Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can the dimentions of the Kmenu be resized to make narower?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can the dimentions of the Kmenu be resized to make narower?

Previous versions of Kubuntu permitted resizing both height and width of the Kmenu window when it is selected. I realize Kubuntu still allows resizing both directions, however, the width of current resize ability stops with considerable white space between the text in the window and the right border of the window.

This is just an aesthetic issue and not a great problem, however Kubuntu shows more interest in aesthetics and configurability than most other Operating Systems and seems to want to continue to be a leader in such considerations.. Since the programming obviously exists, I would like to restore this ability in my computer. Perhaps others would like same and also miss this ability.

I place the Panel of my computer on the top edge of the screen and the Kmenu on the right of each monitor. I am right- handed and it is what I believe a logical position for the StartMenu. Since things do not drop up, it seemed logical to locate my panel to have applications drop down. Doing this for 20 years has made it my normal and a habit. It also resists the nature to retain Microsoft trends, which don't always make sense to me.

My panel hides as well, which I prefer for aesthetical reasons. I also put an additional Kmenu Icon on the left side of the same panel. It is an easy thing to do, and it allow more rapid access, with less movement of the mouse to access the Kmenu when the mouse is on that side of the screen. I would put an additional default panel on the bottom of my screen as well, if I did not use the screen corners as a method to present active applications to the desktop.

This is such a trivial issue that I have been hesitant to make the request, but the guru's of this forum are so capable, some may have noticed the change and have the same preference and also know how to correct the issue easily. Thanks!

Well, you learn something every day! I had no idea you could resize the Kmenu like that ... I guess I just never thought about it. Thanks Shabakthanai for pointing it out.

I'm sorry I can't help you though because here in 12.04 I can't get it to go much narrower either.
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

I answered your other reply too. I showed how you can beautify other applications by changing their Icons. Take a look at it. The one I suspect you will like is the Kmenu Icon change. I don't know what your Wallpaper looks like, but if you have a dark background, look in system settings>Workspace Appearance>Desktop Themes>Get New Themes... Then type in the search box, "Bare Naked" and click on install. Next right-click on your desktop and select unlock widgets. Next an additional acorn will appear, click on it, and you will be able to relocate your panel by dragging it to the side you want, the item that shows up/down will allow you to increase or decrease your panel height and the Icons that appear on it. Then select Add Widgets, look for analog clock, click and drag it to your desktop. You will now have a beautiful analog clock with the accurate time on it. Next, advance the choices until you get to the two networking applications and pick the second and drag it to your desktop. You will now have a graph that indicates the speed of your downloads and uploads. Both of these widgets are useful and using Bare Naked, appear basic images with an invisible background.

If you enjoy what I have written, send me a message in your profile area. On the left side there is an option to send a message to a member. When I get it, I will figure a suitable way for us to communicate easier and faster, and if you like, show you how to decorate your Desktop and applications. Most people don't take the time, I think, but the configuration possibilities are wonderful in Kubuntu. I am attaching a png of my desktop so you can see the possibilities I have chosen.

Additionally, I don't like a lot of junk on the screen, unless it is useful all the time, and a bunch of Icons of applications like in the Microsoft format are not aesthetically pleasing to me. I don't even like the Panel showing until I want to use it, so I have mine hide until I put the cursor on the top-screen. If you like this stuff, Kubuntu is one of the best systems to allow personalizing of the Desktop. Being a retired fine-artist, I cannot avoid the opportunity.

You look a little younger than I, but you look like you may be retired like I. If so, this could be fun for you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	splashShot.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	642373

This is my preferred Desktop Wallpaper; I currently upgraded and haven't put it on my current desktop, but Bare Naked and Widgets look beautiful on it.

Keep in touch, friend. By the way, if you are not aware, you can resize the clock to fill your entire screen if you want, same with any widget.

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
      Well, you learn something every day! I had no idea you could resize the Kmenu like that ... I guess I just never thought about it. Thanks Shabakthanai for pointing it out.

I'm sorry I can't help you though because here in 12.04 I can't get it to go much narrower either.

Comment

Hi Shabakthanai,

I'm very aware of the customisation options in KDE which is one of the main reasons I switched to Kubuntu from Ubuntu (I didn't like the locked-in Unity desktop in Ubuntu). I do like to customise my desktop too. Thanks for the info.

BTW, I'm not yet retired (I wish) ... I still have a few years to go!
        Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
        Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

I hope I did not offend by presuming; I just felt a long-distant friendship developing and thought I might share something. Something you said in your reply made me think that you may be a user that takes what is offered and use the system as is.

Like you, I really like the customization offered in Kubuntu. All my hold-out friends who still use Windows, hate it when they see my computer function. Highly customizable and daily usable widgets that are worthy of occupying space on the desktop full time, are not available in Windows in the same robust way. They amaze me. They talk like they respect me, but still hold out for an inferior operating system.

I dual boot with Win7, and only use Windows for applications that would be nice yet unavailable in Kubuntu, or if I have a repair that requires a functioning OS to enter the Internet. On the rare occasion that happens, I am driven nuts by the garbage you have to deal with just to use Windows.

Because I so rarely use Win7, every time I open the app, it requires massive time loss updating and cleaning up the mess that has taken place since the last time I used it. I am actually grateful it is available, because it very rare for a component problem to stop me, so having a working OS to access help is useful, but all the extra mouse clicks just to get Windows to accept the fact that I really want to do what I want to do, is a bummer, and updating virus protection and spyware, etc. wastes so much time, I sometimes forget what I needed the computer for, by the time all that garbage stuff finishes.

I apologize for knocking Windows, but by the time I get Kubuntu functioning, I am already angry because of the negative Operating experience I have lived through using Windows. I could never use Windows as default with Kubuntu as back-up.

How is your winter treating you this year, mild or wild? It is getting pretty warm here in the upper 40, (something a cowboy might say in the US of A). Keep warm and safe and in touch my friend. By the way, keep working as long as you are able, retirement sucks, even when you have to. Nevertheless, retirement with the little I am able to do, is a bit better than croaking. 71 and counting.

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
          Hi Shabakthanai,

I'm very aware of the customisation options in KDE which is one of the main reasons I switched to Kubuntu from Ubuntu (I didn't like the locked-in Unity desktop in Ubuntu). I do like to customise my desktop too. Thanks for the info.

BTW, I'm not yet retired (I wish) ... I still have a few years to go!
          Last edited by Shabakthanai; Aug 05, 2014, 11:07 PM.

Comment

I don't quire understand your question, when I look at this Kmenu I can make it so small most of the text gets obscured.

Name:	Screenshot left panel1u.jpg
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	642375

Now I don't like this particular menu so normally I replace it by the Classical Menu.
            Because it doesn't like Ksnapshot the picture is not as clear as I would've liked.
            With this menu you can not change the width or size.

Name:	Screenshot left panel2u.jpg
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	642376

Comment

I actually prefer the newer form for the window. When the Favorites window appears, there is a couple of inches of white space to the right of the text. I wanted to leave about the same amount of border on the right side of the text as is on the other side.
              Originally posted by Teunis View Post
              I don't quire understand your question, when I look at this Kmenu I can make it so small most of the text gets obscured.
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]5147[/ATTACH]

Now I don't like this particular menu so normally I replace it by the Classical Menu.
              Because it doesn't like Ksnapshot the picture is not as clear as I would've liked.
              With this menu you can not change the width or size. I find if you put the cursor on the corner of the window, you can adjust both width and length of the window, but the width is limited to leaving a couple of inches of white space. I believe the window would appear more balanced with the text centered in the space and equivalent borders top bottom and sides.

I was a little disappointed after installing the previous version of Kubuntu, because apparently the author of Bare Naked terminated the theme. It was my favorite, totally invisible background excepting where the letters and Icons appeared, and I can not find an alternative. When the folder with the yellow star in its center was available, I changed the Icon to look like a DVD. I had several movies in that dropdown and the width of the dropdown was only about 2", maybe a little less. Actually I might like to make the Icons in the menu smaller too; they seem to dominate. Your Classic presentation is much nicer in that respect. Thanks for adding the images. They are very nice.
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]5148[/ATTACH]

Comment

The folder with the star is the Quick Launch widget and it allows quick access to (all of) the user's folder.

Since a while it's no longer available as a standard widget, first it has to be installed from the repositories.

Comment

Thanks, I would love to find it. Is it called quick_launcher, or quick-launcher or something else, I couldn't find it using those entries. It was perhaps my favorite widget.

The folder with the star is the Quick Launch widget and it allows quick access to (all of) the user's folder.

Since a while it's no longer available as a standard widget, first it has to be installed from the repositories.

Comment

You'll find it in the Muon Package Manager with the name 'plasma-widget-quickaccess'.
                    Once installed on the system you have to add it like all other widgets.

Comment

Thanks friend, You have become an amazing friend. If it is the same, I will really enjoy having it back. Being able to work the same, as well as, change the Icon image is just great.

You'll find it in the Muon Package Manager with the name 'plasma-widget-quickaccess'.
                      Once installed on the system you have to add it like all other widgets.

Comment

Working...
                      X