This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by olgarosh View Post
    I can't figure out how to resize to a wider output in top?
    You need to stretch the terminal window horizontally to make it wider. Hold your cursor over the edge until it turns to a double arrow as shown below with the red arrow. Left click and drag to the right.

You can also shrink the font in the terminal window.

Make sure you start at the beginning when highlighting the text and capture the $ top. Continue all the way to the bottom.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
      You have 2 GB of RAM but only 160 MB is free... that seems pretty low. Unfortunately, in the output you posted from top...
      There is actually around 800 MB available to applications, page cache will be dynamically freed if applications need it.
      -/+ buffers/cache: 1257464 806836

Comment

Originally posted by olgarosh View Post
        In KsysGuard: pluginloader.exe takes 89% of CPU and Firefox hogs the memory.
        How do I know which plug in is it loading? is it possible that it's flash?
        but then how can I watch videos without it?
        pluginloader.exe is part of Pipelight, a version of Wine that embeds the Windows binaries for Flash and Silverlight into Linux desktop browsers. This could very well explain why you're running low on memory, as you're simply loading lots of processes into RAM to accomplish this. Unless you're watching Netflix, you really don't need this, as nothing else on the Internet uses Silverlight anymore. You can still install the Linux version of Flash, but it's old (meaning some videos won't play) and at some point Adobe will stop supplying security updates for it.

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
        There is actually around 800 MB available to applications, page cache will be dynamically freed if applications need it.
        Right, I always forget about that one.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
          Right, I always forget about that one.
          Of course, the swappiness setting will control how aggressively the system frees the cache. With a high setting the machine might decide to go swapping even if there is cache to be freed, so your remark is still relevant.

Comment

Working...
          X