Kubuntu
            Last edited by Shabakthanai; Aug 07, 2014, 12:38 PM. Reason: add info

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
              My Windows 7 Operating System is wirelessly connected and seems to work just fine,
              you sead win-7 not vista

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                you sead win-7 not vista

VINNY
                Dear Vinny,

I am embarrassed and feeling stupid. I made an error when posting. Possibly because I was posting from my Desktop, because my Laptop wasn't connected at the time. I am sorry. My Laptop was in another room and not close enough connect to the Internet using the Ethernet Cable at the time.

Laptop Computer Kubuntu 14.04/Windows Vista No wireless Internet connection in Kubuntu 14.04/Windows Vista connected wirelessly PROBLEM COMPUTER
                Desktop Computer Kubuntu 14.04/Windows 7 Connected using Ethernet Cable NO CONNECTION PROBLEM COMPUTER

It is no wonder I can't get my wonderful help to work. Currently both computers are close together so that I can reach the Laptop with another Eth Cable on my router if needed.

Please forgive my waste of your time Vinny, I make mistakes without noticing anymore. It is awful when it affects others. I am doing my best. I probably should quit operating a computer, but it is the only way for me to stay active anymore, and although never sufficiently intellectually equipped, I just love it.

Nevertheless, when I opened the Vista App to try your instruction, I continued to try your advice, in case the two OS's were enough alike to make the vix. They weren't.

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
                  Dear Vinny,

Please forgive my waste of your time Vinny, I make mistakes without noticing anymore. It is awful when it affects others. I am doing my best. I probably should quit operating a computer, but it is the only way for me to stay active anymore, and although never sufficiently intellectually equipped, I just love it.
                  O no big deal
                  I do this as a way to relax in the evening after work ,,,,so no wast of my time , it's how I have fun

yaaaa reading that last sentence I just realized I have no life ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, LOL

VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

I don't know how to get the help I need from this post anymore. I submitted another post that indicates my having trouble connecting wirelessly. I included the information gained from the successful Windows Vista connection from my dual-boot.

I am marking this post as solved. Thanks everyone. Network stuff baffles me.

Comment

I was in my BIOS looking for solutions to sound problems I am having since I purchased a new sound card. While there, I tried many settings I have no knowledge of to see if any sound related settings were included. With this installation I also have a wireless connection problem that may now have a real solution. While in the BIOS I enabled Network settings that involved Ipv4 and Ipv6; I am thinking that might change things. Of course I am still in unfamiliar grounds and will need help. Is there a way to re-activate this post? Thanks!

Comment

IPv6 is only useful for people who have a forward thinking ISP that supports it.
                        Or you have (to) set up a so-called tunnel, both are still rarely useful to the home user.

So disabling IPv6 is in your situation not a requirement but probably a good idea...
                        IPv4 is the way the internet has worked for many years and will continue to work for the foreseeable future.

In short, your WIFI problems have absolutely, guaranteed, nothing to do with IPv6.

Wireless connectivity is delivered via your modem or router and is exactly the same for Linux, Windows, Android Apple or *BSD.
                        The fact it works on Windows is an excellent prerequisite to have it working on the same hardware but with Linux.

A recurring problem is hardware manufacturers being tight with information needed to write the Linux drivers.

Go back to post #2 in this thread and start again...

It might be an idea to have someone, preferably in your time zone, help you via TeamViewer or such.

Comment

Working...
                        X