Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgraded to Kubuntu 14.10 and lost connection with Internet.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgraded to Kubuntu 14.10 and lost connection with Internet.

I realize that betas are a risk, however what do you do when you upgrade and your Internet doesn't connect.

I am fortunate to have dual-boot in this computer; I am connected using Windows Vista. Nevertheless, I am a bit confused how I can repair my kubuntu 14.10 installation without connection to the Internet. Any ideas, anyone? Thanks!

Are you connected wirelessly or by an actual cable? If you are connected by cable (wire), you should have basic network functions. It is not recommended to perform OS upgrades on a wireless connection.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Didn't know that; I did upgrade on a wireless connection. What do I do? Reinstall, after making it a wired connection? Or can I connect an ethernet cable and still fix it.

In the past, I have had pretty good fortune with network and connections and printers too; they just seemed to more or less install themselves and work. Now, it is just nothing but problems in those areas, while otherwise my computer has never worked so well. I guess I am just not destined to have everything work well at the same time. I just wonder where I would be without this forum's help.

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      Are you connected wirelessly or by an actual cable? If you are connected by cable (wire), you should have basic network functions. It is not recommended to perform OS upgrades on a wireless connection.

Comment

Just plug in your wired connection and reboot. You want to boot into Recovery Mode. Once logged in, you'll be at a command line. Type:
        Code:
        apt-get install -f
        Then:
        Code:
        apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
        When it finishes, type:
        Code:
        shutdown -r now

Comment

Dear Snowhog,

When I got to the Boot Screen, I selected an Advanced option, because no Recovery option existed. Several Recovery options opened; I selected the first Recovery option. A screen opened with several choices. One choice was 'root' which said 'drop to root shell'; I selected that option. I typed in my root password and then I typed in 'apt-get install -f'. What followed was this:

W: Not using locking for read only lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock
          E: Unable to write to /var/cache/apt/
          E: The package lists on status file could not be parced or opened ...followed by a root prompt.

I typed in 'apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade' ...when I pressed enter, there were a large number of 'failed to fetch' items, too many to write down unless necessary. I had to write what you see longhand, and the 'failed to fetch' items seemed unnecessary. I will copy them if you require them.

I am sure I made an error, but don't know what it might be. Except for the missing 'failed to fetch' items, I carefully copied and explained as accurately as I am able what happened.

Just plug in your wired connection and reboot. You want to boot into Recovery Mode. Once logged in, you'll be at a command line. Type:
          Code:
          apt-get install -f
          Then:
          Code:
          apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
          When it finishes, type:
          Code:
          shutdown -r now

Comment

Reboot and again, go into the Recovery mode. After logging in, type:
            Code:
            rm /var/cache/apt/* && rm /var/cache/apt/archives/*
            You should not get any errors and just see the prompt. This ensures that all downloaded packages, including interupted 'partially downloaded' ones are removed. It will also remove the lock file.

Then type:
            Code:
            apt-get update
            apt-get install -f
            apt-get dist-upgrade

Comment

The response to the first command was as follows:

rm: Cannot remove ' /var/cache/apt/archives': Is a directory
              rm: Cannot remove '/var/cache/apt/pkgcache.bin': Read-only file system
              rm: Cannot remove '/var/cache/apt/srcpkgcache.bin': Read-only file system

Because of the response, I did not enter the ensuing commands. Hope I did not screw up? Are Cannot removes the same as errors?

Thanks for your patience, friend.
              '

Reboot and again, go into the Recovery mode. After logging in, type:
              Code:
              rm /var/cache/apt/* && rm /var/cache/apt/archives/*
              You should not get any errors and just see the prompt. This ensures that all downloaded packages, including interupted 'partially downloaded' ones are removed. It will also remove the lock file.

Then type:
              Code:
              apt-get update
              apt-get install -f
              apt-get dist-upgrade

Comment

Can you boot into the Kubuntu normally? I guess I should have asked that initially.

Comment

Yes, but it has contained a 'System program problem detected' on the last 3 restarts. Nevertheless, it does boot to a working Operating System. Desktop looks right; widgets appear normal. I was able to open the Browser.

Can you boot into the Kubuntu normally? I guess I should have asked that initially.

Comment

Good. Open a console and type:
                    Code:
                    sudo rm /var/cache/apt/* && sudo rm /var/cache/apt/archives/*
                    Then:
                    Code:
                    sudo apt-get update
                    Code:
                    sudo apt-get install -f
                    Code:
                    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Comment

Could not remove 'sudo rm /var/cache/apt/archives/*' using the same reason as last attempt. Everything else seemed to go correctly. How do I verify success? Do I disconnect the ethernet cable and restart, then attempt connection via WiFi? I am in awe of you guys.

Good. Open a console and type:
                      Code:
                      sudo rm /var/cache/apt/* && sudo rm /var/cache/apt/archives/*
                      Then:
                      Code:
                      sudo apt-get update
                      Code:
                      sudo apt-get install -f
                      Code:
                      sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Comment

Yes.

Comment

After success with a tough one, one that makes me concerned about re-installation and all that configuration and installation of packages, it makes me unreasonably happy. I may not get the grin off my face for several days. You guys are so awesome. Thanks gobs!

Yes.

Comment

Working...
                          X