Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I have to Backup all my files if I install Linux with a Boot Disc?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I have to Backup all my files if I install Linux with a Boot Disc?

I'm a little behind the times, I got the Lusty Lynx or whatever so instead of upgrading I need to install Linux with a Boot Disc, but it's been awhile so I can't remember if that is going to clear out all my files or not

I think I recall that with the Upgrade everything is preserved but I wasn't sure about the Boot Disc Approach

Thanks!

Im pretty sure youll end up doing a fresh install, so definitely backup everything. Even when version upgrading (without the live CD) its a very good idea to backup all your files because things do sometimes go wrong.

Comment

good advice to backup,

then
      make a seperate partition for / , say 15gb i find is more than generous and do not mark any other partitions to F-format during install.
      its much more relaxing doing this when your data has a backup
      K 14.4 64 AMD 955be3200MHz 8GB 1866Mhz 6TB Plex/samba.etc.+ Macbook Air 13".

Comment

yes back up your data,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

if your present install has only a / partition and swap and you plan to reuse these ,,,,,all data will be lost .

IF you have a / partition AND a /home partition you could do the install to the old / and lose nothing, IF ,all your data is in /home/you. Then system link the old /home/you folders to the new /home/you in / .
        OR go ahead and mark the old /home/you(if you have this as separate partition now) as the mount point for /home during the install but do NOT mark it for formating and your data should be ok ,,,,,,,

I now always do my installs with at least 2 15-20Gig partitions for OS (linux) installs a swap partition that = RAM+ (I like suspend to ram) and at least 2 data partitions with the rest of the space ,,,, now after install I make system link's of all my /home/me folders (Documents,Downloads,Music,bla,bla,bla) to the real folders in the data partitions ,,,,,,,,,now if a complete reinstall becomes necessary all I lose are my added programs and such.

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
        X