X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't use space of the system partition

Hi all,

I've a problem with a computer that runs with kubuntu 14.04, the question is it has a 2 terabytes system disk, whose installation came from a 120gb SSD via cloning with clonezilla and resizing partitions automatically (I told this because perhaps can be important, perhaps not).

/dev/sda1 has 1,76 TiB, but it says that 1,65 TiB are unassigned, so I can't use the space. I have try to resize partition but gparted doesn't allow me to.

As you can see on picture, if I go to properties of partition it shows a warning message saying something like:

"Warning: 1.65 TiB of unassigned space on partition, to make filesystem grow in order to fill the partition, select partition and choose "Partition --> Check" from the menu"

I'm unable to, since this option doesn't appears.

My question is: How can I repair it so I can use all the space? If possible, I want to do it from the kubuntu installation, since I'm not phisically on the computer and only can connect remotely.

Many thanks in advance

You need to understand that there are two elements here. The partition, an area of continguous physical disk blocks with a defined starting and ending sector number; and the filesystem, the mechanism used to index and store data on disk. In your example, the partition is already the correct size, but the file system needs to be expanded to fill the partition. While changing the size of a partition on a running system can be a challenge, changing the size of a filesystem is quite easy. Open a console window and type sudo resize2fs /dev/sda1. The filesystem will automatically expand to fill the empty space in the partition.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
      You need to understand that there are two elements here. The partition, an area of continguous physical disk blocks with a defined starting and ending sector number; and the filesystem, the mechanism used to index and store data on disk. In your example, the partition is already the correct size, but the file system needs to be expanded to fill the partition. While changing the size of a partition on a running system can be a challenge, changing the size of a filesystem is quite easy. Open a console window and type sudo resize2fs /dev/sda1. The filesystem will automatically expand to fill the empty space in the partition.
      Many many thaks, SteveRiley!!

I'll try and tell the result.

Regards

Comment

Working...
      X