Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help a relatively new noob with kubuntu?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help a relatively new noob with kubuntu?

I've been fighting with kubuntu on and off for the last couple weeks and I can't seem to achieve what appears to be a very simple goal.

What I have:
    Asus P4C800E-Deluxe mobo.
    P4 3.4 w/ Hyperthreading
    2GB DDR
    BFG 6800GT (AGP) and a Viewsonic P220fb
    Seagate HDD 120GB SATA-150
    Creative Augigy

The kubuntu ISO I have is only about 2 weeks old.

I've sucessfully got it loaded and running. I've downloaded updates (107 or so). Can browse the web. Even installed Firefox.

What I want to do:
    I've only dabbled in Linux and lately I've had the itch to play with a new OS/GUI so I looked around and kubuntu was reccomended as the most complete distribution with a GUI.

The computer above is the one I use for general use, so I want to be able to browse the web and handle e-mail and news. I've sucessfully been able to get FireFox running, so I'm confident I can get Thunderbird up and running too.

I do however, have one 3D program I want to run. The Linux Alpha of the SecondLife client.

The Problem:

The SecondLife client requires a 32-bit color depth. It seems that the only way to set this is by manually editing the xorg.conf file. I've been told that I need to change the DefaultDepth from 24 to 32.

I've tried to do this by using: > sudo kate
    but when I save and restart, all I get is the Kubuntu boot status screen with no activity, which leads me to believe that the X server isn't loading.

Unfortunately, because I don't know the finer points of file manipulation in the Linux environment, I can't seem to get a reliable backup and restore of the xorg.conf file, meanign I have to reload every time I edit it.

My request:
    I guess the first step will be getting my desktop color depth to 32 bits sucessfully. If someone could help me do this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

Re: Help a relatively new noob with kubuntu?

I'd remembered reading somewhere the other day that 24bit color in Linux is the same as 32 bit color in Windows (the last 8 bits being redundant information or something?)....

I had a quick google, and this and this seem to say the same.

Sorry.

Comment

Re: Help a relatively new noob with kubuntu?

The problem is that the SecondLife client states that it requires 32-bit color.

On their forums, the fix is to change the xorg.conf file so that the Default Depth is 32. This seems to work for everyone. However, when I do that, the GUI won't load.

Comment

Working...
      X