X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HDMI output in Kubuntu 14.4 32

hi

does anyone use HDMI output on demand and if so could you explain how it's done please?

K 14.4 64 AMD 955be3200MHz 8GB 1866Mhz 6TB Plex/samba.etc.+ Macbook Air 13".

It depends on the type of hardware you have, the nVidia proprietary driver I use has no problems.

With some applications like MSPlayer I need to get into the settings to enable audio playback.

Comment

I use the HDMI output on my laptop (HP-G62) and desktop (inspiron-560) both intel integrated graphics ,,,,,,,,works fine .

what exactly do you mean by "on demand" ?

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

oh ok.
        i mean. walking up to a tv plugging in hdmi and setting output to it.
        i have not tried this, its something ive been meaning to work out but i thought i could be lazy and post here

like a presentation, is it possible to plug hdmi in to a running laptop and set output to hdmi only?

thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by millusions View Post
          oh ok.
          i mean. walking up to a tv plugging in hdmi and setting output to it.
          i have not tried this, its something ive been meaning to work out but i thought i could be lazy and post here

like a presentation, is it possible to plug hdmi in to a running laptop and set output to hdmi only?

thanks in advance
          yes @hear .

I plug in and a dialog pops up asking if I want to configure it .

VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

Almost the same here, I plug in the TV, monitor or beamer and *without* any pop up I get a picture.
            I use the nVidia settings to change things like duplicate or extended desktop, because I prefer the extended desktop once set that's how it appears after plugging in.
            The problem with most if not all TV's is they are a couple of pixels short of the claimed 1080 HD.

Comment

I plugged mine in and nothing happens, maybe i try to start the laptop after plugging it in, after all the ssd bootup is pretty fast.
              its a big Sony LCD so yes to full 1080HD

Comment

What graphics device are you using? What driver is it using?

Comment

lspci |grep VGA
                  00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
                  01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Thames [Radeon HD 7500M/7600M Series] (rev ff)

lshw -c video
                  WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
                  *-display
                  description: VGA compatible controller
                  product: 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
                  vendor: Intel Corporation
                  physical id: 2
                  bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
                  version: 09
                  width: 64 bits
                  clock: 33MHz
                  capabilities: vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
                  configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
                  resources: irq:44 memory:f7800000-f7bfffff memory:d0000000-dfffffff ioport:f000(size=64)
                  WARNING: output may be incomplete or inaccurate, you should run this program as super-user.

Comment

This thread prompted me to try out the HDMI connection of my VIZO LCD. I plugged it into my laptop and powered on the laptop. I got two displays in the System Settings "Display and Monitor. I made the laptop the main display and started a YouTube movie using FireFox. It appeared on the LCD display. I could grab its top border and move it back and forth between the two displays. The movie only displayed while the browser was running on the LCD display, as you'd suspect. The mouse arrow moved seamlessly between the laptop display and the LCD display, the right border of the laptop display being the left border of the LCD display. The movie was gorgeous on the LCD display. The sound, however, only came through the laptop speakers.

Later today I may try it using the XBMC media center software.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                      This thread prompted me to try out the HDMI connection of my VIZO LCD. I plugged it into my laptop and powered on the laptop. I got two displays in the System Settings "Display and Monitor. I made the laptop the main display and started a YouTube movie using FireFox. It appeared on the LCD display. I could grab its top border and move it back and forth between the two displays. The movie only displayed while the browser was running on the LCD display, as you'd suspect. The mouse arrow moved seamlessly between the laptop display and the LCD display, the right border of the laptop display being the left border of the LCD display. The movie was gorgeous on the LCD display. The sound, however, only came through the laptop speakers.

Later today I may try it using the XBMC media center software.
                      ya you half to .... right click the speaker icon (kmix)>click audio setup>click audio hardware setup tab>click the profile dropdown and select digital stereo HDMI output

VINNY
                      16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                        ya you half to .... right click the speaker icon (kmix)>click audio setup>click audio hardware setup tab>click the profile dropdown and select digital stereo HDMI output

VINNY
                        Thanks, VINNY, that is exactly what I needed to know!
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

oh, come on!

thats no challange,

plug the laptop in while its booted

thanks for the tip Vinny

Comment

Working...
                          X