Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE 4.13.95 Many font defaults are too small, and most Internet sites can not be rea

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Shabakthanai, Have you tried setting the forced fonts DPI to a higher setting? That might be something to experiment with in addition to the proposed suggestions.

You will find this in System Settings --> Application Appearance --> Fonts
    Check Force fonts DPI and set that to a higher number. Increase by increments of 5. For example, try 105 first. Then try 110, 115, and 120. I wouldn't go much higher than 120 because you might start to get display issues with DPI settings higher than that.

Here is another post about fonts I found useful.
    Kubuntu's default font?
    sigpic

Comment

They do, and those minimums do not function. I took Firefox out of my favorites and am now on Rekonq. The font on this page is too small to read. Perhap 6 or 7. I can't find any way to increase font size on this page, not even access to a zoom feature. No matter how many times you ask the same question and no matter how you change the wording, the answer will remain the same. You must be gaming me.Not funny.

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
      So your Firefox doesn't have these in its settings?:

I've been using UNIX/Linux for almost 30 years, but you never know what might come up one day.

Comment

I repeat my earlier observation, if you can read the text when up close your problem is the strength of your glasses, not the font size.
        Whenever I've been working on something small and forget to take off my +2.5 glasses I run into exactly the same problem you have, I can only read the screen from up close.
        Just changing to the appropriate glasses for a greater distance makes all perfectly fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
          They do, and those minimums do not function.
          And you tried logging in as a different user? And they STILL didn't work?

No matter how many times you ask the same question and no matter how you change the wording, the answer will remain the same. You must be gaming me.Not funny.
          Sorry you think that. I'll just shut up now...
          Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
            I repeat my earlier observation, if you can read the text when up close your problem is the strength of your glasses, not the font size.
            But he keeps saying the font size is small: "The font on this page is too small to read. Perhap 6 or 7"
            Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Yes there might indeed be something amiss with the minimal font sizes but that doesn't cancel the observation by Shabakthanai himself they ARE readable from up-close, THAT's caused by the glasses used.

A few days ago I tried to get the new Intel/nVidia Optimus system working and this laptop was for the first time in two years started up on Intel instead of nVidia and I noticed how terribly small the system font was, even though the settings didn't change.
              Once
              back on nVidia all reverted to 'normal' but it does mean the Kubuntu settings can be affected or fooled by the driver in use.

I have a 24" HD monitor and I have to keep a certain distance to have it in focus, without my reading glasses that'll be at least 10' (3 m.) away.
              With my regular +1.5 reading glasses vision is fine at 60 -80 cm, that's 2'- 2' 8".
              If I put on my +2.5 glasses I HAVE to get really up-close like 8 - 14", 25 - 35 cm. to read the text clearly.
              Because we tend to put a larger monitor at a greater distance this will be more explicit on a 27" monitor.

It's simple optics, when you get older your own lens becomes less flexible and can no longer adjust over greater distances and you need the appropriate glasses to compensate.

Now here are other eye failings that simply lower your ability to see at high definition and it won't go away with changing distances.

Disclaimer: I am no optician but in the day optics were part of my education.

Comment

Thanks, my friend, I know it is just an age problem, but it gets frustrating when you need to and are trying to read something and can't. I have found that text that is difficult to read is clear and understandable to me when larger. Up until recently, my regular distance lenses worked much better, and the bifocals seem OK up close still. It is hard to understand why the makers of websites don't use code that permits their data to expand to the width of the users screen, and a method to increase the print. So many sites stay with about a 8" wide presentation when most users now have 20" wide monitors. And for those like me, who really benefit from the ability, would enjoy computing much more.

I have always sat about 3 feet from the screen. My long vision glasses have worked OK, but I have always notice the clearity improved when at an appropriate distance. It is just now, I seem to struggle both site and sound, and I know it is just age, but having the ability to reconfigure things to offset my shortcomings is really nice. Thanks for the help, my friend.

Yes there might indeed be something amiss with the minimal font sizes but that doesn't cancel the observation by Shabakthanai himself they ARE readable from up-close, THAT's caused by the glasses used.

A few days ago I tried to get the new Intel/nVidia Optimus system working and this laptop was for the first time in two years started up on Intel instead of nVidia and I noticed how terribly small the system font was, even though the settings didn't change.
                Once
                back on nVidia all reverted to 'normal' but it does mean the Kubuntu settings can be affected or fooled by the driver in use.

I have a 24" HD monitor and I have to keep a certain distance to have it in focus, without my reading glasses that'll be at least 10' (3 m.) away.
                With my regular +1.5 reading glasses vision is fine at 60 -80 cm, that's 2'- 2' 8".
                If I put on my +2.5 glasses I HAVE to get really up-close like 8 - 14", 25 - 35 cm. to read the text clearly.
                Because we tend to put a larger monitor at a greater distance this will be more explicit on a 27" monitor.

It's simple optics, when you get older your own lens becomes less flexible and can no longer adjust over greater distances and you need the appropriate glasses to compensate.

Now here are other eye failings that simply lower your ability to see at high definition and it won't go away with changing distances.

Disclaimer: I am no optician but in the day optics were part of my education.

Comment

I think others already pointed out the Firefox text zoom keys 'Ctrl + +' and 'Ctrl + -' key combos, the one to revert to default magnification is 'Ctrl + 0'.

Under View/ Zoom there is a tick box to 'Only zoom text'.

Comment

Have you had any luck with changing the forced fonts DPI?
                    sigpic

Comment

You probably didn't notice that while trying to resolve this problem, I added a new problem. The Video is currently not functioning properly in my Kubuntu OS, so I am in Windows 7 right now. I appreciate the new information and will try it as soon as the video is corrected in the Kubuntu OS.

Nevertheless, am I to understand if I want images and Icons to increase in size along with the text, I press Ctrl + 0 ? And I did not notice if the shortcuts were mentioned. Thanks for the good news.

I think others already pointed out the Firefox text zoom keys 'Ctrl + +' and 'Ctrl + -' key combos, the one to revert to default magnification is 'Ctrl + 0'.

Under View/ Zoom there is a tick box to 'Only zoom text'.

Comment

I recently added a new problem in my Kubuntu OS affecting video and have to fix that problem before I can check your reply. I am in a Windows 7 OS right now and cannot check it.

I will get back to you when I can check that issue. Thanks for the new Info.

Originally posted by life0riley View Post
                        Have you had any luck with changing the forced fonts DPI?

Comment

Working...
                        X